Can I use my new Vista Home Premium on 2 new computers I am building for myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambios

n00b
Here is my situation. I am building two identical computers for myself. I bought a new copy of Vista Home Premium 64 Bit OEM for system builders along with the computer parts.

Can I use this one copy of vista for both computers that have identical hardware configs and run on the same network (same IP address)?

Additional details:
  • I am the only person using these computers.
  • Much of the time, I would not even use them at the same time. Usually I would only be using one or the other.
  • I will sometimes use both for "two boxing." (running two characters in an online game, as it works better than way than running 2 instances of the game on the same computer).

If I can, what are the limits to what I am allowed to do?

What are the limits to what I *can* do?

If both computers are identical in hardware, and operate on the same network (same IP address), is that going to work?

Will I have to do a bunch of annoying reverification, calling up MSFT whenever I install on the 2nd comp, or do windows updates on the 2nd comp, etc?

Thanks for your help. I really do not want to buy a 2nd copy of Vista (especially since I have already paid for 4 versions of XP and Vista I won't be using at all, as they are on computers I am discarding and the vendor never sent me disks), and since this is all for 1 person's use I don't feel I should have to.

The answer to this is simple. If you have two keys, you can use it on two computers. If you have one key, you can only run it on one computer.

If you have older licenses of Vista, if they aren't OEM licenses, you can recover the keys and re-use them on new computers. If they were OEM licenses, then you are SOL, from a legality standpoint. If you do recover the OEM Vista keys and reuse them on new hardware, they may work, but you would be violating the EULA, which is up to you.

As noted, you have one legit copy with one legit key, that's good for one legit installation (installed and activated to that particular machine). Sometimes things ain't fair, but, that's how it goes.

As for the machines with XP on them, if they're OEM installations, you could get lucky:

If you look inside the Windows directory on each of 'em, and if you find an i386 directory inside there (like C:\Windows\i386 as the case may be), you can burn the contents of that i386 directory onto a disc and use it to reinstall the OS - it'll be an OEM installation, of course, but it's entirely possible.

What you'd need is a real XP disc of the same edition (meaning Home or Pro), and then replace the i386 directory on that CD with the one from the machines (one disc per machine as they may not be the same brands) and end up with a "new" custom OEM XP installation disc. The content you need to install XP resides in that i386 directory, and on the OEM machines it'll also have the necessary OEM*.* files that lock it to that brand of machine.

Not too tough to do this stuff, really; you could make a custom XP installation disc for each of those machines in under 20 mins without breakin' a sweat.

Even with identical hardware, the hardware hash will be different. So technically you could install it on both, and probably activate both, but it's against Microsoft's EULA for their OSes so you would be breaking the rules. But nothing coded into the OS is going to stop you as long as both activate.

Legally, no. Technically, it might be possible, depending on whether the different network card address(es) and hard drive signatures on the second "identical" computer trigger a re-activation.

I run two installations of the same Vista64 Ultimate retail license on one computer (one for gaming, one for work-related applications, with different drivers/settings), and since I only use one at a time on one machine, I feel morally justified in doing so. You're allowed to have unlimited copies or backup images of an installation, as long as only one is active at any one time.

I also have another retail Vista Home Premium license for running a 32-bit virtual machine, and it's actually not legal to run Home Premium in a VM, but I don't care, I have to draw the line somewhere! I'm not going to get another Ultimate license just because MS didn't envision VMs for home use (for software testing, or as an internet sandbox). I've read that MS does have plans to officially authorize Home Premium for virtualization, though.

Since you want to run two installations at the same time, that's clearly not legal, but to each his own.

I understand there are two issues:

1) What you can do according to the license.

2) What you can ACTUALLY do.

I am more concerned with #2, largely because I do not agree (on legal grounds) with the Microsoft interpretation of what they can demand as far as a software license. I know there is a lot of disagreement on that, and I respect people's opinions on both sides. But personally, I think the eventual legal ruling will be that software licenses cannot be as restrictive and controlling as software companies try to make them.

