Call of Juarez - The best game you haven't played!

Hmm, this game only gets 72% on Metacritic (critics) users score it 83%. I may still look out for it on eBay if I'm short of a game during the summer.

Hmm, this game only gets 72% on Metacritic (critics) users score it 83%. I may still look out for it on eBay if I'm short of a game during the summer.

This is one of the games where the rating doesn't reflect the game, I think many here can attest to that.

And if you look at most reviews the biggest strike against it is that the system requirements are too high, and 2 years later now that is a non issue.

This is one of the games where the rating doesn't reflect the game, I think many here can attest to that.

And if you look at most reviews the biggest strike against it is that the system requirements are too high, and 2 years later now that is a non issue.

True. I played the Demo and it was excellent but when the game got around to being released I saw the negative reviews and wasn't sure it was worth buying so I never did, now that it's on steam for 10$ though I bought it and hopefully will still like it. I tried to get into two worlds but couldn't the first time I tried. The Combat is just painful in that game.

Now if The Witcher drops in price I'm definitely going to buy that as well...

I have it and like it, just haven't finished it, along with
Crysis
Bioshock
Call of Juarez
Call of Duty 4
Painkiller Expansion
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
I just don't seem to be into gaming anymore. :-(

I am still into gaming, but I just don't seem to have the time to play like I used to. To many other priorities.

:) nice timing! Think my system will be able to run it at my 24" native res (without AA) well enough?

Yea, probably not with max settings but if you crank down a few shaders it should be completely runnable.

Well I managed to get to act VII already and I have a feeling I'm getting closer to the end of the game but I'm not so sure. I'm definitely having a blast though.

Performance is real smooth on my system @1280x1024 with a mix of high and medium settings, not sure just left whatever the game defaulted me at since it still looks great and I don't feel like messing with it.

Well I managed to get to act VII already and I have a feeling I'm getting closer to the end of the game but I'm not so sure. I'm definitely having a blast though.

Thats about 1/2 way through. Episode XV is the last one

I downloaded the demo from Gamespot. The game seems okay, nothing great so far. The thing that stands out is the dreadful AI.

DX10 mode should be good, but the demo doesn't support this.

Just purchased this game from the $10 Steam deal. Look forward to playing it tomorrow. :)

I was about to until I read people's suggestions on the checking out ebay first. They had $8 shipped Buy it Now Auctions. But then I checked out the non Buy it Now Auctions and there is a liquidator selling for $3.99 free shipping. Luckily no one bid, and so I'll be receiving that shortly!

Im glad to see some commotion over this game again! I am playing it through again with DX10 since i beat the Euro version...looks phenomenal :D

I decided to upload some screenies for those who do not have it...

House where I grew up :p

Screen_1105_091637copy.png

Nice scenery:

CoJ2008-06-2720-18-15-40.png

CoJ2008-06-2720-15-40-67.png

My ride:

CoJ2008-06-2719-29-40-43.png

Nice doggies...

CoJ2008-06-2719-47-43-75.png

Guess what happens....

CoJ2008-06-2719-31-55-90.png

The blood splatters are intense!

CoJ2008-06-1519-09-40-36.png

DRAW!

CoJ2008-06-2719-39-19-97.png

The Witcher, what a brilliant game. Buy it even at full price!

Yeah, definitely will pick up the Witcher but I just got into STALKER, thats fine though since I'm delaying the purchase of it until the enhanced edition comes out or I run out of other games to play.

Back to Call of Juarez, I finished it a few days ago and I really enjoyed the story, it ran great, looked great and was a fun game to boot. I'll go out and say that 10$ for the game was a sweet deal. Might play it again some time in the future.

I've started this game and I am addicted to it, I am on the part where I have to go to the Eagle's nest. The graphics are awesome, the gameplay is awesome (playing as Ray reminds me of Max Payne for PS2), I just love it.

It also requires patientence :p you can't depend on the compass to show you straight to your objective. 10/10. Been playing this more then any other game.

I've started this game and I am addicted to it, I am on the part where I have to go to the Eagle's nest. The graphics are awesome, the gameplay is awesome (playing as Ray reminds me of Max Payne for PS2), I just love it.

It also requires patientence :p you can't depend on the compass to show you straight to your objective. 10/10. Been playing this more then any other game.

Haha, glad you liked it, I had a lot of fun with it, I'm prolly gonna play it again very soon.

So...what's the FSAA situation in this one? Does it work? All the time? DX9/XP or DX9/Vista only? Or DX10/Vista only?

I seem to recall trying the demo a ways back when I was still on a 1280x1024 monitor, and couldn't even stand to get out of the building you start in - the crawling aliasing was AWFUL.

I bought the game when it was on sale on Steam and I have been playing it here and there...pretty fun game...worth the money if you can pick it up fairly cheap.

i got it for $9.99 and i have not been impressed so far... it has a crappy FPS feel to it.

i got it for $9.99 and i have not been impressed so far... it has a crappy FPS feel to it.

How far into it have you gotten? After the first few episodes it starts to pick up imo...I wasn't too impressed with it at first either but after a bit I must say I am starting to like the game more and more.

How far into it have you gotten? After the first few episodes it starts to pick up imo...I wasn't too impressed with it at first either but after a bit I must say I am starting to like the game more and more.

Indeed. I probably enjoyed the main storyline more then I enjoyed Half-Life 2's main storyline. Although the actual gunfights in CoJ where a little to reliant on slow motion.

Well... Having read all the praise in this thread I went and got the demo and I have to say I really wasn't impressed at all.

It's exactly as I imagined it to be (and why I avoided it in the first place); tacky, wankily drawn gun models, no real sense of full control, and just generally awkward gameplay. I like my FPS's to be ultra sharp and slick affairs and this Call of Juarez, despite it's commendably very hard efforts, just didn't grab me. I can see that the story is pretty good and the characters seem to work well, but the gameplay just fell short imho.

Not for me I guess. Thanks for the heads up though. ;)

Back