Can you do a remote desktop connection to a system at user login?

x509

2[H]4U
I want to use my laptop to set up a new system I'm building, but I don't have a spare monitor. For now, I've been doing some "black magic" with my main desktop system monitor to boot up the new system. I have also set up a remote desktop connection to the new system from my laptop, but that was after I booted up the new system.

So I tried to use my laptop and remote desktop connection to do a user login, but I can't get that to work. Am I doing something wrong, or trying to do something not possible.

Both my laptop and the new system are running Win 7 64 Ultimate.

Thanks,

x509

Error message?

Unable to log in?

Cannot connect to the new system over the network?

Need more information before we can tell you what's wrong.

Last edited:
Error message?

Unable to log in?

Cannot connect to the new system over the network?

Need more information before we can tell you what's wrong.

Well, I'll tell you what's wrong. :(

Operator error. :rolleyes:

I had both systems plugged into a router which issued IP addresses. Sounds good, except that one of the RJ-45 cables was just a bit ... :( not pushed in all the way. :rolleyes:

So, I pushed in the cable to get that satisfying "click," and then re-tried my operation. Worked. :D

Only now I can't figure out how to power down the remote system. :confused:

I can really see the potential of Remote Desktop Connection. I've known about it for years but never tried it until now.

The only way I know of is to open an Admin Command Prompt on the remote machine and do a shutdown -a command on it which will eventually force it to shut down. I know there's a specific switch to force the immediate shutdown (usually takes 120 seconds) but I can't recall all the exact switches at this moment.

I think there was an app someone created that you'd install and run on the remote machine to do it as well, but my preferred method is just doing the Admin Command Prompt and shutdown -a, it's always worked for me.

errr... Tawnos got it just a few seconds before me... ;) Those commands are issued on the remote machine, mind you, from an Admin Command Prompt.

How about just installing Logmein on the system? It is light and simple. It can be accessed from any computers' web browser. And, you can shut the system down like normal before logging out of Logmein.

www.logmein.com

Isn't there a Win7 widget that has the "reboot/restart/shutdown" icons on it? I think i came across that before. Just install that and set it to always be on top.

ALT + CTRL + END In RDP will send ALT + CTRL + DELETE to the remote computer ...

Back