• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can I run a program installed on A on B?

Daravon

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
82
I have a program on my desktop. I don't necessarily want to install it on my laptop but I want to use it on my laptop. We are networked together.
 
First of all, what operating systems are the systems using? You could always use something like VNC to log in to your desktop from the laptop.
 
Daravon - youd have to use Remote Desktop from the laptop to sign into the desktop to use the application.

Valex -
You need to purchase the software for each PC it runs on, unless its freeware/shareware, or says you can install it on multiple machines in its documentation.
 
kaiory said:
Just open the network folder and run the application.
That won't work for a lot of applications. A lot of programs rely on registry entries and such, and therefore might not work when run like that.
 
Remote Desktop! If nobody needs to work on the desktop computer at that time.

To have programs become "multi-user"...meaning..someone works on the program on the desktop, while at the same time you're working on it from the laptop....the program needs to be written with "multi-user" in mind..so that you're truely sharing the same data. Plus you usually have licensing in this case.
 
ValeX said:
I have a very similar question...might be the same thing he is wondering.

I've got multiple desktop computers on my LAN running Windows XP home, and i'm too cheap to buy multiple copies of virus scanners and all that, can I make the application "shared" somehow? I think this relates nicely with the OP's question...

ValeX


Then use AVG, F-Secure's free product (if they still offer it), or go find the surplus PC parts websites and by last year's versions for like $10 a pop.
 
for the virus scanner cheapo guy.

this isnt reccomended but it might work

share your root drives and scan the shares with your AV, you might have to map the drives to get it to work, ive never tried so I dont know.

I only run 1 windows box as of late and even then I barely use it.
 
Back
Top