Can I make a disk image, format a raid0 array, and then restore my data?

Ugly_Jim

Limp Gawd
I need to reformat my raid0 array because I messed up the cluster and stripe size. Can I make a disk image using partition magic or something, change my stripe size, format the array, and then restore my data using the disk image? If I could avoid reactivating XP, that would be nice, but I can deal with it.

This shouldnt be a problem. I have done it before with previous raid0 arrays. The only time ive ran into trouble is when making an image with one drive and trying to load it on a different capacity drive (I went from 2x60gig maxtors in raid0 to 1 because I sold one). Windows XP doesnt like when you try to do that.

As long as you make an image of the array then load the image on the same array later you should be fine, reguardless of stripe size. Of course as always back up all important data before you try it.

He dosn't need to back up his important data, all of it is in the image. You can access individual files/folders by using Ghost Explorer (if using Norton's Ghost).

Anyway, it should work, and not cause problems.

As long as there are drivers, then third party software won't care if you're on RAID or not (unless programmed otherwise). Almost no software you run will even know the difference between a RAID-0 of 2 60GBs and a single 120GB drive.

ok, thanks. I wanted to make sure it was possible before I reformatted. let the fun begin :eek:

SlickJesus said:
He dosn't need to back up his important data, all of it is in the image. You can access individual files/folders by using Ghost Explorer (if using Norton's Ghost).

Anyway, it should work, and not cause problems.

Good point. His data will be backed up in the process.

Still, make sure to verify your image file before you format and rebuild the RAID0 array though.

While not officially supported by Ghost or any other reasonably priced imaging software it often works anyway
Ghost compatibility with RAID
Successfully imaging a RAID drive is dependent on the specific computer model, driver controller, hard drive, and RAID implementation

Ive never managed to image a parity RAID level
but the simple levels seem to do quite well, most of the time

read the link regarding other possible workarounds
and I would backup that data before doing it

Ghost Guide
If you don't know what RAID is, skip this section. I've never used RAID myself. Altho not officially supported, Ghost should work fine with any RAID controller that allows you to access the drives from DOS. In other words, Ghost should work fine with hardware RAID, but not with software RAID (cuz the OS creates the stripe, and you don't have your OS in DOS).

One reader says, "Drive Image hasn't worked for me with the Promise controller, but it works fine with the High Point. Ghost works fine with both."

One person had a problem with Ghost v7 imaging to a stripe created by a 3Ware Escalade card. He has both NTFS and FAT32 partitions on the stripe. I also heard of problems trying to image with Mylex controllers (IBM bought Mylex).

It seems that the 'DOS support' which some cards claim, does not always mean full DOS support. DOS support is not something most RAID adapters claim in their list of features. You'll have to try it on a case-by-case basis.

Vorpal reports success with 3 different RAID-based motherboards: two with HighPoint and one with a Promise controller. He says that he's done a lot of imaging with both controllers without a problem.

But he *is* having a problem with his Epox AK7A+ (DDR-based AMD/Via hybrid). The Ghost Boot disk will not load. Other boot discs & bootable CD-ROM's work fine. He got around the problem by copying ghost.exe to a regular boot floppy. It works fine that way.

Vorpal also said that a special (free) version of Norton Ghost came with his Epox motherboard. It contained two separate .exe's: one for writing images, the other for reading them. I've never heard of this before. Also, this link [Storagereview forums] might be helpful.

see article for embedded links (page 4)

what cluster size/raid stripe size do you guys suggest for just a normal desktop computer? I do a lot of hard disk heavy operations like parity recovery(quickpar) and file splitting/joining(winrar) but I also use it for gaming and other normal things.

Back