• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can HDMI display 1920x1200?

brumby05

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
192
I am looking at some new monitors, 24" and above. I am planning on using it for 360, ps3 and pc and some of the monitors I am looking at only have on hdmi input and no dvi. So I am planning on buying a 3x1 hdmi switch from monoprice. hdmi for both 360 and ps3 and dvi-->hdmi for pc. Will I be able to display 1920x1200 from the pc through a dvi-->hmdi-->hdmi switch? I know I can get 1080p from both 360 and ps3, but that is only 1920x1080. Will the switch and monitor display 1920x1200 from the pc?
 
Does anyone know if I will be able to run 1920x1200 through that hdmi switch? Will the switch hinder the full monitor resolution?
 
Yes, I can run 1920x1200 through an HDMI switch to my Westinghouse L2410NM from both an NVidia 8800GTS and ATI HD 3850, 3870, and 3870x2.

HDMI can definitely carry 1920x1200, but the monitor has to support it. For example, my BenQ Fp241VW's highest listed resolution over HDMI is 1920x1080. 1920x1200 works, but it needs a bit of finessing.

The Westinghouse has no issues, neither does the LG L245/6WP, nor does the BenQ G2400W. All these will announce their highest resolution over HDMI at 1920x1200.

Regards,

10e
 
Hmmm, related question: does a HDMI switch like the OP was suggesting hinder response times on monitors? Because if it doesn't, then lack of inputs on a monitor shouldn't really matter.
 
i don't think his concern is with the cable itself or the monitor, but the switch. many advertise a few resolutions that they support, like this:

"Compatible with computer resolutions VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA."

and WUXGA isn't one of them, which can be a cause of confusion. i honestly don't know if it will support 1920x1200 myself, but i don't see why not. it should just be passing the DVI/HDMI signal through.
 
I've seen some switches support 1920x1200, and others won't. You have to be careful when purchasing. I'd call the manufacturer's tech support first to confirm before ordering anything.
 
Hmmm, related question: does a HDMI switch like the OP was suggesting hinder response times on monitors? Because if it doesn't, then lack of inputs on a monitor shouldn't really matter.

Thats a good question, I hadn't thought of that, does anyone have lag through a switch?

I found this on ebay and it claims to run 1920x1200. It is only $50 which seems like it is too good to be true.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-PERFORMAN...ryZ73390QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It seems like a reputable seller but you never know.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It doesn't seem to affect lag at all.

My Westy is just as fast (slow!) with or without it.

Just be aware, if you are using an ATI 3xxx card (3870, x2, 3850) use the port the furthest from the motherboard connected to the switch (port 1). Port 2 may cause issues.

nVidia 8800GTS doesn't seem to care, it just works.

I got this overpriced piece of junk from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=7&id=1174694369279#productdetail

I call it junk because it feels cheap, but at least it allows me to effortlessly switch between PC and PS3 60GB on Westy and BenQ monitor with no issues so far. The other HDMI switch I returned wouldn't work with the ATI card at all. Blinked exactly every 10 seconds and caused the computer to stutter.

10e

Hmmm, related question: does a HDMI switch like the OP was suggesting hinder response times on monitors? Because if it doesn't, then lack of inputs on a monitor shouldn't really matter.
 
Back
Top