Can an old soundcard slow bf2 play?

Peter-Griffin

Weaksauce
My soundcard sucks I think. Its a phillips dynamic edge 4.1. I've looked for updated drivers but can't find any.

Is it possible an old soundcard could cause slow or laggy play?

It might- try also switching the sound quality to 'medium' or 'low', and use 'software' instead of 'hardware'...

Totally, my phillips Soundedge was a total POS and made my games run like crap for a long time. BF1942 absolutely REFUSED to run on that card so I managed to secure an old Live! card from a friend and it was a big difference in quality and smoothness. Upgrading to an Audigy 2 was an even bigger leap then I expected. Hardware vs Software = no contest, a higher grade soundcard matters.

Dam this game is costing me a fortune!

I was looking at the Audigy 2, I can get a refrub for like 40 shipped on ebay.

Also might consider a Audigy 2 Value with hacked drivers I use that and on Doom 3 its awesome have't tried BF2

ok what about the performance of a SB live vs an onboard ac97 sound chip?

I am using the sb live now but was wondering if I might get better sound from the on-board

Bender_Unit_22 said:
ok what about the performance of a SB live vs an onboard ac97 sound chip?

I am using the sb live now but was wondering if I might get better sound from the on-board

Ummmm, no.

From the readme file for BF2:

"SOUND CARDS

- It is highly recommended to go to your sound card manufacturer's
website and download updated drivers for your card. For your
convenience the most common addresses are listed below:

CREATIVE: http://www.creative.com/support/

- We recommend Creative sound cards for use with Battlefield 2.

- The following sound cards do not support the Hardware Audio
Renderer option:

Altec Lansing ADA70 USB Speakers
AOpen AW-320
AOpen Phantom 3D AW-724
ASound Express II
Aureal Vortex
Aureal Vortex 2
Aztech A3D
Creative Labs SB 16 PCI
Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 NX
Creative Labs SB Audigy LS - (5.1)
Creative Labs SB Extigy
Creative Labs SB Live 24-bit
Creative Labs SB Live
Creative Labs SB Live PLATINUM
Creative Labs SB Live Value
Creative Labs SB Live X-GAMER
Creative Labs SB Live X-GAMER 5.1
Creative Labs SB MP3+ USB
Creative Labs SB PCI 128
Creative Labs SB PCI 512
Creative Labs SB PCI 64
Diamond Monster Sound II MX300
Diamond Monster Sound MX400
Diamond Sound Impact S90
Ensoniq Audio PCI PNP
ESS Canyon 3D
ESS Canyon 3D-2
ESS Maestro-2 3D Audio
Hercules DIGIFIRE 7.1
Hercules Game Theater XP 7.1
Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1
Hercules Gamesurround Muse Pocket USB
Hi-Live PCI
Hi-Live PCI SC4000
IOMagic Storm Surge
M-Audio Sonica
M-Audio Sonica Theater 7.1
M-Audio Transit USB
Microsoft Digital Sound System 80 USB
Nvidia nForce Audio
Nvidia nForce2 Audio
Philips Acoustic Edge
Realtek ALC861 audio
Siig Soundwave Elite 2000
Siig Soundwave Pro PCI
SoundMAX 3
SoundMAX
SoundMAX Cadenza (Intel 845)
SoundMAX Cadenza (Intel 850)
SoundMAX ADI AD1980 CODEC
Turtle Beach Montego A3D Xstream
Turtle Beach Montego II
Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzilla
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Yamaha Xwave-192
Yamaha Xwave-512
Zoltrix Nightingale Value

- SELECTING A SOUNDCARD
If you have multiple soundcards installed on your computer, you can
specify the one you would like Battlefield 2 to use, by using the
Windows Control Panel. Open 'Sounds and Audio Devices' and then
select the 'Audio' tab. From the drop down lists, select the sound
card you would like to use.

- AUDIGY CMSS 3D
If your Audigy card supports CMSS 3D it should be disabled when
using the Software Audio Renderer option in the Audio menu.
Otherwise you may experience poor quality sound.
It should be enabled when using either the Hardware Audio Renderer,
or the Hardware Audio Renderer with EAX Enabled, in the Audio menu.
CMSS 3D can be enabled and disabled using the "EAX Console" that
came with your sound card.

- CREATIVE AUDIGY 4
There is an issue where, if you are using an external volume
control with your Audigy 4, and adjust the volume while Battlefield 2
is running, your computer could crash. This issue is related to the
05/04/28 Beta Drivers. We highly recommend you check the Creative
website for a driver update.

