Can it take it?

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
1,390
My work computer is a dell with a E6400 processor. I can't get admin rights for it, so SMP is out. I have had one console going on it for a while now, but I am wondering if it would be ok with 2 on it. Can the power supply handle the load of 2 consoles? I had 2 fired up and it seemed to be burning at about 52-54 degrees on both cores. Isn't that a bit high for the E6400?

Thanks everyone!

 
do both cores, but set the cpu to 90% that will take a good chunk of the heat off but still net you more points.

 
Dual core's can definitely handle two console clients. Dell tends to do a pretty good job of cooling their boxes, and their power supplies are ok. I've never had issues with Dell's running the F@H client, console or SMP.
 
I haven't had any issues running the console client on this dell sx280 which is their ultra small form factor desktop. It's even running a 3.2ghz presHOTT cpu. The exhaust is fairly warm, but it's been going strong for 2+ years now. I'd definitely run 2 console clients.
 
Thanks a lot guys. I ran the -configonly and set both to 90%. Now I am running at about 49-50. That feels a lot better in my opinion. I wish I had done this sooner. The -advmethods allows for a decent boost in PPD and that was not the client I was running before.

Now I just want to get some of the dust out...but I don't know that IT would appreciate me doing that, nor the housekeepers.

edit-FahMon puts the PPD on this monster at 331 right now. I know that will change some based on what units I get, but I didn't realize it would be so low. I have a similar setup at home but it has more cache and is overclocked. I didn't realize that would equal over double the PPD. I guess cache is a big deal here!

 
You should be just fine. I'm running a Pentium D 3.0Ghz in a Dell system here at work. No SMP for me either due to the lack of admin rights on my box so I run dual console clients at 100%. I'm betting mine puts out more heat than yours does and it has no trouble with it. That said, I have no clue what temps it is running but judging by the exhaust heat, it's being cooled a lot better than my previous P4 2.8 Preshott.

 
Cache is a HUGE deal for Folding@Home!!! I've seen incredible speed increases just by getting a processor with larger cache.
 
edit-FahMon puts the PPD on this monster at 331 right now. I know that will change some based on what units I get, but I didn't realize it would be so low. I have a similar setup at home but it has more cache and is overclocked. I didn't realize that would equal over double the PPD. I guess cache is a big deal here!
Yes it is but did you also configure the clients to receive the bonus WUs? They will allow for a sizable PPD boost until the end of summer.


 
Oh ok, I knew about that, just didn't know if there was something else necessary to get the bonus WU's...thanks!
 
If you are concerned about temps on a dell run i8kfangui on the system. I'm running it on a Optiplex 745 and it allows me to run the fans at max speed.
 
Back
Top