Calling on audiophiles!

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Basically it comes down to the driver. Each model up improves upon the driver with more bass, higher frequency reach etc etc.

They have a decent upper end so you better have ears that like hard tweeters or like a little zing with your highs. The ad900x do have a nice low end, its not huge by any means but its there and its lightning fast.

So if I'm looking to get the most out of my money then the 500/700 would be a good choice then? I also want something that is super comfy. The Sennheiser PC 320's I have now hurt my ears after a while.

So if I'm looking to get the most out of my money then the 500/700 would be a good choice then? I also want something that is super comfy. The Sennheiser PC 320's I have now hurt my ears after a while.

You should probably try and demo them first. As a rule of thumb I go for the more expensive pair, because spending 30 bucks more upfront is not a huge loss compared to realizing the cheaper pair you saved on isn't what you hoped it would be. After the fact, the cost to swap is prohibitive... That said the 900x is a better than the 700x all around, but how much better depends on your ears and if that is worth it. I can't answer that for you. For me I would go with the 900x if I had to choose. However, personally I find them too bright and fatiguing over time. Other thoughts, the AD line is pretty comfy and light, though the wings can be annoying and lumpy.

I just sold a pair recently.
AD900x, DT 990 Pro, X2

AD line's main issue is the wing flaps. I dislike those. They aren't for bassheads either. Audio-Technica is lovely for female vocal though.

Sennheiser has a way different sound (being the 'veil'). I would opt for the AD line since I really do value the stagestage I get on them. If you ask me, the best c/p is in the 700, although I'd buck up to get the 900 if it's on sales.

Give them a budget, what type of music you like, Lossless music, etc? Do you own a DAC or some type of amp?. Onboard sound? Do you play games?

Add that to the first post because everyone is going to ask you over and over.

I hate the AD700s with passion. They sound completely weak due to an utter lack of bass. Would not recommend for anything.

Give them a budget, what type of music you like, Lossless music, etc? Do you own a DAC or some type of amp?. Onboard sound? Do you play games?

Best bet is for OP to read more, learn the diff can's signature sounds and then zero in on one and buy it used from head-fi.

Reactions: Reimu
like this

Good point. This will be for gaming, and casting. Also some music, and movies since my computer is used for all of the above. I have a Yamaha MG10XU that marries my main PC and streaming PC together, and has my AT2020 hooked up as well. So whatever headphones I get will be plugged into the Monitor for the 10XU. My dedicated gaming set are my Sennheiser PC 320's, which I am also looking to replace. Ever pair of Senn's I've had seem good, but are stupid uncomfortable. I will easily have my headset on for 8 or more hours a day so comfort is just as important as sound.

Senns break... they be all plastic. Buy a pair now, you will be taping the broken swivel in a couple years.

See obove.

Best bet is for OP to read more, learn the diff can's signature sounds and then zero in on one and buy it used from head-fi.

That's how I scored my X2 for only $150 shipping included. I'd buy headphones used every time if possible!

The entire AD line isn't for basshead.

It is one thing to be bass-light... and the other is bass-lacking. The AD700 is clearly the latter. So much so that they are unusable for 95% of music genres. The most disappointed headphones I have ever owned, to be honest.

My ATH-AD900X are lacking bass also or a better description might be that the highs drown out the bass. I get more bass out of my Pioneer SE-A1000 headphones. Too bad the Pioneer headphones make me look silly and the cord is 20 feet. :) They sound really good to me; especially compared to the ATH-AD900X. One day I might try something more expensive like HIFIMAN HE400S.

When I say that my Pioneer headphones make me look silly, I really mean it. Comfortable as heck as I have a lot of hair and a big head. :)

61SI860WsIL._SL1000_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fidelio x2 used if you want more bass.

The AD900 is fine as an all arounder. For $150 or so they are nice and REALLY comfortable.

Samson SR850s are a really cheap but decent full sized headphone too. Just get them with fabric pads.

I really dislike the AD line of headphones... due to the previously mentioned lack of bass... and the AD700's I use to own.. didn't want to stay on my head.. which was good because I was literally allergic to the ear pads (brand new out of box I had allergic reaction to the ear pads).

I have been using for the last 2~years and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880 (mine are premium 250ohms) headphones. great sound and especially the premiums god like comfort.

Reactions: Reimu
like this
I really dislike the AD line of headphones... due to the previously mentioned lack of bass... and the AD700's I use to own.. didn't want to stay on my head.. which was good because I was literally allergic to the ear pads (brand new out of box I had allergic reaction to the ear pads).

I have been using for the last 2~years and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880 (mine are premium 250ohms) headphones. great sound and especially the premiums god like comfort.

Comfort is so important that you cannot compromise with that when it comes to headphones. I have a problem with IEM because some tips leave me itching with no end.

And the bonus is it saves you having to break them in!

Oh yes, this as well. Having someone else doing the 100hr or more of this burn-in beforehand does make a difference with some headphones

Comfort is so important that you cannot compromise with that when it comes to headphones. I have a problem with IEM because some tips leave me itching with no end.

Oh yes, this as well. Having someone else doing the 100hr or more of this burn-in beforehand does make a difference with some headphones

Yeah, I used to not believe in headphone burn in. Then I got my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. They were PAINFULLY sibilant when new, but eventually settled in really nicely!