- CREATIVE AUDIGY 2
Users of the Creatve Audigy 2, that wish to play with the Microphone
Boost option on, may find that this setting is not saved when
previously enabled in Battlefield 2. Resolve this issue by using the
Windows Volume Control to enable Microphone Boost.

- VoIP [BattleCommo]
Some soundcards might transmit static even when there is no
microphone attached.
This may cause the game to behave as if there was a microphone
attached – the BattleCommo icon will become visible, and muted.
To solve this, set the BattleCom Transmit Threshold in the Menu
to the highest possible value."

The main concern with soundcards and gaming is CPU Utilization which could cost you a few frames per second here and there. Creative cards have traditionally been the most efficient in this regard.

chart.jpg

Somthing is up with my mobos sound. My computer can play movies and audio cds fine at the moment but for some unknowen reason when battlefield 2 loads maps and does the intro movie and credits when I open it the sound gets very err ... strange, it gets all distorted during these times and also when i try to use windows movie maker and play back my movie. I have no sound card so thats not the problem and i am now wondering if i should blame BF2 or the lightnig storm that fried my friends powersupply as my computer was plugged in at the time the storm affected my pci ethernet card which refused to work untill i poped it out and back in. I have a AV8 3rd eye mobo for my amd 64. What do you think.

HardCopy said:
Somthing is up with my mobos sound. My computer can play movies and audio cds fine at the moment but for some unknowen reason when battlefield 2 loads maps and does the intro movie and credits when I open it the sound gets very err ... strange, it gets all distorted during these times and also when i try to use windows movie maker and play back my movie. I have no sound card so thats not the problem and i am now wondering if i should blame BF2 or the lightnig storm that fried my friends powersupply as my computer was plugged in at the time the storm affected my pci ethernet card which refused to work untill i poped it out and back in. I have a AV8 3rd eye mobo for my amd 64. What do you think.

Lighting = your probably screwed. Lighting damage sometimes is not immediate but I can bet your mobo will be toast within a couple of months.

I'm using a Hercules GTXP and wondering if that is too old to run BF2. Is there a site that has benchmarks of the GTXP and other cards with newer games?

well I am on my backup rig now with an axp 3200+ using onboard sound.. and in CS:S where the cpu gets raped.... my fps dropped to the mid 20's ALOT no matter at what resolution/settings... I tossed in my audigy 2 ZS and the fps drops to the mid 30's now... i's crazy.... but one thing that surprises me is how weak the athlon XP 3200+ is in CS:S :( I want my motherboard back from RMA NOW!! so I can toss back my a64..

it shouldnt be surprising, HARDWARE sound > software sound
you just gained 50%

try turning down your AA and AF settings, HL2 likes ATI's

rm19 said:
The main concern with soundcards and gaming is CPU Utilization which could cost you a few frames per second here and there. Creative cards have traditionally been the most efficient in this regard.

chart.jpg

wow the revolution uses that much cpu process :eek:

That list of unsupported cards flat out just sucks. Why in the hell doesnt BF2 just use the Direct X api and support more than the Audigy cards? The nForce2 SS is a great APU if not just about as good as the Audigy.

Met-AL said:
That list of unsupported cards flat out just sucks. Why in the hell doesnt BF2 just use the Direct X api and support more than the Audigy cards? The nForce2 SS is a great APU if not just about as good as the Audigy.

Caused Nvidia killed it is why.

Met-AL said:
That list of unsupported cards flat out just sucks.

Sucking is probably accurate for what Creative did to EA to make it so.

"Slurp slurp......now all those little turds will have to buy brand new Audigy 2's to play this game......slurp slurp....gulp"

Yeah no NF2, no santa cruz, and no Fortissimo's.... lol I have 2 of those 3 and 1 point considered the third! Those are popular and capable sound solutions. I've got an A2ZS and it's still crap.... the lack of support for others I mean.

Ruiner said:
Sucking is probably accurate for what Creative did to EA to make it so.

"Slurp slurp......now all those little turds will have to buy brand new Audigy 2's to play this game......slurp slurp....gulp"

:mad:

fuck creative. :(

How old is that graph, lmao?! But still, I've used the M-Audio Revo 5.1 and now the Audigy 2 ZS (thanks DRU for the loner). I'll be getting an A2 Value shortly.

wow, that list pisses me off. I just took out my Audigy 2 ZS a few days ago. Enjoying better sound, and more stable drivers already on the Game Theater. The ZS really is a piece of shit. EAX 4 is useless and so is the 5.0 HD that they are coming out with on the new soundcard. They haven't done shit with 4.0 yet they are coming out with 5.0. I really dislike Creative. Wish Hercules would update the drivers for this card one last time.

Back