Can't safely eject external HDD or USB

Stevan

n00b
Hello,

I have troubles safely ejecting 2 of my HDDs and a all USBs I tried. They can be all safely ejected on two other laptops.

I am using Dell 7070 SFF and have Win 10 Pro. This has been happening from the beginning (I have purchased and installed windows 2 weeks ago, however, only tried using external memories yesterday). I have tried many fixes I found on Google (uninstalled/installed again USB drivers), tried to update them from Dell's website (I have the newest version), tried some command through Run (don't really remember what it was :)). The only solution is to use Computer Management and mark the drive offline, but then I have to mark it online when I use it again.

And yes, when I try to eject it I close all active programmes.

Anyone has any idea what to do?

Cheers

Try This
If it does not work for you then uninstall it. I used it on my win7 machine because I like to be able to hide devices that do not need to be removed.

Hi, all my drivers were downloaded from Dell's website. But I didn't see USB specific drivers. Also, when I try to update them through Device Manager I get the message my drivers are up to date.

Hi guys, looks like a Microsoft issue. Windows Defender uses my external HDD and doesn't want to let it go. :) There are some fixes on the internet which don't work for me. Alternative disable Defender and install another AV or use third party products.

Hi guys, looks like a Microsoft issue. Windows Defender uses my external HDD and doesn't want to let it go. :) There are some fixes on the internet which don't work for me. Alternative disable Defender and install another AV or use third party products.
When you installed Windows 10 two weeks ago did you have the external drive connected? If so, that could be why Windows Defender is using it. Just a thought.

When you installed Windows 10 two weeks ago did you have the external drive connected? If so, that could be why Windows Defender is using it. Just a thought.
LOL good point. Windows probably installed some partition there without asking like typical. You should always plug every extra drive off when installing WIndows since the user has zero control over what happens.

Nope, nothing apart from Win USB was plugged in. I have plugged in external HDDs only after I had installed Windows and drivers to transfer docs, photos etc. I am not alone, there are a bunch of posts on the same issue.

this has been an issue with Windows 10 since its release. Good luck fixing it - some have no problems but when you do it seems to be unfixable for many. Update your bios and all of your drivers.

Back