Camcorder Suggestions

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Canon ZR850 digital tape camcorder. I like it, but I would like to upgrade to something that is solid state.

What are some good starting suggestions for me to look into.

I need a decent zoom to film wrestling from the stands, school concerts, etc. I also want to shoot outdoors, kids football, baseball, etc.

I would like to go tapeless and even discless if possible. Price range would be 300 to 600 dollars if possible.

Thanks.

HD using SDHC cards
Canon HF-R100
Canon HF-R10

SD using SDHC cards
Canon FS22
Canon FS200
Canon FS300

another option is using a Canon DSLR with a nice telephoto lens, but then you are breaking the $1000 barrier.

I have a Canon HF-100 and can't recommend the Canon HD camcorders enough. It's 2 years old now, but it's successors should be even better. Paid $600 at the time, and don't regret it one bit.

I have an HFS100 I like alot. Price was ~$1000 6 months ago but it keeps droping as a new version is coming out, or maybe came out by now. Anyways, HFS100 might be down to $600 or so.

I have a Canon HF-100 and can't recommend the Canon HD camcorders enough. It's 2 years old now, but it's successors should be even better. Paid $600 at the time, and don't regret it one bit.

Yeah, I have the HF-100 as well, and I really like it. Of course it has since been replaced, and I can't really comment on the new models, as I haven't tried them. I will say though that I like using SD cards for recording the video, although to get a large and fast cards it can get a little pricey. You definitely want to buy cards with fast write speeds, as slower cards won't allow you to record at higher quality/higher bit-rate settings.

You shouldn't need that fast a card, Class4 seems to be required for most. Not sure what has a mode over 24mbps. Actually I'd stick with Class4 or Class6 cards. My HFS100 doesn't know what Class10 is, it disables the high bitrate modes when I use them. I had to go buy slower cards to use the high bitrate modes :p.

I'm using a Sanyo Xacti. It shoots some amazing hi def video and is about the same price as standard def cams with similar features such as optical zoom and a swiveling display. Plus it fits into a pocket as it's barely much larger than a cell phone. Oh, and it takes much higher res stills than most other cams, even higher priced. Avoid using digital zoom if you can.

Definitely get a class 4 card or better if you are shooting 720 or 1080 video.

Check YouTube for cam models and you can get a pretty good idea from the videos what you are going to be getting should you narrow your choice down to one.

HD using SDHC cards
Canon HF-R100
Canon HF-R10

SD using SDHC cards
Canon FS22
Canon FS200
Canon FS300

another option is using a Canon DSLR with a nice telephoto lens, but then you are breaking the $1000 barrier.

I ordered a Canon HF-R100 from Amazon today to replace my ZR-850 as it had broken on Friday.

$226.99

Back