• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can someone hex edit these?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
7,662
Don't know the first thing about hex editors, but I found something that supposedly works for a problem I'm having. It involves using a hex editor on two exe files.

I installed a USB monitor that I keep all of my sidebar gadgets on. However, the monitor does not run instantly and often times the sidebar will load before the USB monitor does once Windows starts. Because of this, the gadgets will appear all over my main monitor instead of on the USB monitor since the sidebar loads before the USB monitor becomes operational.

I've tried delaying the startup of the sidebar and it works the first time I restart after I setup the delay, but once you launch sidebar it automatically puts itself back on the startup list and then begins launching immediately again.

It doesn't have a GUI with an option to disable from automatically adding itself to the startup list so you have to edit the exe file to change or remove the line that tells it to add itself. It doesn't give you the option at all.

I found a forum where someone had the same issue I'm having, but the solution is to use a hex editor on the sidebar exe file.

http://www.w7forums.com/stop-sidebar-exe-autorunning-t3807.html


The run string for the 64-bit sidebar exe starts at: 0x00005F1C

and for the 32-bit sidebar it starts at: 0x000AC534


Can anyone edit the two files for me? Or give me a step-by-step on how to do the hex editing?

I've already tried a couple of free hex editing programs, but I don't know how to search for those strings.

I can email the two exe files to whoever wants to take a look.

Thanks for any help.
 
What you have asked is analogous to this:

"My car is busted. I heard you can fix it with a wrench. Someone give me a step-by-step on how to fix it"
 
No problem. Someone on Anandtech showed me how to do it in five sentences.

xvi32
1. open the file
2. click->address->goto, click hexadecimal, paste 00005F1C, click absolute, click ok
3. look in right table and see the string, one letter per square starting at 00005F1C
4. open notepad, type 'S' and copy it to the clipboard
5. the first letter of the string should be highlighted still in xvi32, then click edit->clipboard->paste. now the right table should have the original string but this time the first character replaced by an 'S'


This thread can be closed.

Thanks.
 
Did it work?

I tried to use one of those hex editors once but got scared.....waayy too many things that looked they could go wrong! :D
 
Back
Top