Can't decide between i7-950 and i7-2600K

I got 12GB (3x4GB) kit of Corsair Vengeance ddr31600 in my hands. I am torn between selecting the i7 950 and the i7 2600K. I am replacing the cpu/mobo/ram items in my current system (see sig.) Microcenter is 5 minutes from my work and I can pick up an i7 950 for $199 or the i7 2600K for $279.99. So guys what should i do? Go with the 2nd generation and pay the 2nd generation price or stick with the 1st generation. The difference between the two after much research is that the 2600K is 32nm vs 45nm (i7 950) and it can overclock higher, runs cooler and draw less power. Below are some additional questions/info:

1.) Is there a difference in performance between tri-channel vs. dual channel?
2.) I will be using the new build for the following:
+ software development (c/c++/c#/java)
+ cs4 and upgrading to cs5
+ video encoding
+ occasional gaming (FPS)
+ VMs
3.) Are the mobo for the i7-2600K stable enough since right now is the initial release
4.) If i go with i7-2600K probably get another 4GB stick so use up all the slot (4x slots).

So what do you guys think? TIA.

I would say go 2600K. Much easier to overclock than the 950, and you pretty much stated all the advantages over the 950. Even at 3.4 GHz, the 2600K is faster than a 920 clocked at 3.6 GHz. As far as stability goes, I'm using MSI's P67A-GD65 and I have been really happy with it. All instabilities are from my overclocking trials.

In my opinion, only you can really answer that. It all depends on if your programming is more dependent on higher CPU speeds or more memory bandwidth. For what I do, CPU wins, so I went with SB

So all the instability issues of the mobos i see on this forum for the 2600K is due to the fact that the user were overclocking and tweaking? Yeah i probably won't be overclock in the first month. Need a month or two to let the cpu/mobo/memory go through a break in period.

I would say go 2600K. Much easier to overclock than the 950, and you pretty much stated all the advantages over the 950. Even at 3.4 GHz, the 2600K is faster than a 920 clocked at 3.6 GHz. As far as stability goes, I'm using MSI's P67A-GD65 and I have been really happy with it. All instabilities are from my overclocking trials.

Yes, compiling is a very CPU intensive operation, that and I/0.... I have two drives in Raid0 for that... but eventually upgrade to an SSD when prices are more reasonable.

In my opinion, only you can really answer that. It all depends on if your programming is more dependent on higher CPU speeds or more memory bandwidth. For what I do, CPU wins, so I went with SB

So all the instability issues of the mobos i see on this forum for the 2600K is due to the fact that the user were overclocking and tweaking? Yeah i probably won't be overclock in the first month. Need a month or two to let the cpu/mobo/memory go through a break in period.

I'm not sure that electronics are subject to a "break-in" period. You don't need to worry about RAM dividers or anything like that, just up the CPU voltage to 1.25, change multiplier to 42, and you're on your way. It's when you want to push even higher that you have to start guess-and-checking voltage/multiplier combinations, and if your voltage isn't high enough, that leads to instability.

hehe i was referring to my mental state for the "break-in" period. You know how when you buy something new you want to keep that pristine state as long as possible. But for this I might just go ahead and just unleash all it's power by your recommendation of upping the voltage and multiplier :) Thanks for the advice.

hehe i was referring to my mental state for the "break-in" period. You know how when you buy something new you want to keep that pristine state as long as possible. But for this I might just go ahead and just unleash all it's power by your recommendation of upping the voltage and multiplier :) Thanks for the advice.

For the MSI board, it's even easier. Just push the OC Genie button on the motherboard and turn your computer on. Instant 4.2 GHz. I had to manually set my command rate on my memory though, it detected it as 1T and automatically set my ram voltage to 1.64 V to keep it stable.

So during my lunch break I went to Microcenter and pluck down the i7-2600K. It's $279.99 but after tax it's $296.79. That place is packed to the rim in the middle of the work day. Totally a mad house over there.

