Can I pick your brain - Threadripper system

tived

Limp Gawd
Hi,
sorry to bother you all
but I was hoping I could pick your brain regarding a Threadripper system.

I currently have an X570 3900x setup but this storage system is troubling me, that I can't get the AIC to run at full speed. this has always been a pet issue for me in the past. the Ryzen is fast enough, it is the lack of PCIe lanes that is causing the issues for me

The system will be for content creation, image editing and processing originally for 2D images but I am moving into 3D still (cad drawing using Sketchup and will eventually look at rendering)

I hope I am getting a 3970x CPU from the UK - I am in Sydney, Australia,
I haven't settled on mainboard and what power supply to use (in the Ryzen I have an Antec High Current 850w and in my old SR-2 a Antec 1200w) not sure what model and
lastly I am looking for a quiet cooler. I would like not to go down the custom water cooling (don't have the $$ for it or the knowledge)

looking for quiet and cool!

UPDATE - 12 Nov

Looking for suggestions for (didn't all go to plan unfortunately)

I currently have
  • 4x 32GB G.Skill RipJaws 3200
  • Asus RTX-2070 OC
  • Fractal Design Define 7 XL case
storage
  • Gigabyte AIC NVME m.2 4x controller
  • 2x Seagate 520 1TB
  • 3x MP600 2TB
  • 1x Gigabyte GP 2TB
Want to get rid off
  • Ryzen 3900x CPU
  • MSI MEG X570 mainboard
  • Noctua 15D
  • Antec 850 High Current P/S
  • EVGA SR-2 with 2x 5650x etc...
  • Noctua CPU fans x2, 6x 8gb Kingston ram ECC
  • Lian Li V2120 matt black case - its xxl in size
I appreciate your time help and assistance, TIA

Henrik

Last edited:
Did you try the Gigabyte AIC NVME m.2 4x controller in the second video card slot?
Or even the primary slot?

The primary slot would put it on the lanes connected to the CPU right?

And take a look at this post for MSI settings to OC the 3900X to 4.4GHz all core.

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-voltage-confusion.1988044/post-1044586935

ETA: And you may be able to reduce your required lanes by going with fewer but larger capacity drives.
That would be cheaper than going with an all new TR system.

Last edited:
Reactions: tived
like this
Did you try the Gigabyte AIC NVME m.2 4x controller in the second video card slot?
Or even the primary slot?

The primary slot would put it on the lanes connected to the CPU right?

And take a look at this post for MSI settings to OC the 3900X to 4.4GHz all core.

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-voltage-confusion.1988044/post-1044586935

ETA: And you may be able to reduce your required lanes by going with fewer but larger capacity drives.
That would be cheaper than going with an all new TR system.

Hi Spartacus,

thanks for your reply

yes, I tried all the different slots i have on the board. but it didn't seem to matter, I could never get 4 drives (4x2TB) to be recognised on the single card. I have 5 drives running at the moment, 3 on the board of a MSI X570 MEG and 2 on the Gigabyte card.

bigger drives will definitely be cheaper then a TR, but I think the TR is more future proof, I am hoping (fingers crossed) that the TR will last me 10 years ($10k-10years) its not the processor i am interested in, it is the number of add-ons i can have to give me more flexibility.

although we are spoilt for choice these days with great CPU's etc the chipsets are still lacking a bit IMHO, granted I came from an EVGA SR-2 with 7 PCIe slots and never felt like i had to think twice if i could fit another card or not (only 1 GPU) so but three storage controllers!

Here in Australia there seem to be a shortage of TRX40 mainboard, so I was wondering if we are seeing a new series of boards or if this is the end of it?

thanks again

Henrik

PS: I should have a 3970x coming mid this month, just need Mainboard and cooler!

