Can you install the same copy of windows on 2hdd's for the same pc?

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
A buddy of mine at work were thinking about this because he is trying to figure out the best way to switch back and forth between a 5840 and GTX 4870 without constantly uninstalling one brand of drivers in order to install the other brand of drivers when switching back and forth between cards. I will explain further.

1. When he wants to use the 5850 he would install that card and only have hdd #1 hooked up.

2. When he wants to then use the GTX 470 he would shut down his pc, take out the 5850 and install the GTX 470 and switch the sata cable over to hdd #2 (the other hdd).

At this point you'd need to talk to a lawyer to see how it all ties in with the EULA; no one here will be able to give you a definitive answer. My gut feeling is that this runs contrary to the license, however.

Thanks for the input. I will let him know and basically recommend that he buy a second copy of Windows. I figure, since he has enough money to buy two high end video cards he can afford a second copy of windows.

I may be wrong, but I thought that Windows 7 allowed a user to install multiple, different brand, video cards in one system. I've never tried it so I can't say how you switch and all that, but there must be a way. Additionally, installing Windows on one PC for one user, even if it's multiple installs of Windows, should be OK.

I may be wrong, but I thought that Windows 7 allowed a user to install multiple, different brand, video cards in one system. I've never tried it so I can't say how you switch and all that, but there must be a way. Additionally, installing Windows on one PC for one user, even if it's multiple installs of Windows, should be OK.

That is what we were wondering. If it is for the same user, on the same exact pc with the only difference being one install would be for a 5850 and the other install would be for a GTX 470............

Seems legit to me because it's the same computer and there is no way you can run both installs at once. But just how often and for how long is he intending to do this switching back and forth, and why is this necessary? There must be a better way.

Basically he said it depends on the game. If he is playing Fallout 3 for a few weeks for example, he would use the 5850. If he decides to switch to Crysis he would then switch out to the GTX 470. What card he would use depends on what game he is playing and which card performs better in that game. Who knows though, I think he might switch out each week for all I know.

Yes, he takes gaming seriously. Even more than me. He has some type of professional gaming headphones, gaming glasses, and will be buying a professional grade gaming controller. I think he has some special k/m also for gaming come to think of it. He has the money to spend and is willing to do so, so more power to him. Me personally, I feel lucky to have the pc that I have.

I seriously doubt one card is going to be significantly worse in one game, and significantly better in another. Better to just stick with one. And like I said, you should be able to switch graphics card in Windows 7 so he can game on whichever he likes with the same install. At least I heard it was supposed to be able to do that.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2334157,00.asp - so basically just switch monitor from card A to card B to use the different card (and probably set your main desktop in screen resolution dialog to the new monitor.) I would definitely try this first.

Not sure about the legality about it but skipping that yes it's possible.

You can do it 1 of 2 ways.

Either you can install it completely separate hard drives as if the other drive doesn't exist or you can dual boot the drives windows actually supports it and you can choose which one you want to boot into upon boot.

It's easy to do. If your doing it the first way just unplug which ever drive you don't want to boot to.

To buy two copies of Windows to do that seems completely retarded.

You don't have to buy another copy of Windows when you change your video card, so why would you need to do that to dual boot?

What's more questionable is why even switch between the two to begin with? If it's just for benchmarks don't even bother activating Windows.

Seriously... buy another copy of Windows? I don't care how much money someone has, wasting money is still wasting money. And that would be a total waste.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it this whole situation seems dumb to me. If he has money to burn just build a 2nd PC.

I appreciate all the responses. I will send him the link Devil22 provided so he can read that himself and figure out what he wants to do.

Wow, I bet this guy lives in his parents basement and has only ever seen a naked woman on his computer screen. If it was me, I'd tell the guy to pick one card and stick with it...as it is an INCREDIBLE waste of time to even consider swapping hardware for a neglible different. If he the REAL gamer he thinks he is in his own mind, he'd pick the best card, and use two of them together...not swapping from one brand to the other per game. That's assinine.

Then he should just have two computers, rather than risk damaging components every time he switches out the video card and hard drives.

switching a vid card isnt rocket science.

i think it is too much effort for likely very small returns.

Just install both the HD5850 and the GTX470 in the same PC, at the same time. As long as you're using Windows 7, you'll have no trouble getting drivers installed for both.

Once that's set up, all you'll have to do is plug your monitor into whichever card you want, and set that to the primary display. Done deal.

Just install both the HD5850 and the GTX470 in the same PC, at the same time. As long as you're using Windows 7, you'll have no trouble getting drivers installed for both.

Once that's set up, all you'll have to do is plug your monitor into whichever card you want, and set that to the primary display. Done deal.

I will pass that info along. To me, that seems like pretty good sense actually.

Install, configure, update the OS, then ghost/image it to the other drive, only different thing would be the HDD and the VID card...dont think thats enough to trigger reactivation.
Also, he can boot one instance to a VHD on the single HDD in the system...so no swapping cables
(cable swapping would be a PITA if he does it alot)

as said, just install both and choose to set each monitor as primary they want to use and done, no need to switch, reinstall or ghost anything.,

Back