IMO, you made the best choice. The X58 platform is no longer relevant except for those who want 6 cores and/or more than 2 video cards.

I built an i7 950 system a few months ago just because I wanted to and I'm kicking myself now for not waiting for a 2600K. If I could do it all over I would have kept my old system for a few extra months and gone with SB. If you are anything like me you'll regret not spending the extra and getting the big boy.

My wife bought me a 950 / board / mem for xmas..... I actually didn't mess with them at all.. (didn't know about SB)

Then I read the SB info posted here..... WOW... Thankfully they took the return and I'm now typing this on the new 2600k that I bought for ..... 70$ less then what the wife spent... Just enough for a new HAF 922.... okay okay I spent an extra 30$ :p

Axe

That was one of things that I kept thinking about if i went with the 950. But at the end getting the 2600K was a good move i'm sure even though we all don't know how long this socket will last.

I built an i7 950 system a few months ago just because I wanted to and I'm kicking myself now for not waiting for a 2600K. If I could do it all over I would have kept my old system for a few extra months and gone with SB. If you are anything like me you'll regret not spending the extra and getting the big boy.

That's awesome! Good things comes to those who wait :D

My wife bought me a 950 / board / mem for xmas..... I actually didn't mess with them at all.. (didn't know about SB)

Then I read the SB info posted here..... WOW... Thankfully they took the return and I'm now typing this on the new 2600k that I bought for ..... 70$ less then what the wife spent... Just enough for a new HAF 922.... okay okay I spent an extra 30$ :p

Axe

The lessons from people having SB issues are:

1. Update your BIOS
2. and clear your CMOS once you update the BIOS
3. Have the newest Intel chipset drivers and MEI
4. No seriously, update the BIOS

IMO, you made the best choice. The X58 platform is no longer relevant except for those who want 6 cores and/or more than 2 video cards.

P67 is limited to 8x8x just like all the other P chipsets yea? So high resolution gaming w/ more than 1 card = X58.

P67 is limited to 8x8x just like all the other P chipsets yea? So high resolution gaming w/ more than 1 card = X58.

I think you missed the [H] evaluation that showed there is maybe a 3% difference between 16/16 and 8/8.

Look up NIB i7 970 CPUs on ebay. They aren't as expensive they are on newegg, etc., and then there's some clear air between what you're getting and the SB equivalent.

One reason I went with an LGA 1366 setup (over a year ago) for my development workstation is RAM - I run VMs to test various server APIs on my machine, and I've never regretted the decision. I currently have 12GB, and I'm sure I'll upgrade RAM at least once before the workstation is obsolete.

OP is contemplating because he has triple channel memory already.

If you are building new there's no reason for you to go 1366 unless you want that $1000 hex core.

If you already have i7 there's no reason for you to go Sandy either unless you love throwing away money at new technology.

OP is contemplating because he has triple channel memory already.

If you are building new there's no reason for you to go 1366 unless you want that $1000 hex core.

If you already have i7 there's no reason for you to go Sandy either unless you love throwing away money at new technology.

OP already made the right choice and got a 2600K :p

I got the i7-2600k on Thursday during my lunch break at Microcenter. By Friday I learn of the Microcenter i7-2600K bundle with the ASUS p8p67 Pro. I ended up return the thursday purchase and got the bundle. p67 pro at $159 was a no brainer as I do not have to decide on a mobo anymore. I'm pretty happy!

Sounds to me like you have some ram in your hand making a decision for you. I'd just go with what you can afford honestly. SB is great if you want to overclock if you dont save your buck and get 950.

I do that too. I still haven't overclocked my i7-870 for this reason. I did, however, overclock my GPU but only like 50Mhz on the GPU and Memory.

What are you guys smoking, i7/X58 combo is no longer relevant? They are both stellar platforms and for the cost of the 9XX's versus the higher cost of the 2600K, saying there is no situation for a 950 is just ridiculous. There are situations, but there are advantages to the 2600K. Not saying the OP didnt make a good choice, but I didnt see a wrong choice. The 950 is a serious overclocker even on air doing more than 4.2Ghz in most cases.

