Can't use my mouse in efi bios. Asus P8P67

rickss69:
I have no problem (when I had the issue) after remvoving the USB receiver I had connected that was causing the drift and connecting a normal wired USB mouse. I've not had to reboot the PC to recover.

IS a mouse required with this MB, considering buying this MB but would want a BIOS that can be accessed and worked with only a PS2 keyboard plugged in.

IS a mouse required with this MB, considering buying this MB but would want a BIOS that can be accessed and worked with only a PS2 keyboard plugged in.

You can use a keyboard only. That's how I've been able to navigate my motherboards UEFI BIOS, with the all of the mouse drifting.

Update - We have isolated the Microsoft 3.1 receiver problem down to specific lots from MS, especially those sold in HP systems or from their store. Long story short, we are working with MS on what is causing the drift problem in these particular kits but should have resolution in the near future.

Just to add another non-working scenario
In the BIOS
With USB connected MS Wireless Multimedia Keyboard1.1, Wireless Optical Mouse 2000, Wireless Optical Desktop Receiver 2.1 the mouse is totally unusable.:( The pointer appears on the right of the screen but does not respond, just jumps around. The keyboard is barely usable; response is erratic.:(
(Having eventually got past the BIOS and installed W7 64 both mouse and keyboard OK.)

With PS2 connected MS Wireless Multimedia Keyboard1.0A, Wireless Optical Mouse , Wireless Optical Desktop Receiver 1.0A everything works great.:)

David

Now you know why if and when needed i still have two Serial port mice to work on computers on a low level if the usb topic starts bugging out.

In any case ps2 is still analog just as a Serial port is and should in theory react faster then usb meaning better.

A lot of integrated usb = junk imho on most mobos
Uou might want to get a high quality usb add in card for your computer .
That would probably fix the problem if your really set on using a usb mouse.

serial-mouse.jpg

I've built, sold, given away, and used many, many computer systems over the years.

I looked forward to when they removed serial connectors from the motherboards. The P8P67 has connectors for one, but no cable/port. I've disabled the ports on my machines (and those under my control elsewhere) via the BIOS for over a decade now. I've no use for any serial port device on any of my systems. Haven't had a floppy drive in many, many years, too. You still use one?

I would be happy if motherboard manufacturers got rid of the PS/2 ports as well. I don't need them, either.

It's been clearly demonstrated (to me) that the issue here is not the integrated USB of the P8P67, but rather I suspect a non-conformance to standards by Microsoft on the 3.1 USB receiver which most (all?) of the issues on this thread are using that are having issues.

At least, that's the receiver I'm using and it's the one giving me issues. None of my other USB devices have any issues with the motherboard's integrated USB.

update: Just noticed Gary Key has already responded and it does indeed look like a MS issue at the very least.

Gary: My USB receivers came from Office Max & Best Buy, MS Retail packaged products, though, so I suppose that constitutes from their store.

My thanks for getting the issue resolved quickly. I look forward to the updates.

Well I think the Intel OE P67 MB's have no PS/2 ports, so that tells me the fundamental shift has taken place to where USB is more stable than PS/2, meaning the PS/2 is some sort of emulation on the Ausus board, at least I would figure if it were part of the P67 chipset it would be on the Intel boards?

Still I have used PS2 mouse and keyboard for years and upgrading to USB adds quite a percentage to a P67 upgrade.

Glad this is just a wireless issue. I've never found a wireless keyboard/mouse I would trust on my system anyway.

@Gary
You think that we can have the fix of microsoft receiver 3.1 in final version "1302"?

I have the SAME Mouse drift problem.

Microsoft Wireless Desktop receiver 3.1

I have the same Mouse DRIFT problem.

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop receiver 2.1

I've built, sold, given away, and used many, many computer systems over the years.

I looked forward to when they removed serial connectors from the motherboards. The P8P67 has connectors for one, but no cable/port. I've disabled the ports on my machines (and those under my control elsewhere) via the BIOS for over a decade now. I've no use for any serial port device on any of my systems. Haven't had a floppy drive in many, many years, too. You still use one?

I would be happy if motherboard manufacturers got rid of the PS/2 ports as well. I don't need them, either.

