Cannot connect NAS WD Red drive

Jellyfishpudding

Limp Gawd
I purchased a 4TB WD MyCloud a couple of years ago and it recently failed. I read that the issue is likely with the enclosure, so I opened it, removed the drive and then connected it to my Windows 10 rig via a powered USB HD adapter. The HD is spinning as expected, but Windows will not recognize it. I'm getting "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)" in device manager.

I have swapped ports, uninstalled the port & rebooted, and disabled the USB selective suspend setting. It is recognized as a mass storage device for maybe 20 seconds, but then the status changes to unknown. I read that this may have something to do with a password that protected the MyCloud access. I don't know. I just know that our entire family photo archive is on this drive and I want to access the data.

If any of you could point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative!

FiSH

I had a similar issue with a 4TB Seagate external drive. I 1st thought it was the power adapter, so I replaced that when that didn't work, I removed the drive same as you. The drive removed was the same as any standard Internal hard drive, so I connected it to my PSU with the standard SATA power cable and my motherboard with a SATA 3.0 cable. The drive was recognized by Windows immediately, and I was able to back up the drive with no issuse. After reading a ton about Seagate drive failures, I replaced it quickly but it worked fine, and I assume still does but collecting dust at the moment. Bottom line if it is a standard drive try a standard connection to your motherboard to see if that works. GL

I had a similar issue with a 4TB Seagate external drive. I 1st thought it was the power adapter, so I replaced that when that didn't work, I removed the drive same as you. The drive removed was the same as any standard Internal hard drive, so I connected it to my PSU with the standard SATA power cable and my motherboard with a SATA 3.0 cable. The drive was recognized by Windows immediately, and I was able to back up the drive with no issuse. After reading a ton about Seagate drive failures, I replaced it quickly but it worked fine, and I assume still does but collecting dust at the moment. Bottom line if it is a standard drive try a standard connection to your motherboard to see if that works. GL

I thought it would be that easy. It is an NAS hard drive, WD Red 4TB. While it was working, I can only access it through WD’s desktop app via password. My guess is that the drive requires that password entry and I can no longer access it over the network. I’m going to try and connect it to a few more computers today to see if I have any luck.

It sounds like you were able to access the drive. If so I would back it up then wipe it to irradicate the key. I believe you can get around the key with a DOS wipe program. After cleaning the drive, you'll have to initiate the drive through Windows Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and format while there, but you'll have an excellent 4tb drive again.

It sounds like you were able to access the drive. If so I would back it up then wipe it to irradicate the key. I believe you can get around the key with a DOS wipe program. After cleaning the drive, you'll have to initiate the drive through Windows Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and format while there, but you'll have an excellent 4tb drive again.

Not yet but I'll be making an attempt this afternoon. According to what I've read, Windows rejects it because WD formats all their MyCloud NAS drives with Linux partitions. So, I'm having to install a Linux file system reader for Windows. I also have to connect the drive to my board via SATA instead of USB. Got to grab an extra cable today. I do hope this works!!!

Maybe Clonezilla Live would work to backup then wipe the drive or some other Linux Live distribution.

Still not accessing the drive, even with the Diskinternals app. A friend’s Linux laptop couldn’t read it either. This has me thinking that my moving it around has caused something inside to become out of whack. Still, there is no clicking or beeping sound when I plug it up. It spins just as you’d expect. I have not bothered getting a replacement connector or bridge because the drive is being recognized. But that’s all. If there was a broken connection, Windows shouldn’t acknowledge it at all according to my thinking. But, then again, it’s my thinking that keeps me coming back to you fine people. : )

How far can I go in checking it out beneath the cover without damaging anything?

The problem is some external clamshell drives are not the same as similar internal drives from the same company. They put goofy things like voltage signalling or some other nonsense in the external housing, so you can't just pull it out of the enclosure and use it. This is primarily because the external USB drives are usually sold at lower prices than the same bare drive meant for internal PC use.

Update. Still can't get anything to read the contents of the hard drive. I examined its condition more closely and even listened to it with a stethoscope. No clicking, no beeping, no evidence of an impact whatsoever. When I connect it to my PC, it spins just as smoothly as one would expect. My research has found there to be no encryption or manipulation at the hand of WD. Multiple video tutorials show users accessing the exact same drive using a powered SATA to USB connector just as I have, and with simple Linux reader programs that I also used. These individuals got immediate access to all their files before reformatting the drive and placing it inside an external enclosure for continued use with Windows. I'm at a loss, but not giving up. : )

Back