can a 300w PSU run an A64 setup?

Cold Dark Shadow

[H]F Junkie
i bought this case used along with a 300w PSU. Its the start of a new build but i was thinking about gettin into A64 stuff if i can find a good deal but curious if the PSU will be ok for it?
The PSU is a Forton FSP 300Watt PSU

The Fortron might be able to power an A64 system, maybe not. Fortron are good but
the +12v rail may not be up to the task. Especially if you get a top end gfx card which
connects direct to the PSU.

Good thing you replaced that CRAPPY Turbolink PSU.
If my memory serves the unit that came with your case is a rebadged Deer unit. Widely
accepted to be about the worst PSU made. Doubtful it could hold close to the rated
output for very long. Much less power an A64 system.

A *good* 300 W PSU can probably run most A64 systems without any problems at all. A cheap 300 W PSU, however, and all bets are off.

I don't know where Turbolink came from. The link is to an Aspire case and he says that the PSU he's using is an FSP. ;)

An FSP 300W will certainly power an Athlon64 build. I use them all of the time (FSP 300 and 350W PSU's come in the AOpen cases I use for builds)... But those builds are mere workstations WITH ON BOARD VIDEO. I don't think the PSU has enough overhead to support more than two drives and a PCI express video card. Seriously. I wouldn't do it.

jonnyGURU said:
I don't know where Turbolink came from. The link is to an Aspire case and he says that the PSU he's using is an FSP. ;)

An FSP 300W will certainly power an Athlon64 build. I use them all of the time (FSP 300 and 350W PSU's come in the AOpen cases I use for builds)... But those builds are mere workstations WITH ON BOARD VIDEO. I don't think the PSU has enough overhead to support more than two drives and a PCI express video card. Seriously. I wouldn't do it.

The lynk they provided is to the New Egg page that shows a Turbolink PSU included.
So I assumed that came along with the used case & trashed the Turbolink in favor of the FSP. My mistake.

CastleBravo said:
A *good* 300 W PSU can probably run most A64 systems without any problems at all. A cheap 300 W PSU, however, and all bets are off.

Exactly. I've used the 300w Fortron on many occasions for older systems & they are clearly
able to pump out more juice than advertised. One review had it putting out 390w sustained.
What concerns me, and what GURU was referring to, is what will be connected to the
PSU. If Dark Shadow has plans for a mid to top end gfx card, or a lot of peripherals, all
bets are off as you said.

Ill add a bit more info and see what you guys think, if it would be an ok PSU to use.
(BTW, the original owner of the case ditched the PSU that came with it and swapped it for the FSP, i would have if he didnt)

Plans for now (pulls from what i have now):
2 media drives (DVDRW and DVDROM)
2 HDDs (one 80GB and one 250GB)
9800 pro vid card (dont have yet)
1GB ram
1.3 duron (upgrading to atleast a XP2700+)
onboard sound.

Would like to run in it:
same media drives
single HDD (250GB or so)
9800pro or so
1GB RAM
possable A64 mobo and processor (if not then a decent mobo and atleast a XP2700+)

if any more info is needed just let me know.

Thanks for the help guy :)

depends on the load and which 300w fsp it is.
on the fsp website they have like 13 300w models listed, meeting different specs and needs.

so if you could give the model number, it would be helpful

as for the load: do you plan to upgrade w/this supply, or is this a kinda stop-gap until more funding can be acquired? i know that some of those can run a low end a64 and a 9800 pro, but i wouldn't dream of throwing massive cooling, a higher end proc, or a bigger graphics card at them.

ill see if i can get the model number from the dude.

I figure it wont be a permanent solution but id like it to last for a little while til i do get the funds together for a new/beeter one along with other possable upgrades.

Im thinking instead of going with non A64 stuff and having to buy everything later when i want to upgrade to A64 stuff i might has well start with lowend A64 and buy stuff that will support future better upgrades instead have havong buy everything all over again

Not sure if that made any sense, kindda hard to type what im tryin to explain lol

well, Ive got a 350 watt enermax powering alot more than whats in that system (except the proc. of course) so I think you should be fine

ok heres what i got from him

FSP300-60PN

Its a purple color with noise killer.

Its got a huge fan also

> " FSP300-60PN " <

Good, it has "FSP" in the part number = good internals. I can say from personal experience the "Hi-Q"
and "ATX" Fortron/AOpen/Sparkle units are not of the same caliber.

If I'm not mistaken that unit has an 18a +12v rail which is a good thing since many other
300w FSP have a 15a rail.

Cold Dark Shadow said:
ive never actually "looked into" PSUs before so i dont know whats good and what isnt lol

Unless I missed something the current will work. The future should. Honestly just got off work. So I'll run the future numbers in the morning. :)

Cold Dark Shadow said:
ok heres what i got from him

FSP300-60PN

It'll run the Duron easily, and should just run the A64 rig. Not sure about how far you'll be able to overclock though.

