Can using extensions decrease voltage output?

rudedog89

Limp Gawd
If I use an extension cable for my 24 Pin, there should be no voltage lost due to length, right? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

There are no stupid questions. People in other hand... :giggle: :sneaky: :D

Resistance = resistivity × ( length / area )

So, if you have more wire length you will have more resistance, if you have more resistance you will have a slight voltage drop.
If don't want a voltage drop you will have to get a wire that has a bigger cross section area.

Are you planning to use a very long extension cable?

Well, it would be only an 8 inch extension, but, guess concerned about having the extra connector in the middle as I know that adds resistance as well.

Yes. Ohms law. But your resistance will change most with the extra set of connectors. Really not enough to say so

The mobo doesn't draw too much power from the 24 pin. Not really of any concern the very little voltage drop.

Well, it would be only an 8 inch extension, but, guess concerned about having the extra connector in the middle as I know that adds resistance as well.

loading...loading
loading...loading
loading...loading
loading...loading
loading...loading
loading...loading
loading...loading
analysing...
analysing...
analysing...
analysing...
Dick joke created

well 8 inches is not tha tlong that like from here
|
|
|
to here

or that what I tell my wife...

anyway
8 inche of wire should not do any effective difference.

Technically yes, it will increase resistance and decrease voltage delivered to your mobo.

However, your wires warming up will do the same thing. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it.

For DC voltages inside a computer? Nah, never. Thin signal cables are different though, that's why IDE cables back then tend to be no more than a foot long.

Back