• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can't convert to dynamic disk

Bigzaj

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
96
I just initialized a 6TB raid array, and I am trying to convert it to a dynamic disk but WHS won't let me.

It throws an error telling me the operation did not complete and check the system event log, when I do there is nothing there. I downloaded the hotfix for this issue but it tells me it can't install because it is an older version than my service pack.

Anyone know how to get WHS to convert this new array to a dynamic disk so I can expand it in the future?
 
You used Windows RAID? I doubt you can use dynamic with WHS.

I just expanded a 12TB RAID 6 array to 14TB (Extra 2TB disk) using basic and it worked fine.
 
Dynamic disks offer much features than the basic disk do.
Actually, we would like to convert basic disk to dynamic disk to experience its advantages. Nevertheless, we should know there still has many problem waiting to be solved—such as the dynamic get invalid or unreadable. However, convert dynamic disk back to basic disk can not realized by the Windows built-in disk management flawlessly. Fortunately, this series of problems can be achieved through third-party software, such as Dynamic Disk Converter.
Take more useful information through the website.
 
Anyone know how to get WHS to convert this new array to a dynamic disk so I can expand it in the future?
AFAIK WHS can't use dynamic discs nor a RAID array.
 
Dynamic disks offer much features than the basic disk do.
Actually, we would like to convert basic disk to dynamic disk to experience its advantages. Nevertheless, we should know there still has many problem waiting to be solved—such as the dynamic get invalid or unreadable. However, convert dynamic disk back to basic disk can not realized by the Windows built-in disk management flawlessly. Fortunately, this series of problems can be achieved through third-party software, such as Dynamic Disk Converter.
Take more useful information through the website.

Other than spanning and software RAID they don't offer any advantage.
 
Back
Top