• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can this eMachine handle my work?

Guido02

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
224
I need a new PC for work and I thought about building myself one, but it seems that for the price, I am better off buying something like this emachine, and swapping the HDD or something.

I need the pc to be able to handle a lot of Office Suite work, which includes publisher (I will have 10 - 15 pub projects open at once). I also produce videos of events we have, so if this pc could handle encoding that would be great, or I could just keep using my Mac. I also use Adobe products and I do some minor photo editing. Can this pc handle it? Obviously cost is a concern of mine which is why this seems like a decent deal.

eMachine- eMachines EL1352-03 Athlon II X2 240(2.8GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

It's 350 after coupon code
 
It's a eMachines though....

For video encoding, any PC can handle encoding. What it really depends on is how long you're willing to wait for the encoding to be done. i.e depending on the project, that dual core would be anywhere from 1 hour slower to a 8 hours slower than a quad-core setup in video encoding.

Minor photo editing will be fine on that setup. Been awhile since I've used publisher so not aware of the CPU requirements for it.
 
Hey Danny, how much would it take to get into a quad core for this type of work. I basically want the cheapest quad setup that still has 4 GB of ram. I have about $450 to spend total. The only thing I have on hand really is an extra Samsung F3 1TB, an ODD, and I do have a case from a gateway computer that could be used if we needed to shave some monies. Please help
 
Hey Danny, how much would it take to get into a quad core for this type of work. I basically want the cheapest quad setup that still has 4 GB of ram. I have about $450 to spend total. The only thing I have on hand really is an extra Samsung F3 1TB, an ODD, and I do have a case from a gateway computer that could be used if we needed to shave some monies. Please help
You know the drill man: Please answer the stickied questions so that I can help you better man.

EDIT: NVM all that. I just looked up your other General Hardware thread. Gimme a few minutes to set up a build.

EDIT 2: Here's a prelim build:
$142 - AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU + BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Shipping already factored in)
$70 - 2 x Patriot PSD32G13332 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$50 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
---
Total: $262 shipped.

Which Gateway case do you have? Some of those were just crap/
 
Last edited:
Add this case then and you'll still be under budget with the setup I posted above:
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
 
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP mATX Tower Case

Good suggestion. That is one of those mATX cases that accept regular ATX PSUs. A lot of mATX cases accept only mATX PSUs, which severely limits the OP's choices.
 
If my budget for this build can go as high as 450, do you think I should get a Phenom x4 CPU?

Edit: Can the cores on the eMachine cpu be unlocked? I know there are no garuantees, but that would make the eMachine one heck of a deal if anything unlocked.
 
Last edited:
If my budget for this build can go as high as 450, do you think I should get a Phenom x4 CPU?
Yes.

A Phenom II CPU doesn't cost that much more:
$176 - AMD Phenom II X4 945 CPU + Biostar TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

Edit: Can the cores on the eMachine cpu be unlocked? I know there are no garuantees, but that would make the eMachine one heck of a deal if anything unlocked.

The answer is no for two reasons:
1) The Athlon II X2 2xx series CPUs didn't unlock at all
2) The Nvidia chipset of that eMachines PC does not support CPU unlocking at all.
 
Hey Danny, i noticed u selected indivdual ram sticks instead of a set. Are the ones u chose better than the same priced sets?
 
Hey Danny, i noticed u selected indivdual ram sticks instead of a set. Are the ones u chose better than the same priced sets?

I'd say equal. It's $5 cheaper than comparable 2x2GB sets.
 
Back
Top