Can you set a fan curve without background program?

devil22

2[H]4U
I have a 980 Ti. I've checked out Precision X and MSI AfterBurner, and Maxwell II Bios Tweaker, but it seems I can't set a fan curve and not have a program running in background. AfterBurner allows you to set a manual fan speed, but it's at a fixed percentage, so you don't get quiet on idle, and high fan rpms on load. I tried Maxwell II Bios Tweaker 1.36 and when I changed the fan speeds, and saved it, nvflash said the rom was invalid. Is there another program, or way, to set a fan curve, even a simple one, for idle=low speed, load=high speed, without running anything in the background? My gpu is idling right now at 44c, and sometimes hits 53c or more, doing nothing 3D. Might have something to do with the fact that I have 2 monitors, and one is 144hz, according to what I've read. I just don't like to run background apps if I can help it.

I'm not sure if Maxwell bios editor supports editing the fan profile. Would probably be the only way.

The BIOs editor does have a fan parameter section like you said... Might have to wait for an update. If I was you I'd try asking over on overclockers.

Ok, will try overclockers. And BlueSaber, it's not the ram. I've seen reports of these programs interfering with games..just don't like to make things complicated if I can avoid it.

Just run Afterburner, wtf else is your 16gigs of ram gonna do?

Sometimes it's nice not having to rely on apps like Afterburner. I programed my overclock, voltages, and fan curve right into the Bios on my cards. They are AMD though.

Last edited:
Everytime I have the onscreen overlay the game refuses to start and crashes. Did it 15 times in a row yesterday.

You can set a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner settings. Then you can simply enable the "set these settings automatically on startup" and never have to open MSI AB again if you don't want to. From what I've seen it's the various logging features of overclocking software that tend to crash games. So just install MSI AB without RivaTuner Statistics Service, set the automatic settings, apply and keep the program closed.

Alternatively you can set the fan speeds in MSI BIOS Tweaker but it's not as straight forward as you have RPMs, temps and percentages to figure out to get the desired outcome. To get it to flash correctly you need to use the -6 parameter in nvflash. Never flash a BIOS that is not made for your card.

You can set a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner settings. Then you can simply enable the "set these settings automatically on startup" and never have to open MSI AB again if you don't want to. From what I've seen it's the various logging features of overclocking software that tend to crash games. So just install MSI AB without RivaTuner Statistics Service, set the automatic settings, apply and keep the program closed.

Alternatively you can set the fan speeds in MSI BIOS Tweaker but it's not as straight forward as you have RPMs, temps and percentages to figure out to get the desired outcome. To get it to flash correctly you need to use the -6 parameter in nvflash. Never flash a BIOS that is not made for your card.

With AfterBurner, if I enable Auto without setting User Defined Software Control, it drops to 0 RPM. If I disable Auto, it runs at a fixed speed no matter the temperature. If I enable User Defined Software Control, it runs the fan on a curve, but returns to normal (0 RPM @ < 60c) if I exit the program. Am I missing something?

You have to enable program to start with Windows and then save the overclocking profile. Your making this way harder than it needs to be....

kasakka wasn't clear, I thought that he meant AB would set the fan profile without running, but now I'm not so sure that's what he/she meant. If AB can do that, I'd like someone to explain exactly how because I can't figure it out thus far. If you think I am making this hard, feel free to hang out in someone else's thread.

I haven't had afterburner interfere with any games, ever. Including GTA V.
Project CARS crashes if MSi Afterburner is running in the background, and the game will not start again after it crashes until the computer is restarted even after exiting AB.

Modifying the bios would technically be the only way. Any program, ANY, to control a piece of hardware needs to be running in the background.

Modifying the bios would technically be the only way. Any program, ANY, to control a piece of hardware needs to be running in the background.

Ok thanks, I hadn't realized that since I don't mess with this stuff much. I thought maybe a program could set some registers in the video card or whatever, that would modify the fan until a reboot (isn't that how rivatuner used to work?). Would be a useful feature at any rate. I'll have to wait until Maxwell II Bios tweaker gets fixed I guess.

Project CARS crashes if MSi Afterburner is running in the background, and the game will not start again after it crashes until the computer is restarted even after exiting AB.
That's not Afterburner. I play Project CARS with Afterburner running without issue. You have something else going on.

Afterburner itself doesn't interfere with anything. Having RTSS running in the background for the Overlay can SOMETIMES cause problems, so just disable that if you want. You can still use Afterburner for custom fan curves, overclocking, etc without RTSS.

Go into Afterburner -> Settings -> On Screen Display Tab -> Click "More" -> Select Global Profile if it's not the default -> Set "Application Detection Level" to None and close the program.

Problem solved.

Back