• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can improvements be made?

Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
25
Hello everyone.. my first post on this forum... let me know if i'm doing anything wrong!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~$700.00, tax/shipping to be included. After Rebate is OK.

3) Where do you live?
Orange County, Near a Microcenter, California.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU (retail)
Motherboard
RAM
Case
Power Supply
Hard drive
Video card (1 for now, 2nd one comes in another year or so).

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Brand new build.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not likely.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
22"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI for 2 cards, USB 3.0 optional.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I have WIndows 7 Ultimate, Retail.



This is what I have so far:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core i5-760: $198 ($18 tax included) - Microcenter

EVGA P55V SLI Mainboard 120-LF-E651-TR: $69.99 After $20 Rebate - TigerDirect
$20 Rebate Expires 09/02/10

GTX 460 $179.99 After $10 Rebate - TigerDirect
$10 rebate expires 9/19/10

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 120mm LED Fan, 4x 5.25 Bays, 5x 3.5 Bays
Current Price: $44.99 - $10MIR = $34.99
Price after $15 Coupon Code XCJ4786 = $19.99
Coupon Code expires on 8/16

XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W XXX Edition Modular Power Supply - ATX, 650-Watt, Modular, 80 Plus Bronze, 135mm Fan. "Hard-Core Gamer Compatible"
Current Price: $99.99 - $20MIR = $79.99
Price after $20 Coupon Code BFS4777 = $59.99
Coupon Code expires on 8/16
(expired $20 rebate, hopefully 08/16-08/31 comes up)

Patriot PGV34G1333ELK Sector 5 4GB PC10666 RAM - $69.99 after $20 rebate. - TigerDirect
$20 rebate expires 08/31/10

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - $69.84 - Amazon.com

$490.57 TigerDirect
$69.84 Amazon.com
$198.00 Microcenter
Initial Cost: $758.41
- $80 rebate
End Cost: $678.41
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will take any comments/criticism/suggestions. The case and power supply deal ends today.. and i'll probably order those two first because they look like such nice deals.

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: Micro-atx is not a necessity.. it's just that the case was micro-atx and I didn't want to get stuck with a bigger motherboard than the case.
 
Last edited:
At $760, it's not a bad build for the money. With that said, see if the Core i5 750 is available. It'll be $20 cheaper.

I'm more than willing to bet that you won't be getting a second GTX 460 card in a year.
 
i5-750 will be 149.99+tax @ microcenter? I haven't been to one in a long time so I don't know the prices in store. right now the i5-760 is $169.99 + $15 tax. Is there negligible performance difference? I can't use Anand's CPU bench since it only has one of the two.

As for the 2nd GTX, I'm holding off until I get my credit card reward of $250 for spending over $3k in the next few months (insurance & this should put me over $3k).
 
i5-750 will be 149.99+tax @ microcenter? I haven't been to one in a long time so I don't know the prices in store. right now the i5-760 is $169.99 + $15 tax. Is there negligible performance difference? I can't use Anand's CPU bench since it only has one of the two.
The performance difference is very very negligible.
 
Back
Top