With that said, I am mainly concerned with what it is *possible* to do, from a technical standpoint. Because I do not feel I should have to buy two licenses to run software I have purchased on my hardware. Again, I respect the fact that some people disagree with me on that legal interpretation, and that's fine. But for the purposes of this thread and this question, I am concerned with what I can do technically here.

Thanks,

I understand there are two issues:

1) What you can do according to the license.

2) What you can ACTUALLY do.

I am more concerned with #2, largely because I do not agree (on legal grounds) with the Microsoft interpretation of what they can demand as far as a software license. I know there is a lot of disagreement on that, and I respect people's opinions on both sides. But personally, I think the eventual legal ruling will be that software licenses cannot be as restrictive and controlling as software companies try to make them.

With that said, I am mainly concerned with what it is *possible* to do, from a technical standpoint. Because I do not feel I should have to buy two licenses to run software I have purchased on my hardware. Again, I respect the fact that some people disagree with me on that legal interpretation, and that's fine. But for the purposes of this thread and this question, I am concerned with what I can do technically here.

Thanks,

Microsoft isn't "interpreting" anything. It's their software, they make the rules of how you use it. If you don't agree, don't install it. You purchased a license, and were gifted an install DVD to go with it. That license has rules that you were given a chance to disagree with.

And you would be wrong on the "eventual legal ruling". It's already been ruled that clickwrap EULA's are legally binding.

Ok, he wants a simple technical answer to his question posted in the topic thread, and that answer is:

No.

NEXT!!!

Microsoft isn't "interpreting" anything. It's their software, they make the rules of how you use it. If you don't agree, don't install it. You purchased a license, and were gifted an install DVD to go with it. That license has rules that you were given a chance to disagree with.

If you read this post, you must send me $5,000 in the mail. If you continue to read this post, you must send me another $5,000.

I gifted you with my words, and you must follow them and send the money.

Absurd, right?

When you sell someone a product, making rules for how they are allowed to use it is questionable at best. But I am seriously not trying to debate that issue here. That is not the purpose or question in this thread.

And you would be wrong on the "eventual legal ruling". It's already been ruled that clickwrap EULA's are legally binding.

So a EULA that says "If you uninstall this software, you must send me $12 million" is legally enforceable? Sorry, this legal question is not resolved yet - not by a longshot.

-----------------------------

Back on topic:

Is there absolutely no technical way in which I can use one OEM copy of Vista on both of my brand new PCs?

As I said, they have identical hardware and will be on the same network (same IP address).

When you sell someone a product, making rules for how they are allowed to use it is questionable at best. But I am seriously not trying to debate that issue here. That is not the purpose or question in this thread.
No one has sold you software, they have sold you the right to use the software under their guidelines. You purchase a license, not the software. The software will and always will belong to Microsoft.

Is there absolutely no technical way in which I can use one OEM copy of Vista on both of my brand new PCs?

As I said, they have identical hardware and will be on the same network (same IP address).
You may be able to, but for how long? Once you activate one, youre most likely going to have to call to activate the other. If theyre both online and lets say there's a WGA update, I'm sure it'll hose both activations, you may have to call and re-activate, you may have just lost your license. Who knows.

You're spending hundreds of dollars on hardware, is another $110 really unreasonable to do shit the right way?

You are doing it all wrong Cambios. It's an OEM license. Come on man, I mean seriously...why? Why are you trying to find a loop hole? Most of the people that posted here already told you what's up.

Let's all be good end-users and honour the EULA.

Are you a student? Go contact your school and ask the if they can give you a big-ass discount on Microsoft products.

-----------------------------

Back on topic:

Nothing changes, and the answer remains the same. Rewording it or altering the meaning or hopeful answer won't change either. The answer, while different this time, doesn't change technically based on how you reworded your question:

Yes, there is absolutely no technical way to use one OEM copy of Vista on both your brand new PCs.

(with a little more em-faaaaaaaaaaaaa-sis this time for good measure)

well like they've been saying the answer is NO.. but if you need clarification you can simply click on the sticky at the top of the forum abd read about it ..

or just click here

You will find more sympathy for your point of view, as well as the answers you want to hear on a warez site. [H] is not such a site, and actually has rules forbidding discussion on how to do what you want in this matter.