The majority of systems that I have built burn about 120 watts at full load. That's basic AMD64 with a low end video card. That's INCLUDING the loss due to the inefficiency of the power supply(Antec 350W approx 70% efficient). So the system really takes about 85-90 watts of power at full load.

An 800w "CLI Certified" :rolleyes: power supply is simply not necessary.

As far as the cheap vs name brand argument, you get what you pay for. It's not that the cheap power supply won't have enough power, it's that the power it supplies is dirty and unreliable. I know for a fact that a cheap 150W power supply is enough for an A64 3000, motherboard, 512mb of ram, x550 video card, 80gb hd, and dvd-r/w.

This is a tad redudant, but my Mom has been using an athlon 64 3200+ (754) and Radeon 9800Pro on a Fortron FSP 300w PSU for well over a year now. HTH.

davidhammock200 said:
Sure & pigs fly, too. :rolleyes:
You, sir, have obviously never used a Shuttle :)

Stock PSU powered my 6800GT, 200gb Seagate Drive, 2gb RAM, and DVD Burner on an LGA775 setup.

hignaki said:
You, sir, have obviously never used a Shuttle :)

Stock PSU powered my 6800GT, 200gb Seagate Drive, 2gb RAM, and DVD Burner on an LGA775 setup.
I agree that the Shuttle's are amazing PSU's! ;)
I know for a fact that a cheap 150W power supply is enough for an A64 3000, motherboard, 512mb of ram, x550 video card, 80gb hd, and dvd-r/w.
However the Shuttle's are NOT "a cheap 150W power supply". :rolleyes:

davidhammock200 said:
I agree that the Shuttle's are amazing PSU's! ;) However the Shuttle's are NOT "a cheap 150W power supply". :rolleyes:
><

Methinks I should've read further into what you said.

CDS: You should be good both ways. Your future looks like around 16amps on the 12v as a worst case peak draw.

davidhammock200 said:
I agree that the Shuttle's are amazing PSU's! ;) However the Shuttle's are NOT "a cheap 150W power supply". :rolleyes:

Score 1 for david.

davidhammock200 said:
Sure & pigs fly, too. :rolleyes:

Wow, for someone who was a sig with a bunch of power supply metaphors you would think you would know a little more about current technology computer equipment power draw.

Eickst said:
Wow, for someone who was a sig with a bunch of power supply metaphors you would think you would know a little more about current technology computer equipment power draw.

Is this still about the cheap 150w PSU?

If so what is the derating curve for said cheap 150w PSU? What is the peak draw of the system? What is the amp distribution? What ATX version? It is entirely possible to be a misbalanced PSU for the application. So no a random "cheap 150w" PSU would likely not work well even if the system only draws 120w normally.

There is a reason why you have to be conservative when recommending a PSU......we don't have EE's on hand to properly match derating curves (heck most of the time we don't even know the derating curve since the manufacturer doesn't provide them :rolleyes: ) to the exact crossload of a system.

Eickst said:
To quote Mr. T; "I pitty this fool". :p

price, cheaper the better right now i guess. Nothing really to expensive or high end for now. Somehting to get me started in A64

Features. Well lets see, im not sure, Mobo wise, something i can buy realitivly cheap but will still give me room for upgrades (Processor, Ram, ect) other then that im not sure. Something that will hold up for a good while that i wont have to worry about fixing all the time.

Cold Dark Shadow said:
price, cheaper the better right now i guess. Nothing really to expensive or high end for now. Somehting to get me started in A64

Features. Well lets see, im not sure, Mobo wise, something i can buy realitivly cheap but will still give me room for upgrades (Processor, Ram, ect) other then that im not sure. Something that will hold up for a good while that i wont have to worry about fixing all the time.

Well everyone has personal preferences but I use 3 lines when building systems without integrated video.....Asus, MSI, and Asrock. I personally don't use DFI boards and I will just leave that at that.

Processor is an easier call..........a venice core 3000+

Edit: messed up my links hold on.

Oh wait are you going to keep an AGP videocard? If so that tosses all the boards I like :(

im using an Asrock in the one im using now its treated me fairly well. its an older board but still does it job

Vid card i can go either way on, i dont plan on using any cards i have now so if i have to go PCI-E or whatever thats ok

Well then the two I would recommend are MSI K8N Neo4-F or for a little more ASUS A8N-E. AGP really is going to be dead end eventually so if you are willing to make the shift I would. The guys in motherboards may have a different opinion (and I would defer to their judegment) but these have worked well for me :)

I agree with Spectre.

I actually like MSI the most, but somehow ended up with three Asus boards right now. :( A8N-E, A8N-SLI and an A7V880.

You'd think I was some sort of Asus zealot. Next thing you know, I'm going to trade my Thinkpad in for a W2V. :(

Back