Can't data migrate bootable Win10 pro from NVMe SSD to SATA SSD

kindasmart

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using Samsung data migration tool. The NVMe drive is 512 GB with less than 100 GB used. The SATA SSD drive is 256 GB.

I have successfully migrated these situations...
1) Bootable o/s SATA HDD to SATA GB 870 EVO = Bootable/Working 870 EVO
2) Bootable o/s SATA 840 pro SSD to SATA 870 EVO = Bootable/Working 870 EVO
3) Bootable o/s SATA 870 EVO back to SATA 840 pro SSD = Bootable/Working 840 pro

I thought I was getting good with data migration but when I try to migrate NVMe to SATA SSD it doesn't work.

After the migration is complete with no reported errors I remove the NVMe drive and leave the migrated SATA SSD in system. I ensure all the bios options are set correctly. When I attempt booting with the freshly migrated SATA SSD I get a Windows blue screen saying can't find bootable disk.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I want to use the system with the bootable NVMe drive but have a bootable/working SATA SSD in cause the system I give to my pops become corrupted I can drop in the "ready to go" SATA SSD and get the computer working quickly again.

Enable the Microsoft AHCI driver, either before or after cloning.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci
Start -> 0 (for drivers, this means it's a required driver for booting)

Alternately, you might be able to boot into safe mode, which might detect that there's a new AHCI device present in the system and automatically enable the driver for subsequent normal boots.

Otherwise the ole bootrec/bootsect commands might help.

Enable the Microsoft AHCI driver, either before or after cloning.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci
Start -> 0 (for drivers, this means it's a required driver for booting)

Alternately, you might be able to boot into safe mode, which might detect that there's a new AHCI device present in the system and automatically enable the driver for subsequent normal boots.

Otherwise the ole bootrec/bootsect commands might help.
I'll check that registry key to see what it says or exists. I did play with the BIOS a bit and found:

BIOS.jpg

On a whim I set it to Other OS and Win10 booted into 1024x768. ?? safe mode ?? -- I then tried rebooting and same thing. 1024x768. I couldn't change setting so drivers are not being loaded. I tried setting the BIOS back to "Windows 10" in the above BIOS settings and the system did boot to desktop, but again into safe mode.

Closer at least.

Thanks for the help.

Is any AHCI/SATA controller or device listed in the device manager when you do boot into safe mode? Depending on your motherboard it might require a different AHCI driver (assuming you have the SATA mode set to AHCI in UEFI).

Issue resolved. But kinda iffy on the reasons why.

I did see an AHCI driver in device manager so that wasn't the issue. After the initial OS install I went to the Gigabyte website and downloaded and installed all the motherboard drivers. Win10 fully updated/patched before the migration attempt. Everything looked right in the BIOS, SATA SSD properly detected, set to boot, etc. Tried disable/enable fast boot, etc. Nothing there.

I also booted with my Win10 install USB and went through the troubleshooting options there. Nothing. I'm no expert.

Then by some fluke I want back into the BIOS (look up a few posts) and set the "Windows 10 Features" option to "Windows 10 WHQL" ---set to Win10 during install and migration---

AND BY GOD IT WORKED!!!!!!111111!1!11!!!

I was able to boot to a normal looking desktop from the migrated SATA SSD. Windows seemed to hiccup for 1/2 a second, driver change? Who knows. Reboots normally. Checked windows update, all good. Set BIOS back to just "Windows 10" and everything still works.

My uninformed speculation as to why this happened? Windows was installed to a NVMe SSD. Then I installed the Gigabyte drivers and because a SATA boot drive was not detected the a SATA AHCI driver was not installed? Or the driver was installed but wasn't configured correctly because there was no boot SATA device. When BIOS set to "WHQL" (use WHQL drivers only?!?) a stock driver was used, Windows could boot, then properly configure the Gigabyte specific AHCI driver?

I'm always stymied by the stoooopidest crapola. haha.

At least now when my 90 yo pop is tricked into upgrading to Win 11, I can use the SATA SSD to reset the system back to Win10 quickly.

When BIOS set to "WHQL" (use WHQL drivers only?!?) a stock driver was used, Windows could boot, then properly configure the Gigabyte specific AHCI driver?
thats what i would assume. it was being goofy over the driver. getting into safemode might have let it change too as thats all you have to do to switch from old ide to ahci.

I've had issues with the Samsung Migration Tool as well on the couple machines I tried it on. So I stopped using it and stick to my tried and true Paragon or Macrium software with no issues for SSD migrations/upgrades.

I've had issues with the Samsung Migration Tool as well on the couple machines I tried it on. So I stopped using it and stick to my tried and true Paragon or Macrium software with no issues for SSD migrations/upgrades.
In my case I think the Samsung software wasn't at fault but there are so many possible combinations of PCs and software that bugs are bound to happen.

One minor issue I had with the Samsung tool was that the program windows was not moveable or resizeable and the "start" button was under the task bar and I couldn't figure it out for a minute. I had to auto-hide the task bar then I was able to see the button. The second issue I have with the Samsung software is that you can only migrate TO their drives, not FROM their drives. I migrated, successfully, a mechanical HDD to their SSD then formatted the HDD to use for other purposes. I later decided that I wasn't going to use the SSD in that computer but couldn't migrate back from SSD to the original HDD.

Doh!

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to clone back to the HDD. Fresh reinstalling might be a problem as it's an old Lenovo crapbox.

Back