can't boot Win7 with RAID0 SSD setup + 2 storage drives

xXaNaXx

Gawd
OK, so i finally got a couple OCZ 120GB SSD's to put in RAID0 for my boot drive and applications, and after a bit of difficulty with the RAID drivers, i finally got Win7 Home Premium to detect the array, got Windows installed, and i can get booted into Windows with no problem. and i have to say, i'm loving the ~23 second boot times (from POST to usable desktop, including RAID BIOS detection) and near-instantaneous application loading that i get from this setup.

however.....

i also have 2 standard platter drives for storage, a 1TB and a 2TB drive. i initially left those drives disconnected while setting up the RAID array and installing Windows to ensure that there were no mishaps resulting in lost data.

now, when i connect those drives so i can start using them again, my Windows installation will not boot, i get the "No system disk or disk error" message. also when these drives are connected, the RAID array has a hard time detecting the 2 SSD's in the first place, and it takes a few reboots for them to be detected....but even once they are both detected, Windows will still not boot and gives the "No system disk" error.

i originally had two 320GB platter drives set up in RAID1, and the SSD's are connected on the same ports (using the same exact cables) on the on-board SATA RAID controller that these original drives were connected on.

System setup is the same one as the "Main Rig" in my sig, except i have upgraded the video card to a Radeon HD 6870, added the Hitachi 2TB storage drive in addition to the 1TB WD drive, and removed the 2x 320GB WD drives in RAID1 for the 2 OCZ SSD's in RAID0.

one other thing to note is that i did originally have issues with the SSD's while my system was overclocked, so i set it back to default specs, and that seems to have cleared that issue up.

anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like you need to tell your BIOS which disc to boot off of - that is, having the other storage drives in there is confusing the BIOS and so you have to tell the BIOS to choose the SSD array to boot from.

that has already been done....the RAID setup is the first boot option, and is set up exactly the same way it was with the previous hard drive setup....the only thing that has changed is the level of RAID (0 vs. 1) and the type of hard drives (SSD vs. standard, but both are SATAII).

Back