Use the phone activation and you are good to go. All you will get is a robot on the phone and you read her the activation code. This clearly violates your EULA but then there are no EULA police to bust you.

Cheers!

Use the phone activation and you are good to go. All you will get is a robot on the phone and you read her the activation code. This clearly violates your EULA but then there are no EULA police to bust you.

Cheers!

There are however forum mod's and since you have just violated teh terms and conditions of using this forum...

While the EULA used in all software is a legal gray area (and the vast majority wouldn't stand up in court), this isn't just an EULA issue: for each copy of Windows you run you need a licence to run it.

Now now....... Wouldn't it stand to reason that this thread should be nuked in the first place if it asked a loaded question? If it is allowed to stay up by the mods then I feel it is fair to answer.

I respect this place, and really only gave a very basic answer, that being YES it is possible, and YES it is an EULA violation.

Cheers!

you aren't supposed to (EULA), but it is easy to do in practice, and (in my experience), activation is automatic on both my personal machines that I run my vista license on (despite being two very different machines). no need to call to activate or anything, both work, both update correctly, both pass WGA checks....

and its funny too... i actually got a free 2nd vista license (launch event), but never bothered to use it because when I installed on my 2nd PC, i didn't have my 2nd copy on hand (was away from home)

i'm formatting soon though (transitioning back to 32-bit on the 2nd machine because the TV tuner is flaky in 64-bit mode), so that 2nd license will be put to good use soon

I am not trying to run afoul of the rules here. I also did not want to debate the legal grey area of software EULAs. Obviously I feel I shouldn't have to pay for 2 copies of the exact same software so I can run it on two pieces of hardware - just as I bet most of you do not think you should have to buy two copies of any other IP (songs, games, etc.) for the SAME PERSON to use it on more than 1 piece of hardware.

So I am trying to find out how/if it is possible, and if so how.

I don't go to any warez forums of any kind, because I do not pirate software. I buy my software and always have. Is there a better site for me to ask a question like this?

I am not trying to run afoul of the rules here. I also did not want to debate the legal grey area of software EULAs. Obviously I feel I shouldn't have to pay for 2 copies of the exact same software so I can run it on two pieces of hardware - just as I bet most of you do not think you should have to buy two copies of any other IP (songs, games, etc.) for the SAME PERSON to use it on more than 1 piece of hardware.

I don't go to any warez forums of any kind, because I do not pirate software. I buy my software and always have. Is there a better site for me to ask a question like this?

I'll be perfectly blunt:

Are you out of your fucking mind or something? What part of "No." isn't clear enough for you to comprehend? Just because you feel you shouldn't pay doesn't mean Jack Shit© to me or anyone else, least of all Microsoft. The rules are simple: you need a license for each copy of the OS you intend to use, which typically means you have to pay for each license for each copy of the OS you intend to use.

The people that run this forum will simply laugh in your face if you ask them "Can I buy one copy of Windows and run it on two PCs at the same time legally?" because they know - not only as businessmen that know the rules, but also as enthusiast PC owners/builders themselves - that's how it goes.

Anyone that offers you a possible solution to your question directly would be providing you with a way to get around the requirement that you have one license per machine/installation - in other words they'd be assisting you in committing what is generally regarded as software piracy. Since that's against the law (at least here in the US where this forum is hosted, iirc), and is flat out against the rules of this forum (#15 and #18, specifically), I'm not sure where you'll be headed...

I mean really, how far are you willing to take this? Willing to lose your account here over it when your question has been answered several times so far? It's no, period. End of story.

Move along.

EULA's are no longer a gray area. Time and time again, they've been upheld as enforceable. The only times where the judge has thrown them out is when they violate first-sale doctrine, or if the end-user didn't have adequate access to view the license (e.g. "click here to view the ToS" links).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProCD_v._Zeidenberg
http://www.eff.org/cases/blizzard-v...g-affirming-district-court-grant-summary-judg
http://www.internetlibrary.com/publications/cwahe_art.cfm
http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case210.cfm
http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case356.cfm
http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case206.cfm

just as I bet most of you do not think you should have to buy two copies of any other IP (songs, games, etc.) for the SAME PERSON to use it on more than 1 piece of hardware.