I have a similar setup to what you are building with a Prime TRX40pro for a mainboard powered by a Seasonic 1000W, in addition to a Quadro rtx4000. The heatsink is a NH-U14S-TR4-SP3. Temperatures are very good for an air cooler and usually high 70s under load.

like this
I have a similar setup to what you are building with a Prime TRX40pro for a mainboard powered by a Seasonic 1000W, in addition to a Quadro rtx4000. The heatsink is a NH-U14S-TR4-SP3. Temperatures are very good for an air cooler and usually high 70s under load.
thanks for your reply noxqzs, really interested in how your system is performing and what your experience have been so far

Hi Spartacus,

thanks for your reply

yes, I tried all the different slots i have on the board. but it didn't seem to matter, I could never get 4 drives (4x2TB) to be recognised on the single card. I have 5 drives running at the moment, 3 on the board of a MSI X570 MEG and 2 on the Gigabyte card.

bigger drives will definitely be cheaper then a TR, but I think the TR is more future proof, I am hoping (fingers crossed) that the TR will last me 10 years ($10k-10years) its not the processor i am interested in, it is the number of add-ons i can have to give me more flexibility.

although we are spoilt for choice these days with great CPU's etc the chipsets are still lacking a bit IMHO, granted I came from an EVGA SR-2 with 7 PCIe slots and never felt like i had to think twice if i could fit another card or not (only 1 GPU) so but three storage controllers!

Here in Australia there seem to be a shortage of TRX40 mainboard, so I was wondering if we are seeing a new series of boards or if this is the end of it?

thanks again

Henrik

PS: I should have a 3970x coming mid this month, just need Mainboard and cooler!

The slots on Ryzen don't support bifurcation most of the time - the AIC cards you can buy / come with things like the Prestige creation include their own bifurcation hardware. That's why it works on Threadripper but not on consumer, unless you have a card designed for consumer kit (and I don't know of a 4x consumer one, just 2x).

TRX40 is supposed to have a decent life ahead of it still. Pick any of them you like - MSI has a good one with the Creator, I've got a Zenith II Alpha that has been outstanding in every way, they're all pretty damned solid (especially at that price point) - I'd avoid the bargain basement ones.

like this
thanks for your reply noxqzs, really interested in how your system is performing and what your experience have been so far
I have two of the same coolers, one on a 3960X and one on a 1950X. They're excellent - cool, quiet, reliable, simple. Can't ask for more. The only other real options are the Wraith Ripper (mixed reviews) or custom water - the AIOs for threadripper are not any good.

like this
Hi Lopoetve,

thanks heaps for your reply - very encouraging

what is your configuration on your Threadripper?

Henrik

I should say, I am unlikely to overclock this thing (last famous words! LOL )

Hi,
sorry to bother you all
but I was hoping I could pick your brain regarding a Threadripper system.

I currently have an X570 3900x setup but this storage system is troubling me, that I can't get the AIC to run at full speed. this has always been a pet issue for me in the past. the Ryzen is fast enough, it is the lack of PCIe lanes that is causing the issues for me

The system will be for content creation, image editing and processing originally for 2D images but I am moving into 3D still (cad drawing using Sketchup and will eventually look at rendering)

I hope I am getting a 3970x CPU from the UK - I am in Sydney, Australia,
I haven't settled on mainboard and what power supply to use (in the Ryzen I have an Antec High Current 850w and in my old SR-2 a Antec 1200w) not sure what model and
lastly I am looking for a quiet cooler. I would like not to go down the custom water cooling (don't have the $$ for it or the knowledge)

looking for quiet and cool!

Looking for suggestions for
  • Mainboard TRX40
  • Power supply - if the current one isn't sufficient
  • CPU Cooling

I currently have
  • 4x 32GB RipJams 3200
  • Antec 850 High Current P/S
  • Asus RTX-2070 OC
  • Fractal Design Define 7 XL case
storage
  • Gigabyte AIC NVME m.2 4x controller
  • 2x Seagate 520 1TB
  • 3x MP600 2TB
  • 1x Gigabyte GP 2TB
Want to get rid off
  • Ryzen 3900x CPU
  • MSI MEG X570 mainboard and possible also a MSI Prestige X570 Creation when it comes back from supplier but hopefully I can get a credit
  • EVGA SR-2 with 2x 5650x etc...
I appreciate your time help and assistance, TIA

Henrik

Here's my TR3 build. Build: 3970x, dual 2080ti, 8TB m.2 RAID = Render Monster | Page 4 | [H]ard|Forum

The biggest problem I see is with your intended purpose for the rig vs what you're willing to spend to cool it. The rig I built spends most of its time rendering with jobs that go on past 5 hours at a time. There is no aircooling that can sustain loads that long w/o being thermal throttled past 30 minutes. Other than that I'm not sure what you're asking.