If it were not for the PS/2 ports on the P8P67 I would not have been able to configure the BIOS on my machine to a satisfactory working state - so I am in no hurry to join the let's dump every thing legacy camp.

By the way, serial ports are useful for debuggers.

David

If it were not for the PS/2 ports on the P8P67 I would not have been able to configure the BIOS on my machine to a satisfactory working state - so I am in no hurry to join the let's dump every thing legacy camp.

By the way, serial ports are useful for debuggers.

David

And for those that need it, some company can make a PCI card with either PS/2 or serial ports.

Since flashed to 1302, sometimes my wireless mouse would stutter even when doing nothing. Not sure if there is something I can change to make it not do that. My mouse shares one USB wireless device with my wireless keyboard. It seems to work fine in the BIOS, but under Windows, out of nowhere it would stutter than goes away by itself.

Yes, wonderful - maybe.

The trouble is, I have seen references to withdrawing PCI slots.;)

David

And the PCI slots on the P67 are emulated, not as part of the core, so I wouldn't trust my system with a PCI PS/2.

Update -

We should have a hotfix for the MS Wireless Receiver 3.1 drift problem in about a week.

And the PCI slots on the P67 are emulated, not as part of the core, so I wouldn't trust my system with a PCI PS/2.

Sorry, I do not understand that.

The board has 2 physical PCI slots. As I understand it, such slots are merely where the Bus meets the real world. If that is so, what is there to emulate?

I am no expert but I am very willing to learn.

David

I have the MSI P67A-GD65 and my Logitech G700 mouse would not function in EFI unless I would turn the mouse off and back on via the switch on the bottom of the mouse. It does not matter what USB port I use and I have tried them all. I have had the issue with 4 different bios revisions as well. I dont have the drifting issue but I figured I'd mention what I had experienced.

Just rebuilt my system with a B3 mobo which has 1305 BIOS.
No difference in performance of Wireless Mouse/Keyboard in BIOS.
(No problem in Windows itself)

I just update bios to 1502 on Asus P8P67pro but no difference with Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop receiver 2.1 Drift problem

Well I think the Intel OE P67 MB's have no PS/2 ports, so that tells me the fundamental shift has taken place to where USB is more stable than PS/2, meaning the PS/2 is some sort of emulation on the Ausus board, at least I would figure if it were part of the P67 chipset it would be on the Intel boards?

Still I have used PS2 mouse and keyboard for years and upgrading to USB adds quite a percentage to a P67 upgrade.

Glad this is just a wireless issue. I've never found a wireless keyboard/mouse I would trust on my system anyway.

There are two (and only two) reasons to avoid wireless devices in general desktop use (other than hardware issues/failure) - RFI/EMI issues (lots of nearby wireless devices - even faulty shielded PCs or commercial appliances used in home environments, such as commercial microwave ovens - can cause EMI/RFI issues in apartment/condo complexes) or security. (The keylogger threat started *with* the increase in wireless-keyboard usage - now, there are hardware-based - but wireless - keyloggers in use.)

I've gone both USB and wireless since last year (incidentally, to Microsoft's Wireless Keyboard 6000 V.3 and Logitech V220 Cordless) and have no issues. However, Mom (who got the same setup, from me, as a present, for her old system) retreated back to a wired keyboard and mouse (both USB, incidentally) - however, for her, the issue was *battery life*, not response lag or security. (Incidentally, low battery power is a major cause for response lag in daily usage of both wireless keyboards *and* mice.)

The only reason there even *is* a cost-curve analysis comparing USB and PS/2 is because most of us have PS/2 keyboards and mice that are like old friends which we refuse to part with. (The Wireless Keyboard replaced the PS/2-based Internet Keyboard, also from Microsoft.) Most keyboards (even at the budget end) are either both or USB-only; besides, dongles that adapt PS/2 keyboards or mice to USB are both cheap and plentiful (in the case of retail-packaged keyboards/mice/desktop sets, they are often included).

PS/2 interfaces in motherboards are like IE 6 - on the endangered IT-species list.

Bumping this thread up since the problem still hasn't been resolved. I've been in direct contact with ASUS support without getting any further.

Since Gary is no longer active on the forum, I believe Raja@ASUS is the new go-to person.