I bought those Pioneers mentioned before... I still have mine.. but I never use them.. I'm a big guy 6'2" and the pioneers basically won't stay on my head properly because they are so big (there is a simple mod...I just never bother with it.) they lack of fitting any but the very largest (seriously must be top 5%) of headsizes that these actually fit worth a dang.... I don't like the ear pads on these either..not allergic they just feel blah.

I'm a bit of a beyer fan boy I guess ... I own both the DT770 Pro 80 and the DT880 Premium 250 ohms.. depending on application these are my favorite headphones to use when portability isn't a big concern.

I bought those Pioneers mentioned before... I still have mine.. but I never use them.. I'm a big guy 6'2" and the pioneers basically won't stay on my head properly because they are so big (there is a simple mod...I just never bother with it.) they lack of fitting any but the very largest (seriously must be top 5%) of headsizes that these actually fit worth a dang.... I don't like the ear pads on these either..not allergic they just feel blah.

I'm a bit of a beyer fan boy I guess ... I own both the DT770 Pro 80 and the DT880 Premium 250 ohms.. depending on application these are my favorite headphones to use when portability isn't a big concern.

I find myself being one of those weirdos who like the sound of the T1 without any kind of special amp (just digital dac straight up).

I appreciate all of the input. I have decided to start with the Philips SHP9500 HiFi. They were well within my budget range, and seemed to offer what I am looking for. Once I have them, I'll report back on how they are working out. Thank you all!

For this price range, I'd take a look at the Hifiman HE-350 on massdrop for 100 right now (1 day left as of writing). Measures well, and reasonably flat, for what it is.

Massdrop x HiFiMAN HE-350 - Massdrop
Massdrop x Hifiman HE-350 Measurements | Super Best Audio Friends

I highly recommend Hifiman too. Their headphones are topnotch. They are very detailed and accurate but not at the cost of not being musical and nice sounding. Bass is also just right in amount, not overwhelming but is clearly audible and goes deep.

Their orthodynamic/planar headphones require a hefty amount of juice to sound good (a headphone amp that can push lot of current into a low impedance load. Hell, I heard some nutjobs connected their very hard to drive HE-6 model into the speaker outs of a hifi amp. And nothing blew up. :eek:) since they are basically a mixture of electrostatic and dynamic headphone by design, but their lower ordinary dynamic headphones are not that picky and should sound great even on less than ideal rigs. I have the HE-500 model which I think is their easiest to drive orthodynamic model and it basically ended my search for optimal headphones for music. And I had gone through a lot of them from nearly all price points!

I highly recommend Hifiman too. Their headphones are topnotch. They are very detailed and accurate but not at the cost of not being musical and nice sounding. Bass is also just right in amount, not overwhelming but is clearly audible and goes deep.

Their orthodynamic/planar headphones require a hefty amount of juice to sound good (a headphone amp that can push lot of current into a low impedance load. Hell, I heard some nutjobs connected their very hard to drive HE-6 model into the speaker outs of a hifi amp. And nothing blew up. :eek:) since they are basically a mixture of electrostatic and dynamic headphone by design, but their lower ordinary dynamic headphones are not that picky and should sound great even on less than ideal rigs. I have the HE-500 model which I think is their easiest to drive orthodynamic model and it basically ended my search for optimal headphones for music. And I had gone through a lot of them from nearly all price points!

Except the HE-350 is not ortho, it's dynamic.

If you don't like your tweeters made of the hard stuff, hard domes you want nothing to do with the HE350s as they have a lot of upper midrange and treble to spare.

I appreciate all of the input. I have decided to start with the Philips SHP9500 HiFi. They were well within my budget range, and seemed to offer what I am looking for. Once I have them, I'll report back on how they are working out. Thank you all!

Waiting to hear how you like them. ;)

Waiting to hear how you like them. ;)

And hear you shal'! I have had them for a full day now, and I can say this: I love them so far. Especially for the price I paid. They are lightweight, comfy, and the sound is very balanced. My only bit of criticism is that the 3.5mm cord they came with is shorter than I would have liked; back on the plus side though, it is detachable so I can just get a longer one. As for the set themselves, the only con I can think of is that when I turn the bass up on my MG10XU two clicks past the default, the bass in the headset becomes very distorted. With the treble it's clean and clear all the way. Overall I'd say an 8/10. :)

I hate the AD700s with passion. They sound completely weak due to an utter lack of bass. Would not recommend for anything.

I completely disagree. The AD700s were very nice sounding, comfortable headphones with a 'wide' soundstage, they're just not for bassheads. I find them similar to my Sennheiser 800s with somewhat less bass for a fraction of the price.

That said, I did not care for the newer AD700X model. Seems like the quality went down.

Last edited:
Sennheiser has a way different sound (being the 'veil'). I would opt for the AD line since I really do value the stagestage I get on them. If you ask me, the best c/p is in the 700, although I'd buck up to get the 900 if it's on sales.

The "veil" applies to the HD600 line and not HD500 line. My suggestion is buy HD558 for gaming and general use. You can get those for way under $200 and are very comfy.

Back