Regarding boards, I've had my hands on the MSI TRX40 Creation and I'm not impressed with it considering its cost. It's very cheap compared to a slightly more expensive board in the Aorus Xtreme, which is 850 in the US vs 750 for the MSI. The MSI is downright budget feeling comparatively speaking. It feels cheap, looks cheap, and is equipped much cheaper which is disappointing considering the difference in price is only 100 in the US.

like this
Hi Lopoetve,

thanks heaps for your reply - very encouraging

what is your configuration on your Threadripper?

Henrik

Zenith II Alpha (Asus TRX40)
3960X - NH-U14S-TR4-SP3 cooling it.
5700XT (I don't need much 3d on this one except occasional games, I'm doing video transcoding/VM work/server work while using it as a workstation)- will upgrade that to a 6800XT or 6900XT sometime soon.
64G G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
2x NVMe (boot and the one on the back of the board - silly asus)
Planning on adding additional NVMe as the VMs and video side grows, and possibly an additional AIC card for more if needed, and I expect I'll need to jump to 128G on the ram early next year. That's why I bought it - I run ~16c / 48G of VMs at any point in time right now, and want to be able to use the system at the same time. Works perfect for my needs.

Max load temps are around 83C sustained, which isn't bad for a TR3 with air (on all 24 cores). Stable as could be.

I almost did the TRX40 Creation from MSI, but - something about the Zenith called to me, and I had a deal on one fall through, so I bought it new. Love the system.

Here's my TR3 build. Build: 3970x, dual 2080ti, 8TB m.2 RAID = Render Monster | Page 4 | [H]ard|Forum

The biggest problem I see is with your intended purpose for the rig vs what you're willing to spend to cool it. The rig I built spends most of its time rendering with jobs that go on past 5 hours at a time. There is no aircooling that can sustain loads that long w/o being thermal throttled past 30 minutes. Other than that I'm not sure what you're asking.

Regarding boards, I've had my hands on the MSI TRX40 Creation and I'm not impressed with it considering its cost. It's very cheap compared to a slightly more expensive board in the Aorus Xtreme, which is 850 in the US vs 750 for the MSI. The MSI is downright budget feeling comparatively speaking. It feels cheap, looks cheap, and is equipped much cheaper which is disappointing considering the difference in price is only 100 in the US.
thanks SmokingMan - I want to hear that I only have to spend a little and It will do a fantastic job (looking for the unicorn! LOL) but, the truth is, that even though I am nowhere, where you are at with your rendering, this is where I want to be "one day!"
I am only just getting into it, as in I have just started to learn Sketchup. I used to in the past do photo retouching for Pro photographers which is a different set of requirements.

I don't see myself building an amazing water cooling system as you have, its just mind-blowing. The closest I can see myself with is maybe something like this Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280, looks like it is performing reasonable, from what I can gather (i could be completely wrong)

truth is, i am not working at the moment due to COVID, could be 6 months before I see the next pay check (not expecting tears here :cry:, after all I am building a TR LOL (y)) but it will be a while before it starts to earn its keep. I can always add and improve later, I just it up and running so I can build up my skill level.

Mainboards - so it is a NO to MSI, there are no Gigabyte Extreme ($$$$$) here in Australia, - only Designair ($$$$), Master ($$$) is available, ASUS, Extreme ($$$$$) and Strix ($$$$) is available, there might be a Asrock ThaChi ($$$)

Power Supply - if the 850w Antec won't work I will try and repurpose my older ANTEC 1200w but it is very loud (i know i am a bit sensitive :LOL: )

on the bright side, I think I got the 3970x at a good price by Australian Standards - fingers crossed it is good when it arrives.

thank you all for helping me out here sharing your setups and providing me with valuable insight

Henrik

None of the all in one coolers for Threadripper are any good. They don’t cover enough of the heat spreader. Air or custom water only.

like this
I’ll get a different cpu block for the Eisbear, that will fit the cpu better next.

I think that will be the strength of the Alphacool that you can interchange parts for someone who is dipping their toes into the world of water cooling for the first time. Fingers crossed it was a good decision 🤞😬

two more weeks and it should hopefully all be here and I can get it running, then I’ll have to offload my Ryzen to recover the cost.

You got the Acool modular system? Oh wait you don't want get another cpu block if its the modular system as it defeats the point. The pump is integrated into the cpu clock. Adding another block would be adding a lot of extra restriction and waste the cpu/block combo.

I would have recommended you just get a small loop. You're already going 95% of the way there. Iirc the Eisbear uses a DC-LT pump which is not very strong though granted it is powerful compared to the junk in typical AIOs. But it's not comparable to a D5 or DCC pump.