I am having this problem ONLY when I have devices plugged into the internal USB headers. The mouse drifts to the right side in UEFI bios. It will also state during POST; 0 keyboard, 4 mice -- even though I have 1 keyboard, and 1 mouse... :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm using a Logitech G9x mouse.

I have the exact same problem with my P8Z68-v pro... what it resolved on this board?

I have the exact same problem with my P8Z68-v pro... what it resolved on this board?

We have replicated the issue with a rev 3.0 MS receiver I sent in. I was told by HQ that a BIOS fix for this should be ready for select beta tests some time this week. I can possibly get a BIOS for a couple of guys here to check out if you tell me the boards you are on and if you can run a beta test for me without spilling the BIOS to anyone else until it is ready to go live.

-Raja

We have replicated the issue with a rev 3.0 MS receiver I sent in. I was told by HQ that a BIOS fix for this should be ready for select beta tests some time this week. I can possibly get a BIOS for a couple of guys here to check out if you tell me the boards you are on and if you can run a beta test for me without spilling the BIOS to anyone else until it is ready to go live.

-Raja

Mine is a P8Z68-V PRO I'm open to test it if it doesn't screw up my board! I currently have the latest bios available 0501

whoa...so i just had this problem for the first time with the drift...turns out it was cause i had wingman rumblepad plugged in...one of the joysticks not staying still...so mustve been that

I have Asus P8P67 Deluxe and have same mouse drifting problems with MS Desktop 1000 with 3.1 receiver. Works OK in BIOS with wired USB mouse if wireless keyboard is disconnected. I also have occasional mouse freezing in Windows, which I've had with wired mouse and keyboard and with wired mouse plus wireless keyboard. Strangely, wireless mouse/keyboard combo hasn't given me any problems in Windows so far, just in the EFI BIOS. Look forward to a BIOS fix for this - if other P67 boards can cope with the 3.1 receiver then surely Asus can fix this. Why are we still waiting?

I have Asus P8P67 Deluxe and have same mouse drifting problems with MS Desktop 1000 with 3.1 receiver. Works OK in BIOS with wired USB mouse if wireless keyboard is disconnected. I also have occasional mouse freezing in Windows, which I've had with wired mouse and keyboard and with wired mouse plus wireless keyboard. Strangely, wireless mouse/keyboard combo hasn't given me any problems in Windows so far, just in the EFI BIOS. Look forward to a BIOS fix for this - if other P67 boards can cope with the 3.1 receiver then surely Asus can fix this. Why are we still waiting?

I asked for volunteers to help qualify the fix last week in another thread but got no response. As a result HQ will now pass me the BIOS next week after qualifying it on their end. Soon as I have the BIOSes I will post them up or notify.

-Raja

I asked for volunteers to help qualify the fix last week in another thread but got no response. As a result HQ will now pass me the BIOS next week after qualifying it on their end. Soon as I have the BIOSes I will post them up or notify.

-Raja

Good news! Look forward to that.

Is the new 0651 bios is fixing this? I did not see your post asking for volunteers

I can confirm that this BIOS has not fixed the drifting mouse problem. After many emails ASUS Tech support finanlly stated that they were not able to confirm whether any wireless mouse actually works, and that a fix was "hopefully" coming soon.

I figured this out myself... UEFI Bios interface is still unusable for me...

I've just flashed the 1805 BIOS (for P8P67 Deluxe) and it hasn't fixed the problem although the drifting seems a bit slower. I've had to resort to buying a cheap wired keyboard in order to make BIOS changes. Incidentally, this woks fine with a wireless Logitech mouse. The problem definitely seems to be the MS 3.1 (and probably earlier) receiver, supplied with their wireless keyboard/mouse combos.

I have the same problem here, with the drifting mouse and the keyboard sometimes randomly selecting. I have a logitech g500 mouse and a ms 3.1 wireless receiver. The problem seems to be with the MS 3.1 itself, even in BIOS, if you unplug ms 3.1 receiver, the drifting instantly disappears. This seems to be an issue on microsoft's part. Also my g500 mouse is a wired mouse, and i have tried using a wireless logitech mouse + ms 3.1 for keyboard. Same problem.

-Raja

Raja, can you please notify me if there is a new BIOS version coming out? I am willing to be a volunteer and test the BIOS version. I have the same problem as everyone else with the MS 3.1 receiver.

Thanks very much!

Back