Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX?

Haven

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have been thinking of getting after the holidays a new video card. My current card, a EVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB, is working fine. However I was wondering if I got a new GTX 275 and put it in, and moved my old 8800GTS to the second PCIe 2.0 slot, could I use the 8800GTS as a dedicated PhysX card?

I have been seeing a number of ads lately pushing getting two different nVidia cards and using the lesser card (usually a nVidia 250 chipset) for dedicated PhysX. The 8800GTS does PhysX right now, but I thought I would get better performance with a newer chipset and having the older one for PhysX.

I'm not looking to SLI for two reasons, 1) Cost. I can't afford two $270 cards. 2) The motherboard I have doesn't do SLI, it would however do Crossfire if I was into the AMD/ATI cards.

I could be wrong though. Thanks for the help.

If you want Physx, just use your 8800GTS. It's plenty good for that application. It's definitely not worth spending more than $100 on a dedicated physx GPU. First of all, there are practically no good games that support it at this point, and the older card will handle physx.

Thanks for the quick response. That does help me, I was thinking of one of the deals that is going on right now with the 275 and a 250, but I figured if I could do it with what I have and buying a better graphics card, then I would save the money.

Gamer on a budget here. Thanks for confirming what I thought.

If you want to give Physx a try, you could just pick up a used G80/G92 card for less than $50 on craigslist or in the for sale forum.

The card I have is a G92. Like I said it is working fine right now, but I was thinking of using the current G92 as my PhysX card, and getting a 275 as the main GPU card.

Right now the G92 is doing both, PhysX and GPU.

However I was wondering if I got a new GTX 275 and put it in, and moved my old 8800GTS to the second PCIe 2.0 slot, could I use the 8800GTS as a dedicated PhysX card?.

Yes!

Just grab a 275, and use your old 8800GTS as a PhysX card.

The GTS 250 as a PhysX and the 8800GTS as PhysX, will not be worlds different.
So in the end, either the GTS 250 or your (G92)8800GTS will give practically the same PhysX performance with your new GTX 275.

Hope that answers your question.

Yes!

Just grab a 275, and use your old 8800GTS as a PhysX card.

The GTS 250 as a PhysX and the 8800GTS as PhysX, will not be worlds different.
So in the end, either the GTS 250 or your (G92)8800GTS will give practically the same PhysX performance with your new GTX 275.

Hope that answers your question.

+1 ;)

The GTS 250 is the exact same GPU as the 8800GTS (g92).

They are both the 'full' version of the g92 core. (128SP)

The GTS 250 is the exact same GPU as the 8800GTS (g92).

They are both the 'full' version of the g92 core. (128SP)
QFT The 8800GTS 512 is the same as the 9800GTX and the GTS 250, save for some minor refinements and boosted clocks, you wont gain much of anything getting a GTS 250. The GTX 275 is expensive right now, at one point they were almost $200, now they're up to $240 on newegg. Seeing as Physx only works in a handfull of games, you might be better off finding a used 8800GTS to pair with your current one. It would be about $140 cheaper then then the GTX 275 and give you better performance.

edit: nevermind, didn't realize your mobo only does crossfire. :eek:

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm not sure if I could. I just bought a GTX 295 to replace my older 8800GT. It's obviously the G92 chipset, but I'm not sure if it'll do dedicated physx. Anyone know?

Sorry for the threadjack

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm not sure if I could. I just bought a GTX 295 to replace my older 8800GT. It's obviously the G92 chipset, but I'm not sure if it'll do dedicated physx. Anyone know?

Sorry for the threadjack

Yes, any card greater then an 8600GT can do physx, your 8800GT has 112SP which are more then enough for physx for now :)

any 8 series can be use for physics but remmember try to use one better than your cpu if not then there is no need for one

any 8 series can be use for physics but remmember try to use one better than your cpu if not then there is no need for one

Your post is a little confusing. Can you explain what you mean by "remember try to use one better than your cpu". For a thread jacking of my own can you use a dedicated physx cards display outputs for a 3rd and 4th monitor?

I have a P45 chipset which is a crossfire board.

So I can still keep my old Nvidia card in the 2nd crossfire slot and get a new card for the primary slot and instead of crossfire, use my old Nvidia card for PhysX?

Yep,

My X48 chipset board is a CF board but I'm running 2 GTX 260s. one for PhysX/CUDA and the other is my 3d Renderer.

Back