cant decide on server rack

I've purchases the SR4Post before (Check Amazon- usually cheapest) and it is well built, includes some plastic D-ring wire managers and a bag of starter screws for mounting equipment. Solid construction, stable, no complaints.
I haven't purchased that StartTech unit, but I have purchased and deployed the 25U StarTech with Casters. Construction and hardware is cheaper than the TrippLite unit, but goes together solid. No complaints once it was together. I have about 500 pounds of quipment in it and it rolls easily. No cable management included, but I didn't want it as I used vertical and horizontal finger duct for cable management. Starter mount fasteners are included but are of lower quality.

For the same price, I would go with the TrippLite. I would have no reservations purchasing the StarTech for a discount from the TrippLite unit.

I have the Tripp-lite 25U version and absolutely love it. Buy an extra bag of screws from them if you will be putting a decent amount of stuff in it.

I ended up getting the Tripp Lite from Amazon early this morning. Its funny it was the same price as the 25U Tripp Lite version and 36U Startech. I think the 50 M6 nuts/screws will be enough for now.

I also ended up getting 2 Tripp Lite shelves (for the things that aren't rack mountable like modem/wireless router/printer and maybe even some laptops that will sit on the rack for things that can't be virtualized and don't need powerful hardware) and a surge protector.

Everything should arrive by Saturday.

Just out of curiosity do you guys think that that rack is capable of holding more than 1000 lbs? Not that I will reach that any time soon.

Depends on what it is sitting on, and whether it is braced to walls.
If it is free standing and loaded with heavy servers up top, the failure mode will be a twisting collapse. Most floors aren't rated for that kind of load either.
It is definitely sturdy and does not instill fear of failure.

Oh no I understand that for full weight it needs to be stabilized and that racks load bottom up so that they don't tip.

Guess I was more interested in the quality. This rack was for home and I wanted an open rack because easy to disassemble and move around compared to a cabinet that can't be taken apart typically.

I have seen cheap racks before that look like they were 4 post aluminum and were pretty beat up while not holding much equipment.

We've got a Tripp Lite open frame rack at work and it's sturdy enough. We've got plenty of weight in it. I've worked with many nicer racks, but they all come at a much higher price.

It's pretty damn sturdy in my opinion.

Yup. I'm not going to contradict Tripp-Lite's ratings, but I wouldn't feel the need to break out the scale every time I add something. In a residential setting, I think your floor would give out/crack before the rack did- and I'm assuming slab on grade or basement. I think you'll be very pleased.

For Mine I loaded about 6 Us worth of servers starting about 3' off the floor and patch bays + heavy enterprise switches. The servers were all 4-post slide mounted and the switches were just mounted to the front two posts. Rock solid.

Just a follow up post. I am using the Tripp Lite rack and it is very nice for the price I paid from Amazon. Definitely very sturdy and comes with decent amount of accessories to get you started like M6 nuts/screws and cable management hooks. Definitely would recommend it to others.

Just a follow up post. I am using the Tripp Lite rack and it is very nice for the price I paid from Amazon. Definitely very sturdy and comes with decent amount of accessories to get you started like M6 nuts/screws and cable management hooks. Definitely would recommend it to others.

Thanks for letting us know! Anything you felt was missing, or should be purchased with it?

I ended up purchasing 2 shelves so it would have been nice if one or two of them was included because everyone has a modem/gateway device or some other random piece of equipment that is not rack mountable.

I ended up purchasing 2 shelves so it would have been nice if one or two of them was included because everyone has a modem/gateway device or some other random piece of equipment that is not rack mountable.

1u network gear makes for a fine shelf :D

The stuff I do have (older Cisco routers/switch) is not deep and I don't have any rack ears for it.

Back