Cant get my new build stable with the Abit IP35-E

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Got the IP35-E, paired with a Pent 4 3.06 GHZ.

2X4 gig of DDr2 800 Adata
74 gig Raptor.
IDE burner
Antec HE 550 Watt PS

I cant get it stable..When I go to install windows Vista, sometimes I will get an error saying it cant create the partition on the raptor.

other times Vista will install but then will hang up once in windows. Really weird crap..

I had an AMD set up in there and it was just fine..So definitely something with this setup.

With these kinds of issues, not sure where to begin..Your guys thoughts?

In the Windows 95/98/2000 days, stuff like that was always ram or power supply problems. This bit of advice might be useless since you are installing Vista and lots of things have changed since then, but I'd leave in just one stick of RAM and see what happens.

If you have bad ram on your hands it will make your week very frustrating. If leaving one stick in has the same effect try the other one. Then try them both in again. Try to weed out if one is bad and if so, RMA it.

how much RAM have you got installed whilst trying to install Vista?
there is a known problem (on all mobos) with more than 3Gb installed.

4 gig..

Would that happen at the beginning where it claims there is a problem where it cant create the partition etc?

Or if not, when do these problems surface?

The problem is your Raptor, I and many others have had the same problem. Many Raptors and P35 boards do not work well together. I could not format my Raptor for an XP install, but all of my other drives worked fine; the Raptor was in 100% working order.

You're going to have to ditch the raptor, sorry.

I've install Vista64 many times on systems with 4gb or 8gb and never had this issue.:confused:
What is the symptom?

The problem is your Raptor, I and many others have had the same problem. Many Raptors and P35 boards do not work well together. I could not format my Raptor for an XP install, but all of my other drives worked fine; the Raptor was in 100% working order.

Any more info on this? I hate to replace my raptor...But I cant seem to locate any more info on it...

But what you are describing is what I am having...It will try and format, say there was an error formatting it, than it will disappear from the list of drives to install too..

Another thing you could try is doing a low-level format of your raptor before installing the new OS on it. I had a similar problem, grabbed the WD HDD util from their site, and then did a low level format of the drive, or whatever the write 0's to the entire drive setting is. After that it worked fine for me.

Just something else you can try before ditching the raptor.

Do a search for Raptor here http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48 I sold my Raptor and replaced it with a 6400AAKS; I short-stroked the drive and made that partition my boot partition.

I suppose an alternative would be a PCI or PCI-E SATA card as well. The problem is caused by a combination of the raptor's firmware and the ICH9.

Well, guys, you all were right...I replaced the raptor and all my problems went away..

I guess I am going to be forced to sell it now...Thanks though..

I sure am glad I got it fixed..

That happened to me too but with a western digital hard drive. Turns out all I needed to do was replace the hard drive

Back