That said, you could upgrade the pump in it from the 2600 to the 3600 in the future since you're stuck in that path. The actual individual pumps are dirt cheap, 30 bucks for the 3600.

Last edited:
like this
You got the Acool modular system? Oh wait you don't want get another cpu block if its the modular system as it defeats the point. The pump is integrated into the cpu clock. Adding another block would be adding a lot of extra restriction and waste the cpu/block combo.

I would have recommended you just get a small loop. You're already going 95% of the way there. Iirc the Eisbear uses a DC-LT pump which is not very strong though granted it is powerful compared to the junk in typical AIOs. But it's not comparable to a D5 or DCC pump.

That said, you could upgrade the pump in it from the 2600 to the 3600 in the future since you're stuck in that path. The actual individual pumps are dirt cheap, 30 bucks for the 3600.
thanks I went ahead with just the https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...id-cpu-cooler-280-black-edition-ac-11594.html,
I was looking at your build log and saw you mentioned the Optimus and thought I could perhaps add that later. Looks like I am at least getting closer - really appreciate your feedback. I had the other cpu block in the basket, but when to have a sleep over it, Overnight PPCS shipped out the Eisbear, so problem solved itself ;-)

now its down to the mainboard,

local stock (in store)
  • ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-XE
  • MSI-TRX PRO 10G (no go!)

Local stock (at supplier)
  • Gigabyte TRX40 Designare
  • ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40
  • Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS Master
  • ASRock TRX40 Taichi
  • ASUS Prime TRX40-PRO
  • Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI
Gigabyte extreme isn't available here anywhere!!!

I have decided to replace my old Antec 1200w power supply Quattro ;-) its 10 years old. to Corsair HX1200? does that sound about right? jesus they are all so expensive LOL :unsure: stepping and dancing around the decision....which one? what it stable and quiet, the old Antec as like sitting in the airport

CPU should arrive 11-17 Nov (from the UK) and Cooler on the 11th (From Florida), very international build ;-)

TheSmokingMan, is this what you are referring to, for the pump?

Alphacool DC-LT 3600 ceramic - 12V DC - pump - bulk version

I haven't had any issues so far. Most of my workload is doing Solidworks rendering and even then the average render time for me is roughly 30-90 minutes. I went from a 5820k I7 and for comparison, similar jobs took roughly 8 hours. Maximum recorded temperature was 85* that I observed and that is at stock clocks. I only have one nvme drive and I can't compare to people that have multiple in RAID, but even in those cases I think its overkill unless you do heavy video editing. You are going to be happy with the system.

I haven't had any issues so far. Most of my workload is doing Solidworks rendering and even then the average render time for me is roughly 30-90 minutes. I went from a 5820k I7 and for comparison, similar jobs took roughly 8 hours. Maximum recorded temperature was 85* that I observed and that is at stock clocks. I only have one nvme drive and I can't compare to people that have multiple in RAID, but even in those cases I think its overkill unless you do heavy video editing. You are going to be happy with the system.
Thanks noxqzs,

that is great feedback, reminds me of when I moved from dual Opteron’s 250’s, I even had an intel Xtreeme 4 core, as well, to dual Xeon‘s 5650, and they all got blown away by the dual Xeon (back in 2010), i am hoping to see a similar improvement with the TR - this was doing photographic work. Work these days are moving more into 3D, old fox learning new skills here.

I hear you. Keep up with the times or get left behind. My education is mostly in EE but my passion for video games made me learn 3d modeling early. That transferred into me doing prototyping and design work.

like this
looks like I got let down on the CPU (never arrived!) so I am taking it a step down to 3960x due to the $$$ I will need to sell some of my gear to make up for it.

Did you get the money back on the MIA 3970x?
Hi Silentbob343,

Not yet, but eBay have indicated that i will happen ( i just hope it happens before xmas) - I took the leap, that it would and went and got another CPU but one step down 3960x.... so I am really counting on it

thanks for asking - are you in a similar position?

Henrik

Hi Silentbob343,

Not yet, but eBay have indicated that i will happen ( i just hope it happens before xmas) - I took the leap, that it would and went and got another CPU but one step down 3960x.... so I am really counting on it

thanks for asking - are you in a similar position?

Henrik
No, just was hoping you didn't have to eat the cost. Hope it works out for you, I hate scammers.

like this
Back