Can't get second VGA display working with VGA to HDMI cable

dave247

n00b
So my old video card was a GeForce 9800GTX+ which had a DVI and VGA out. I had to displays set up and working fine -- main one was DVI and the other was VGA.

I got a new MSI R7850 to replace the old card. I connected my DVI monitor and then bought a VGA to DVI cable from Amazon to use with my VGA monitor. I connect the VGA monitor with the cable to find it doesn't work. The screen just reads "No VGA Cable" (Monitor is Dell S1709W). For the record, I've tried two different cables because I ordered two (one came from China and was taking forever).

I go into Display settings in Windows 7 and choose "Extend these displays" and the only option for display 2 reads "Display device on: VGA" and when I try to save, I get the message "unable to save display settings". Nothing seems to help.

I then go to the Desktop management in CCC and try to detect displays but it doesn't find any second monitor at all..

So, I'm guessing that its just not going to work. Unless.... I am not realizing that the HDMI out on the card is the main out and I should be using that, and the DVI is secondary... in which case, I could try connecting an HDMI to DVI from the monitor to the video card for my main monitor and then use a VGA to DVI for the second one... but I really don't want to waste money on more adapter cables.

On a 9800 they are using the same controllers which mean only one stream that supports the protected content. It's a hardware issue you might be able to split the DVI with something like an impact splitter but you are going to run into a lot of issues with the protected stream.

ok... wait.... so the problem is the VGA aspect of the hardware (that it's not compatible with HDCP) correct? What is the solution? Can I just get a HDMI monitor and then use that along with my DVI monitor?? Or am I only going to be able to use one or the other?

vga is compatible on a nondigital connection but the piece of hardware that does HDCP only has one channel on that card.

vga is compatible on a nondigital connection but the piece of hardware that does HDCP only has one channel on that card.

So, in summation, I am stuck with one single monitor with this video card, correct? Then my only other option is to get a second video card in there.

Does the card have 2 DVI connectors on the back? If so just try switching the cables on some cards only one of the DVI ports are compatible with the use of an adapter or adapter cable.

Does the card have 2 DVI connectors on the back? If so just try switching the cables on some cards only one of the DVI ports are compatible with the use of an adapter or adapter cable.

Apparently I have 2 x mini display ports, which I've never heard of until now. Then there is HDMI and DVI out. So maybe I can use the two mini display ports, but I'll need new adapter cables.

So I am assuming that you have your dvi monitor connected to the hdmi port via an adapter then?

As far as I know based on experience, displayport is the only one that doesn't have issues converting to DVI , Hdmi or VGA.

DVI can be split to VGA without issues but Hdmi always has issues with something because HDCP handshaking.

Okay I'm confused because in your first post you said you had bought a VGA to DVI cable and if you had your DVI monitor plugged in it's native connector and you only have one DVI port what were you trying to plug it into? DVI to VGA should work and HDMI to DVI should work.

Okay I'm confused because in your first post you said you had bought a VGA to DVI cable and if you had your DVI monitor plugged in it's native connector and you only have one DVI port what were you trying to plug it into? DVI to VGA should work and HDMI to DVI should work.

haha I know... its confusing to write out..

My monitors: 1 DVI and 1 VGA
My video card outs: DVI, HDMI, 2xMini display port

What I did: I naturally hooked up my DVI monitor to my DVI port on the video card. I then had the VGA monitor waiting to be connected, but needed a VGA to HDMI cable. Turns out that cable didnt work. Now I'm trying to figure out how the hell I can have 2 monitors with this card.

As screwy as it sounds it might be easier to do
HDMI -> DVI
DVI -> vga
just because the cables will be easier to get.

The DVI port is the only option for the VGA as far as I know none of the other ports being all digital will carry the legacy signal required. In which case as previously stated go DVI to VGA and HDMI to DVI. Depending on the card you got it may have come with a DVI to VGA adapter.

Wont this work :>

DVI -> cable to monitor
miniDP -> DVI adaptor = cable to monitor

i know what his problem is, he bout DVI-D to VGA, that wont work, as the "4" analog pin are not there

u can get DVI-A to VGA or FULL DVI to VGA

Full DVI to VGA
$_57.JPG

DVI-A to VGA
$T2eC16R,!zQFIcoqz)m)BSQLhdSQ9Q~~60_3.JPG

DVI-D to VGA
$_57.JPG

DVI-D is digital only, DVI-A is analogy only, so is safer to get FULL DVI

Back