Cannot get computer to POST!! Ideas anybody please!!

peanutskeeter

Limp Gawd
This is a super long story and I am receiving many many symptons but maybe somebody here can help. I'm almost over it and am completely discouraged with this system right now but here's the story!

I had to take back a faulty Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard to microcenter because it was not staying powered on. I was positive it was a problem with the motherboard. Once I got it replaced I held off on hooking back up my water loop because I wanted to test out this phase change cooler I recently received. I was able to boot up just fine and the phase change unit blew my socks off with negative temps. I did not leave my system on very long because my video cards had no way of cooling since I did not have liquid in my cooling loop.

Now, once I saw that everything was going to work out fine with the phase change unit I removed the motherboard and installed the water block onto the motherboard along with all the hardware for the phase change unit, since this was no longer going to be a temporary thing. I got my motherboard back into my case along with the blocks on my 5970s and the block on my motherboard. Filled it up with liquid and all seemed good. Before I installed the phase change back onto the CPU I wanted to make sure it would boot up ok but NO!

I hoped it was because the CPU was getting too hot too quick so I went ahead and hooked up the phase change to it. Now here is where I am getting my symptoms. The computer does 3 different things upon booting and they are:

• Provides me with continuous beeps, no code just beeping...continues neverending beeping
  • Beeps once, as if all is good and tries to boot, but once it gets past the logo screen (where you can enter BIOS) the monitor just goes into standby mode and nothing else happens
  • Finally it gives no beeps at all, once the power is applied to the computer it just sits there like it is fixing to boot but nothing ever happens, no monitor activity, nothing!

So I have tried many many things to try and remedy this situation but I seem to be at a stand still. One major thing I've done recently is upgraded the PSU from an Antec 1200 to a Corsair 1200 and the Corsair has much more amperage per rail compared to the Antec. I know that 1200 watts will support my system because it has been doing so for quite a while now.

I also don't accredit this problem to my video cards. They seem to be stable and I put in a working video card from another computer and the computer acted the same way.
I have also tried swtiching PCI-E slots along with turning off different PCi-E slots that hold the video cards. I.E. trying 1 video card at a time. Same problem regardless.

Any ideas on this would much appreciated, I am growing very weary working on this thing, and it sucks because i have truly yet been able to play with this phase change cooler!! Plesae help me somebody!:confused::confused:

Reseat all the power and data connections, including the CPU. You might've nudged something every so slightly out of socket.

Try going back to the old PSU. amp/rail means nothing if the new unit is somehow defective and can't put out clean power.

Also, clear the CMOS twice. (once never seems to work).

Yeah cmos thing don't forget to take the battery out 2. I had this problem 2 had something to do with the hardware config memory in the bios. clear cmos didn't work becouse I forgot the battery.

You problably know the routine but I'm gonna say it anyway:
Switch off psu,
take the powercord out,
move the jumper or clear switch,
remove battery,
wait 3 min. just to be sure,
Reseat battery,
move jumper / clear switch back.
plug in powercord,
turn psu on.

good luck

Reseat all the power and data connections, including the CPU. You might've nudged something every so slightly out of socket.

Try going back to the old PSU. amp/rail means nothing if the new unit is somehow defective and can't put out clean power.

Also, clear the CMOS twice. (once never seems to work).

Problem with going back to the old PSU is I returned it and switched it out for this one however I am sure this PSU works because I was successful on booting several times beforehand. Also, tried clearing CMOS several times, along with the battery removal...

maybe some condensation off the phase after the first try? Really I've got no idea....sorry dude but it just doesn't make any sense.

Have you tried just tried reinstalling the original cooling and stick with air cooling to see if it's an issue relating to the way those water blocks are installed? And can you try a different CPU?

Did you leak test your system thoroughly (for like 72 hours) outside of your system before hooking it up? Looks like something is dead.

Have you tried just tried reinstalling the original cooling and stick with air cooling to see if it's an issue relating to the way those water blocks are installed? And can you try a different CPU?

I'm starting to lean more towards a block's hardware shorting on the board or something. So I might give that a try.

Back