I have Call of Duty 5 installed on both of my Windows machines, my room mate owns the same game for PS3, and my other owns it for XBOX 360. By your logic, this house only needs one copy. Because technically it's just different hardware. . .

I personally own 4 copies of Vista Ultimate. 1 license for each machine I own. There is no grey area in the EULA. I do not own this software, Microsoft has so graciously let me install it on my machine, for a very fair price. Considering the amount I put down on Adobe CS3 last year.

As for a better place to ask a question like this? Warez sites. Or maybe a forum hosted and operated in a country that doesn't look down on software piracy. Yes what you're talking about doing is software piracy. . .

just go buy a VLK.

save yourself the trouble of asking the question anymore :D

EULA's are no longer a gray area.

Yes, they are. But debating that is really not the scope of this thread.

As multiple people have already said it is possible, I'd be more interested in hearing their explanations than hearing 10+ people give the same official Microsoft line. But I do appreciate your time and contribution.

Yes, they are. But debating that is really not the scope of this thread.

As multiple people have already said it is possible, I'd be more interested in hearing their explanations than hearing 10+ people give the same official Microsoft line. But I do appreciate your time and contribution.

It is within the scope of this thread since what you're asking how to do violates the EULA you have to agreed to in order to use the product. Case after case is being ruled in favor of the terms in EULA's as long as the end user had ample opportunity to review the contract.

Is it possible? Of course. Is it legal? No. End of story. It doesn't matter how you feel about it. I don't like speed limits and don't agree with them sometimes, but there's nothing I can do about it when I get a ticket now is there?

I'd be more interested in hearing their explanations than hearing 10+ people give the same official Microsoft line.
When you signed up for an account here, you were shown a list of rules. The point people are trying to make is, you may or may not agree with the EULA, but if the rules around here state that discussing the methods to circumvent the EULA isn't allowed, then they shouldn't be discussed. Simple as that. None of us want this place to turn into a warez forum, and then have it shut down. So, for the point of this thread, one license means one computer.

When you signed up for an account here, you were shown a list of rules. The point people are trying to make is, you may or may not agree with the EULA, but if the rules around here state that discussing the methods to circumvent the EULA isn't allowed, then they shouldn't be discussed. Simple as that. None of us want this place to turn into a warez forum, and then have it shut down. So, for the point of this thread, one license means one computer.

QTF.

Now can we end this damned thread?

Getting back on topic...

Has anyone else here used 1 copy of OEM Vista on two computers on their own personal home network for their own use.

I understand everyone's view of the EULA. That's fine. But I am still asking a legitimate question.

I would say just go for technet and then it is a non issue for everyone - MS, forums, forum members, you.

Getting back on topic...

Has anyone else here used 1 copy of OEM Vista on two computers on their own personal home network for their own use.

I understand everyone's view of the EULA. That's fine. But I am still asking a legitimate question.

No, you're not. There is no way to phrase, reword, rework, or otherwise alter your question to make it applicable here. Check on a warez forum, torrent site, or similar. Not the [H].

No one here will help you with this because it constitutes piracy, which we do not advocate, and the discussion of which is clearly and unquestionably against forum rules. Please take the question elsewhere, as you're only endangering your own account and that of any who may help you in persisting with it.

The answer is no. It cannot be done legally, and thusly, cannot be done here.

It is not a legitimate question here in forums. The following two posts explains why:

No, you're not. There is no way to phrase, reword, rework, or otherwise alter your question to make it applicable here. Check on a warez forum, torrent site, or similar. Not the [H].

No one here will help you with this because it constitutes piracy, which we do not advocate, and the discussion of which is clearly and unquestionably against forum rules. Please take the question elsewhere, as you're only endangering your own account and that of any who may help you in persisting with it.

The answer is no. It cannot be done legally, and thusly, cannot be done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back