Can we post Other portable devices here or is it just the Steam deck?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Can we post Other portable devices here or is it just the Steam deck?

Like the Aya Neo or OneXplayer?

I am personally tired of people comparing other handhelds to the steamdeck since the price and support are nowhere near the deck, BUT i do like reading about the other devices and new innovations.
My opinion doesnt matter at all, but as long as this forum doesnt get overrun with those "steamdeck killer" threads and such, i don't see why we cant discuss them. Worst case, a new forum/sub-forum could be made for those.

I am personally tired of people comparing other handhelds to the steamdeck since the price and support are nowhere near the deck, BUT i do like reading about the other devices and new innovations.
My opinion doesnt matter at all, but as long as this forum doesnt get overrun with those "steamdeck killer" threads and such, i don't see why we cant discuss them. Worst case, a new forum/sub-forum could be made for those.
We should get rid of all the forums except for one devoted to IBM while we're at it.

AyaNeo 2/ AyaNeo Geek review: handheld performance reaches the next level​

Far more powerful than Steam Deck - but at what cost?
The AyaNeo 2 and the AyaNeo Geek are the latest portable PCs to arrive at Digital Foundry and thanks to the 6800U, the performance is simply phenomenal - but it comes at a cost: battery life.

When challenged with the games that pushed Deck hard, AyaNeo pulls comfortably ahead. Doom Eternal at 1080p60, Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered with ray tracing (!), Fortnite with the full UE5 feature set, A Plague Tale Requiem looking beautiful at a locked 30fps...

the 40WHr battery in the Deck gives way to a mammoth 50.25WHr equivalent in the products we're reviewing today. Even so, running flat-out, I've had just 70 to 75 minutes of play

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-ayaneo-2-ayaneo-geek-review

I tested at 15W, 22W, 26W and 33W. If you take a look at the gallery below, you'll note that by far the biggest power boost comes from the jump from 15W to 22W. That's what AyaSpace calls game mode and it's the sweet spot for high-end mobile gaming. In Forza Horizon 5, for example, moving from 15 to 22W sees 46 percent more power delivering a performance boost of 33 percent. 26W represents a circa 19 percent of extra power over 22W, but you're only getting eight percent more performance. The difference between 26W and 33W - not shown in the gallery - amounts to statistical noise, although other titles see marginal gains.

despite its (Steam Deck's) spec weaknesses, titles like Control and Doom Eternal can actually run faster than the AyaNeo handhelds when they're pegged to a matching 15W. That's because - remarkably - the open source Radeon driver used in SteamOS can have major efficiency advantages over AMD's own Windows equivalent. Once the extra juice is added though, the extent of the AyaNeo's performance advantage becomes evident. Even at 22W, a 35 to 40 percent performance advantage is commonplace

A Plague Tale: Requiem being the latest example, and in one test, I saw the AyaNeo Geek at 33W deliver 27 percent of the PS5's throughput in like-for-like testing. Dropping resolution vs PS5 sees frame-rate numbers creep up, but even at 720p (upscaling from 482p via TAAU) the PS5 at 4K upscaling from 1440p still ran around 10 percent faster.

Update on ASUS ROG Ally:

"Okay. So here's the deal. I'm aware of the type of chip that's going to be in the ALLY. Also because I know of other companies who might use that chip, I know what they would charge for it. The ALLY can be anywhere from $600-800 depending on volume of sales they anticipate."

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1643229980833247233?s=20

Fs2SUpsaEAAgvZ-.png

Update on ASUS ROG Ally:

"Okay. So here's the deal. I'm aware of the type of chip that's going to be in the ALLY. Also because I know of other companies who might use that chip, I know what they would charge for it. The ALLY can be anywhere from $600-800 depending on volume of sales they anticipate."

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1643229980833247233?s=20

View attachment 561722

two entire days later, Asus confirmed the device was, in fact, not an April Fools’ joke, and the YouTube channels Dave2D and Linus Tech Tips posted hands-on videos with the device. From those YouTube channels, we can glean a few specs, like a 1080p display, support for 120Hz refresh rates, and Asus’ claim that the device offers double the performance of the Steam Deck.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/4/23669875/asus-rog-ally-handheld-gaming-pc-announcement

two entire days later, Asus confirmed the device was, in fact, not an April Fools’ joke, and the YouTube channels Dave2D and Linus Tech Tips posted hands-on videos with the device. From those YouTube channels, we can glean a few specs, like a 1080p display, support for 120Hz refresh rates, and Asus’ claim that the device offers double the performance of the Steam Deck.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/4/23669875/asus-rog-ally-handheld-gaming-pc-announcement

The Asus ROG Ally handheld gaming PC is real, not an April Fools’ joke

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/1/23666084/asus-rog-ally-handheld-windows-gaming-portable

A hands-on video by Dave2D confirms global launch plans from Asus as well as a few more specs, like that it’s smaller, lighter, and flatter than Valve’s gaming machine — 608g / 280mm x 113mm x 39mm for the Ally versus 669g / 298mm x 117mm x 50.5mm for the Steam Deck.
The ROG Ally has a seven-inch 16:9 display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, 500 nits of brightness, and a 120HZ refresh rate, compared to the Steam Deck specs, which are listed as a seven-inch 16:10 display at 1280 x 800 resolution, 400 nits of brightness, and a 60Hz refresh rate. The chip inside uses the AMD’s Zen 4 architecture with the powerful RDNA 3 graphics tech seen in recent GPUs.

Another hands-on video from Linus Tech Tips is a little longer, showing even more angles of the device and the software customizations Asus has set up on its prototype unit. As Dave2D noted, there’s a fingerprint sensor along the top, and Linus mentioned it could be used for switching between multiple accounts.

Back