Can anyone recommend a good data recovery service in the USA?

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently, my Dad's Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 failed. Apparently, this is a pretty common problem, but it's beyond the scope of my skill to repair it.

Unfortunately, all the internet resources I can find on this problem seem to be data recovery services operating out of the UK, so I can find neither help with repairing this myself, nor a good place to send it. Is there a good, reputable data recovery service in the US that you guys can recommend?

Seagate will look at the drive for free. You can see their info on data recovery services here. You only pay for what is recovered, and they guarantee good data will be recovered. they have a whole list of promises here. Highlights:
# Evaluation is always free: Seagate Data Recovery Services knows that few people have experience with data recovery and you may feel uneasy about committing to an expensive procedure with uncertain results. That's why we will provide a firm price quote on recovery of your media, we will be very clear on the amount of data we believe can be recovered, and you have no obligation until you accept our quote. There are no hidden "attempt fees" or "failure analysis fees." If you don't like what you hear, you don't owe us anything.

# No files, no charge: If you accept our quote, our technicians will do their utmost to recover your data in full. We will report our progress to you through our Online Case Tracking system. If we are unable to recover the data as committed in our quote, you decide whether to accept the results or not. You can decline a partial recovery and pay nothing.

# Only good data--guaranteed: Our commitment to your satisfaction doesn't stop with completion of the recovery job. You are the final judge. If the files recovered are still unusable or corrupted, we want to know and we will do our best to make it good. In such cases, Seagate Data Recovery Services will, at our option, attempt to rectify the recovery or we will refund all or part of the fees paid.
Really, that's a pretty solid offering. Give em a shot - there's no obligation </cheesy infomerical voice>

www.Ontrack.com - great for recovery. I've sent ~5 laptop HD's and a few desktop drives to them and always got back what i needed.

You send them the drive, there is a $100 analasys fee and they will email you list of everything that is recoverable.
You say ok, and ~$1,800 later your data arrives back on CD/DVD/external HD.

DougLite said:
Seagate will look at the drive for free. You can see their info on data recovery services here. You only pay for what is recovered, and they guarantee good data will be recovered. they have a whole list of promises here. Highlights:Really, that's a pretty solid offering. Give em a shot - there's no obligation </cheesy infomerical voice>
I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Edit: Alternately, does anyone know where I might get my hands on a BVG group hard drive repair kit? It looks like that's all I really need to repair the drive, as the software they wrote for it appears to be reasonably straightforward, but the only places I can find that sell them are in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

I live in Texas.

Is it showing up as an N40P or something? I've had that happen before.

www.gillware.com is fairly cheap as far as data recovery goes and they did a good job with the one I had.

Back