Can't decide between these hx850/hx1000

techpriest

Limp Gawd
I need some confirmation before I pull the trigger.

(still gathering the parts):

i7 930 to 3.8ht
3x2gb ddr3 @ 1600 @stock
asus p6td deluxe
4xhdd
2x5870's (@stock)
storm sniper case (1x120mm fan, 2x200mmfan)
1xdvd-rw drive
x-fi sound card

Corsair's psu calc says I need hx1000 while outervisions extreme says 566w. So is a hx850 cutting it close?

I would go with the HX850. It's cheaper and a better PSU. You don't need a 1kW PSU for that system.

I was going to get the HX1000 (2 500W PSUs in one case.) myself, but decided it was overkill. I agree the HX850 is the better buy for your needs. Which are similar to my future plans which a PSU calculator rated 650W being sufficient with OC'd parts and all. I just like the extra overhead with the HX850.

I would go with the HX850. It's cheaper and a better PSU. You don't need a 1kW PSU for that system.

This. I've seen the HX850 handling 1000w+ in a review or two.
The HX850 comes with a 2 hardwired PCI-e power cables and 4 Modular PCI-e cables, whereas the HX750 just comes with 4 PCI-e modular cables.
Just thought I'd mention this, in case you're a neat freak and want everything to match.

thank you guys! I'll be saving some money and going with the hx850 can't wait to set this up

Right on! My HX850 arrived and I couldn't be happier with it. Frankly the HX1000 is a complete waste of money, it's not even made by Seasonic if that matters to anyone. It does to me. Also, the 850 has a 7 year warranty versus the 5 year on the 1000. That says something about Corsair's confidence in the 1000 doesn't it?

I chose the 750W version of it and it was definitely enough to run my i7 setup with 2 5870s. These are some underestimated PSUs.

Right on! My HX850 arrived and I couldn't be happier with it. Frankly the HX1000 is a complete waste of money, it's not even made by Seasonic if that matters to anyone. It does to me. Also, the 850 has a 7 year warranty versus the 5 year on the 1000. That says something about Corsair's confidence in the 1000 doesn't it?

Well the 850HX isn't made by Seasonic either...

And no it doesn't say anything....

@ Jshay
Your sig says HD 5850, not HD 5870. Might want to clarify that.....

I got Corsair 1000HX and very happy with it. You cannot go wrong with Corsair 1000HX.

I got a new Corsair HX850W yesterday and installed it last night, replacing my old PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad. The installation itself was quick and simple. The build quality was clearly excellent. Everything I have seen so far jives perfectly with the review here on HardOCP.

As to which power supply to purchase if choosing between the 850 and the 1000 version... Only go with the 1000 if you ABSOLUTELY need over 850 watts of continuous power. The 1000 is less energy efficient than the 850, by about 2-4%, depending on exact wattage. So you are paying more up front for the PSU, then paying more on the backend for power as well. So there is simply no point to purchasing a 1000 over an 850 unless you truly need the additional power.

I got Corsair 1000HX and very happy with it. You cannot go wrong with Corsair 1000HX.

Agreed, if it's needed. Seems in this case they can save a few bucks and have room to spare with the HX850.

It really was a hard choice. I flip flopped for weeks (While waiting for funds.) but as mentioned, decided 850W was plenty for now. If I needed more juice, I'd get the HX1000 in a heartbeat. (And probably will when I build my next rig.)

Will the HX850 cables be long enough for a large case like a Cooler Master HAF 932. I want to go modular and stay with Corsair as well.

Mine is in the 800D (And it's HUGE as we all know.) I did have to use the 6/8pin extension cable supplied with the case. The 24 pin (And modular wires are) was fine for distance, but I added a sleeved extension simply for the sleeving look not because I need the length.

You should be fine in the HAF.

Will the HX850 cables be long enough for a large case like a Cooler Master HAF 932. I want to go modular and stay with Corsair as well.

ive got a HAF 932 and a HX850, everything fits, but i used the cable extender that the HAF case came with to get the 4 pin AUX cpu power, i didnt like it being stretched out

I chose the 750W version of it and it was definitely enough to run my i7 setup with 2 5870s. These are some underestimated PSUs.

Damn skippy. Check my specs and I am using the 750 and it runs like a champ. I even OC'd the crap out of that 750!

Go HX850 because its a single rail and 1000 is not.

I just got one a few months ago and I drive a 5970. Its the best power supply I've ever bought. I love the modular design

Thx to those who said the HX850 will fit into the HAF 932 case. Not sure what I did what that extender cable that came with my case, but hopefully I can find it.

Thx to those who said the HX850 will fit into the HAF 932 case. Not sure what I did what that extender cable that came with my case, but hopefully I can find it.

Are you saying the cables weren't long enough?
I had an HX520 in a Sniper and a LanCool PC-K62 & everything was fine for it.

I used an HX850 in my current HAF 932 until I upgraded to HX1000. It worked for me.

Are you saying the cables weren't long enough?
I had an HX520 in a Sniper and a LanCool PC-K62 & everything was fine for it.

I don't have the power supply yet since I still have the TX850 in my case ATM. I was just wondering since Adrenalin_2099 made this comment: "I've got a HAF 932 and a HX850, everything fits, but i used the cable extender that the HAF case came with to get the 4 pin AUX cpu power, i didnt like it being stretched out." I did find my extender cable and may or may not use it.

Last edited:
Back