can a disfunctioning usb device screw other stuff up?

eon

2[H]4U
so I buy this $1 usb hub, didnt expect much out of it but it was cheap enough to give a try
i thought it simply not working (and it didnt) was the worse that could happen but maybe there's worse?

after i tried it, my mouse on another usb port stopped working, plugging it back in fixed that. And then I seen another usb device's light blink a few times, its supposed to be a continuous light indicating its connected.
Later that night I plugged in one of my gamepads and it keeps losing connection and after trying for 10 minutes, couldnt fix it. I havent used this gamepad for months so maybe it just hit the dust but this one had been working solid for years.
And finally this morning I wake up with my keyboard and mouse not working, forcing me to do a hard restart.

is it a powered hub? depending on the m/b, if it is sharing the same voltage among all the usb ports then yeah, there may not be enough to go around. for $1 lost, really IMO not worth posting about.

is it a powered hub? depending on the m/b, if it is sharing the same voltage among all the usb ports then yeah, there may not be enough to go around. for $1 lost, really IMO not worth posting about.

well ofcourse i dont care if the hub broke, but i do care if my other usb devices somehow started malfunctioning
but it looks like all my devices are working normally now, besides the broken gamepad

Back