In many parts of the world, like here in NZ, the cost of the latest and greatest usually carries a premium because stocks are very slow to build up. An SB setup can be cost prohibitive. Not that I am saying that it applies to the OP. Just saying they are both good solutions.

Fact of the matter is, sadly but true, many wont even be overclocked and I am sure the baby Jesus weeps each and every time. Frankly Intel crapped on 1156 and will crap on 1155 soon enough, writing is on the wall. X58 has been very good to buyers and still has legs to upgrade for more time (read server chips). I cant say the same is true for 1155.

Basically, 1155 is great, 1366 is also great, 1366 isn't gone nor is it soley only left for 980X, that is just silly.

X58 has been very good to buyers
It's received some relatively minor speed bumps (afaict the slowsest and the fastest quad core chip on that platform are only seperated by about 20%) and some expensive six core processors but other than that afaict little has changed with the platform since it's initial release. The fact it remained king of the hill was more down to nothing revolutionary coming out on any other platform either.

There was a suggestion when intel released the 980x that a non-extreme 6-core processor would arrive 6 months later at a more affordable pricetag but when it came out it was barely any cheaper.

1366 isn't gone
No it's not gone but other than some minor speed bumps I doubt it will be getting any new stuff either. Afaict intel has made it pretty clear that high end sandy bridge stuff will be on one or more new sockets not on LGA1366.

Looking at anandtech bench it seems a 2500K beats a 950 in most tests and at least in the places i've looked (I even did a search for a NZ retailer) it's quite a bit cheaper. A 970 beats a 2600K in highly multithreaded tests but most desktop stuff isn't highly multitheaded and a 2600K is a lot cheaper than a 970.

If CPU performance at a reasonable pricetag is your priority then LGA1155 is the way to go. If you prorities lie elsewhere then LGA1366 may still be a decent choice.

Last edited:
No comparison. Take the 2600k. 1366 is finished and there is absolutely no reason to buy one new (Note: I'm on 1366, and it's still quite potent. Not worth buying new over SB by a long shot though.)

It's received some relatively minor speed bumps (afaict the slowsest and the fastest quad core chip on that platform are only seperated by about 20%) and some expensive six core processors but other than that afaict little has changed with the platform since it's initial release. The fact it remained king of the hill was more down to nothing revolutionary coming out on any other platform either.

There was a suggestion when intel released the 980x that a non-extreme 6-core processor would arrive 6 months later at a more affordable pricetag but when it came out it was barely any cheaper.

No it's not gone but other than some minor speed bumps I doubt it will be getting any new stuff either. Afaict intel has made it pretty clear that high end sandy bridge stuff will be on one or more new sockets not on LGA1366.

Looking at anandtech bench it seems a 2500K beats a 950 in most tests and at least in the places i've looked (I even did a search for a NZ retailer) it's quite a bit cheaper. A 970 beats a 2600K in highly multithreaded tests but most desktop stuff isn't highly multitheaded and a 2600K is a lot cheaper than a 970.

If CPU performance at a reasonable pricetag is your priority then LGA1155 is the way to go. If you prorities lie elsewhere then LGA1366 may still be a decent choice.

My comment on 1366 being good to buyers was those that purchased prior to SB, have had a long time to enjoy the performance domination (akin to the 8800GTX). Saying that there was nothing better to come along doesnt make my statement untrue.

It's no surprise that SB is a great refresh to the situation and the lower nm is a plus as well. Not everyone is getting 4.5Ghz+ on the OC side, side by side they are both within a small gap of performance and it isnt fair to discount the previous incarnations completely. Most motherboard manufacturers have recognized this as well and are releasing new X58 based boards with all the latest bells and whistles (such as Asus Sabertooth). I also see in quite a few reviews that at stock the 950 and K series trade blows for superiority.

