• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can you OC Dell intel cpu's?

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
4,592
I probably said that wrong, but if I pulled an e6320 out of a Dell computer and put it into a new mobo I bought on newegg, will it OC or no? Trying to figure out if this board is a POS or you just can't OC the processors.
 
This is doubtful that you can not overclock the chip since Intel makes the cpus not dell. Although they could have some deal with Intel to destroy any possibility of overclocking.

I do know that Dell goes out of its way to prevent you from upgrading a Dell system.
 
It will overclock as well as the Newegg-purchased motherboard will allow it to. There's nothing special about the CPUs that OEMs use - they're no more or less overclockable than what you'd buy in a store.

The motherboard in a Dell will never, ever let you overclock a CPU to any degree unless you were to pad-mod the CPU itself. In which case, you're really just tricking the motherboard into thinking it's a differently specced CPU.
 
It will overclock as well as the Newegg-purchased motherboard will allow it to. There's nothing special about the CPUs that OEMs use - they're no more or less overclockable than what you'd buy in a store.

The motherboard in a Dell will never, ever let you overclock a CPU to any degree unless you were to pad-mod the CPU itself. In which case, you're really just tricking the motherboard into thinking it's a differently specced CPU.

+1

If the mobo you bought has OCing options then yes. An Intel chip is an Intel chip, however the mobo's the OEMs use are all going to have locked/stripped down BIOS with no OCing options, so like Repeater said, your only option then would be some kind of hard mod.
 
he's pulled out the CPU from the board. so YES, you can OC every and any intel CPU. OEM motherboards will not work.

some OEM boards will OC, but the cheap crap Dell uses in its average midrange systems is a bad example, but I would compare this to the ECS/Jetway/whatever crap you can get on newegg for $20-$30, which I wouldn't trust to overclock very well either

the best quote regarding OC'ing a Dell:
"Its like chugging a gallon of milk, a select few can do it, but most people just throw up all over themselves"

basically, yeah, the chip is not somehow modified to not OC, the mainboard is the limitation, and the Dell board is designed to prevent this to keep starfish from damaging their gear

and what is this "Dell prevents you from upgrading" crap? they have standards compliant expansion slots and even sell upgrade parts themselves, and those parts don't have to be manufacturer specific versions of an existing product just to work on a normal x86/Intel box (*cough* apple *cough*)
 
I bought a really POS motherboard. It's not really a POS, but for overclocking it is. You have almost no options to do so. You can change the RAM speed from 266 to whatever and set the ram to ddr 2 667/800. I tried to change the ram speed to 300 for a mild overclocking, but everytime it booted to desktop it'd still show 1.86ghz for the processor speed. Oh well. It's no biggie since the computer was for my girlfriend's grandfather anyways. I just wanted to try to bump the speed up a bit for him so he noticed a faster computer when he got it back.

The motherboard I purchased him was an ECS G31T-M7 LGA 775. I was trying to stay under $150 while purchasing a case, motherboard, and a PSU. I ended up spending $146 and some change, so it was perfect. I probably could of bought a better board, but I was in a hurry. It does everything it needs to do anyways, so again, no biggie.
 
I bought a really POS motherboard. It's not really a POS, but for overclocking it is. You have almost no options to do so. You can change the RAM speed from 266 to whatever and set the ram to ddr 2 667/800. I tried to change the ram speed to 300 for a mild overclocking, but everytime it booted to desktop it'd still show 1.86ghz for the processor speed. Oh well. It's no biggie since the computer was for my girlfriend's grandfather anyways. I just wanted to try to bump the speed up a bit for him so he noticed a faster computer when he got it back.

The motherboard I purchased him was an ECS G31T-M7 LGA 775. I was trying to stay under $150 while purchasing a case, motherboard, and a PSU. I ended up spending $146 and some change, so it was perfect. I probably could of bought a better board, but I was in a hurry. It does everything it needs to do anyways, so again, no biggie.

you really have ZERO experieince in overclocking, don't you?

Your post has fail written all over it.
 
The best board in that range is the Gigabyte mATX G31 board. It has some decent OC options for a board like that.
 
you really have ZERO experieince in overclocking, don't you?

Your post has fail written all over it.



Look at my sig. I don't know how to OC perfectly, but I know how to do it. I've done it perfectly with my DFI Lan Party UT NF3 with s754 3000/3400/3700, Asus P4n-E SLI with my e6300 and now my DFI LP UT P35 T2R with my e8400.


The motherboard I purchase for her grandfather has almost no overclocking options. I couldn't change timings on the RAM or anything. Maybe I overlooked it and didn't see it, but everytime I tried I couldn't get it to OC.
 
Look at my sig. I don't know how to OC perfectly, but I know how to do it. I've done it perfectly with my DFI Lan Party UT NF3 with s754 3000/3400/3700, Asus P4n-E SLI with my e6300 and now my DFI LP UT P35 T2R with my e8400.


The motherboard I purchase for her grandfather has almost no overclocking options. I couldn't change timings on the RAM or anything. Maybe I overlooked it and didn't see it, but everytime I tried I couldn't get it to OC.

Unless you really need the extra speed, I'd probably just leave it at stock since it sounds like your user really isn't looking for a speed demon setup and stability is probably more important.
 
Unless you really need the extra speed, I'd probably just leave it at stock since it sounds like your user really isn't looking for a speed demon setup and stability is probably more important.

I did leave it at stock as it did everything he needed and still was fast too him. I just figured I'd try to give him a few more mhz for free. I wasn't going to try to OC it to the speeds I had my e6300 (2.9ghz), but more like 2.4ghz or even 2.2ghz.
 
I did leave it at stock as it did everything he needed and still was fast too him. I just figured I'd try to give him a few more mhz for free. I wasn't going to try to OC it to the speeds I had my e6300 (2.9ghz), but more like 2.4ghz or even 2.2ghz.

Not a bad idea, but if you have to spend extra money to get a different board just to get a few extra mhz out of it... Might not be worth it.
 
I did leave it at stock as it did everything he needed and still was fast too him. I just figured I'd try to give him a few more mhz for free. I wasn't going to try to OC it to the speeds I had my e6300 (2.9ghz), but more like 2.4ghz or even 2.2ghz.

if it isn't needed, and if its a customer box, leave it alone
if it burns up (especially since we're talking about an ECS board (why the hell....)) thats just an issue for you to deal with (can you say: out of pocket replacement)

honestly, leave well enough alone, the extra heat and potential stability issues aren't worth the hastle, especially if the user doesn't need it

you're also talking about what? like a 300-400 mhz increase, which is going to give you, lets see, something like 22% (at best) more performance, which (to quote tommy lee jones) "counts for exactly dick", especially if the extra go isn't needed
 
Back
Top