Can't believe it

narsbars

2[H]4U
I was coasting on my 1070 3800x rig a while back and figured I would just order a RTX 3070 when they came out...No prob. I can't believe I had to break down and buy a 1080TI FE and consider myself lucky to get one with some missing screws from the shroud.
At least I can play Cyberpunk to some degree.

Last edited:
^^ If ya don't mind me asking.... how much did you pay for the 1080ti?

The only thing that would make any kind of sense for me to get a 3090 at this point is if I could significantly offset the price of admission by selling my 1080ti's... both have EK blocks installed so I imagine the market might be slimmer. No interest in putting the stock fans back on.

Even if you find a 3070 now it's minimum $700 after tax...

I'm just happy I got mine for $530 before the madness. Even that was excessive for me as the last card I paid that much for was my 1070 ti during the last crypto craziness and I HAD to replace my 960 which was terrible. I just wish I could have built one more friend a PC before the dark times. I feel for anyone still looking.

I was coasting on my 1070 3800x rig a while back and figured I would just order a RTX 3070 when they came out...No prob. I can't believe I had to break down and buy a 1080TI FE and consider myself lucky to get one with some missing screws from the shroud.
At least I can play Cyberpunk to some degree.
What happened to the 1070?

At one time I wanted to get a 3080 or even a 3090 founders, but after seeing how things were tight on supply and not being able to sit at my pc for long period hoping to catch a drop, I have decided to stay with my Evga 2080ti Ftw3 which i was able to purchase a hybrid kit for and recently got a ek water block for till she decides to kick the bucket or maybe visit getting as new card next gen.

The smart move it seems now would have been to get a 2080 ti at launch 2 years and just enjoy it this whole time and wait for things to get back to normal. I will be damned if I am paying insane prices especially on cards with only 8 gb of vram. I was hoping to get a 3080 but at this point I am not going out of my way and waiting for a 3080 ti down the road may make more sense. I want more than 10gb of vram and the strongest card I can get for VR. I may jump on a 3090 FE if I can from Best Buy but the thought of paying that much even for MSRP is a bit hard to swallow. At least I bought a 2060 Super for MSRP to hold me over right before things got crazy around the 3080 launch.

It happened before. I wanted to get new GPU and hesitated for a while and found myself in situation where GTX 980Ti were more expensive than I could get GTX 1080 just weeks before and I was forced to get GTX 780 which was relatively cheap and available (not very good for mining)
On the other hand after this madness ended there was like tons of used GPU's on second-hand market and I was able to get fastest 980Ti for relatively cheap.

This time I have RTX 2070 and don't plan to upgrade until RTX 4xxx

Before it was miners fault, now it's miners AND Nvidia/AMD's fault (y)
I was going to buy 3080 to game and mine, so maybe I should stfu, lol.

I'm just happy I got mine for $530 before the madness. Even that was excessive for me as the last card I paid that much for was my 1070 ti during the last crypto craziness and I HAD to replace my 960 which was terrible. I just wish I could have built one more friend a PC before the dark times. I feel for anyone still looking.
Yeah, I thought how easy it was going to be to grab a $499.00 FE at BestBuy. Actually had one in my cart 1st day and they said they wouldn't ship to my zip, Maine.

I skipped out Pascal since I had a 980 and it was meeting my 1080p requirements just fine at the time. I was thinking we'll see what comes out next. Turing was a joke of high prices for no uplift, so skipped out again saying next one for sure.

Well here we are. I actually do need a new card now for 1440p. :(

^^ If ya don't mind me asking.... how much did you pay for the 1080ti?

The only thing that would make any kind of sense for me to get a 3090 at this point is if I could significantly offset the price of admission by selling my 1080ti's... both have EK blocks installed so I imagine the market might be slimmer. No interest in putting the stock fans back on.
It was swap and cash for the 1080TI. The buyer here now has an Asus Strix 1070 he is thinking of selling and I won't spoil his deal going into the numbers. I think we both thought it was fair.

Well, Microcenter has a Gigabyte version for $619, which is not bad at all for a custom card. (Before tax but, it is a custom card.)

It was swap and cash for the 1080TI. The buyer here now has an Asus Strix 1070 he is thinking of selling and I won't spoil his deal going into the numbers. I think we both thought it was fair.
No worries, thx 4 the reply.

-s

Yeah, I thought how easy it was going to be to grab a $499.00 FE at BestBuy. Actually had one in my cart 1st day and they said they wouldn't ship to my zip, Maine.
Yeah, I was there for the Best Buy drop as well and it seemed to error out in a lot of weird ways. I had one in my cart then it told me to choose a store to pick up from with none available. Seems they've sorted most of it out with the last couple drops, though.
Well, Microcenter has a Gigabyte version for $619, which is not bad at all for a custom card. (Before tax but, it is a custom card.)
Is that the Vision OC?

After I post this I'm going to be excommunicated from the PC Master Race Club but I just bought a Dell XPS computer with a GTX 1660 Super because of how hard it was to find a GPU. The entire stock of GPUs has dried up and the ones that are available cost way too much money.

After I post this I'm going to be excommunicated from the PC Master Race Club but I just bought a Dell XPS computer with a GTX 1660 Super because of how hard it was to find a GPU. The entire stock of GPUs has dried up and the ones that are available cost way too much money.
i saw that "deal" on the slickdeals front page a few weeks ago, was it something like $600 + tax shipped?

when i saw it, i didn't understand how it was a deal, and then i saw the 1660 prices on ebay...

Back