Not argue the facts really, I have a feeling we are on the same wavelength as far as what we would choose. But it is hard to argue with my point as a whole, that buyers out there need to weigh their individual needs and consider all options. Even on your pricing in NZ checkup (and I know because I am a component supplier in the area), you can find competitive pricing sure, but can you get the hardware in your hands. Supply is far beaten by demand right now. Case in point I picked up my new i7-950 (installed it into my already running Gigabyte UD5 board up from my 920C and gained another 400mhz on the OC) last week and considered an SB 2500K combo for a new build. It cost me almost half the amount to buy a 950 with Asus P6T (also considering most suppliers are full of X58 stock) than a similar combo for SB 2500K/board. I couldnt justify the additional $ for the performance difference. No brainer really. To each their own best solution really.

Last edited:

Those of us buying the SB now will also be kicking ourselves when Ivy Bridge comes out later this year. At some point you just have to jump in and enjoy the ride! And I've waited long enough! :p ( if that makes you feel any better)!

I got 12GB (3x4GB) kit of Corsair Vengeance ddr31600 in my hands. I am torn between selecting the i7 950 and the i7 2600K. I am replacing the cpu/mobo/ram items in my current system (see sig.) Microcenter is 5 minutes from my work and I can pick up an i7 950 for $199 or the i7 2600K for $279.99. So guys what should i do? Go with the 2nd generation and pay the 2nd generation price or stick with the 1st generation. The difference between the two after much research is that the 2600K is 32nm vs 45nm (i7 950) and it can overclock higher, runs cooler and draw less power. Below are some additional questions/info:

1.) Is there a difference in performance between tri-channel vs. dual channel?
2.) I will be using the new build for the following:
+ software development (c/c++/c#/java)
+ cs4 and upgrading to cs5
+ video encoding
+ occasional gaming (FPS)
+ VMs
3.) Are the mobo for the i7-2600K stable enough since right now is the initial release
4.) If i go with i7-2600K probably get another 4GB stick so use up all the slot (4x slots).

So what do you guys think? TIA.

I struggled long and hard to decide if I wanted to go SB or stick with the 1366 socket. In the end I decided to stay with 1366 ( yes, I know, crazy) but if I had decided upon SB, I would have purchased the 2600K. This chip has a lot of headroom and no downside in the foreseeable future.

Just my 2 cents.

I have both CPU's (well a few of the Xeon W3550 which is the equivalent of the i7-950 with ECC support alongside a i7-2600K and i5-2500K)

First off, the X58 has, as others have stated, six DIMM slots on most motherboards. I just put 24GB in one of the machines... for <$270! Memory bandwidth does become a big issue when you are running lots of VM's in a test environment.

Second, the X58 has more PCIe lanes which is always handy.

Third, the X58 platform is really mature at this point, most issues/ bugs have been worked out by now whereas the P67/H67 boards are still somewhat buggy (both of mine do triple reboots for example).

Fourth, if you do want to run ECC RAM, the X58 has options that the Sandy Bridge platform still does not. It is pretty easy to convert an LGA 1366 chip to a server CPU if you really want.

Fifth, the Sandy Bridge platform is undoubtedly faster where you do not get memory constrained. Overclocking makes this more obvious. Then again, someone purchasing an i7-920 in November 2009 has a good chance that they have a 4GHz Core i7 CPU for the last two plus years and excluding things like the AES-NI/ Quick Sync technologies, the new Sandy Bridge is not THAT much faster, but make no doubt it is a bit faster and it does hit higher clocks.

Sixth, Sandy Bridge does use less power which is a good thing. It also means you do not need as exotic of cooling and power supply to get to the same clocks. This generally will translate to a lower noise solution.

Finally, on which one is better, Sandy Bridge for most applications... caveat here is it would be a pain to purchase a board today, build a system around it, then have to re-build after the current board is RMA'd.

Back