Call of Duty 5: Modern Warfare 2 may have lead to the untimely demise of my 360

x_MaGiuS_x

Gawd
So I've had this Xbox 360 Elite since Christmas of 07. No issues ever. Just spent days playing Borderlands with no issues. Yesterday I go purchase MW2. Put the game in and it needs to update already. It updates fine and I start playing but the whole time the screen is slightly blurry (Very slightly, hardly affected playability). Within an hour my on-screen image deteriorated from mildly fuzzy to slightly green then mostly green and finally all green/blue with no xbox image at all.

What I experienced is caused by the GPU overheating and basically frying itself.

Im not trying to say that it's MW2's fault. However I think this game may stress the system a little more than your average game. If you are an owner of a time-bomb elite like I was use caution when playing this game.

As an aside, experiencing a hardware failure while unemployed, with the holidays looming is terrible.

MS should fix it smartish, give them a call.
I've had a couple of friends get their out of warranty 360's fixed, only took a week.

MS should fix it smartish, give them a call.
I've had a couple of friends get their out of warranty 360's fixed, only took a week.

Damn, you know a few people personally that had to have their 360 fixed? Sure speaks loads about the failure rate :eek:

Yes the failure rate is high (old news now), I have another friend who has a failed one ready to be sent off.
(None of them are new machines, all older models)
MS have taken it on the chin and sort it out rapidly, so its not a hopeless situation.

ps I dont own a 360

If Microsoft would fix it for free that would be wonderful. My system is over a year out of warranty and i opened it up yesterday to reapply thermal grease to the gpu. The odds of them fixing it for free are not good.

Was looking through Craigslist this morning and noticed two people looking to trade their copies of MW2 on 360 for the PS3 version after having their 360s crap out on them.

Im tempted to abandon the platform as well but I have 20 games, plus at least $100 worth of downloadable content.

It is really hard to go out and buy my third Xbox 360. I take very good care of my things, this should not keep happening.

If Microsoft would fix it for free that would be wonderful. My system is over a year out of warranty and i opened it up yesterday to reapply thermal grease to the gpu. The odds of them fixing it for free are not good.

Umm, RROD is 3 years..... You did, however, void the warranty completely when you opened it up yourself.

Umm, RROD is 3 years..... You did, however, void the warranty completely when you opened it up yourself.

That would be great If I actually experienced a RROD. The lack of video output does not trigger the RROD.

I would never open a console under warranty. That would just be silly, however, thanks for attempting to make me look foolish for doing so.

The issue I have is one Microsoft knows about. The repair is $99 if you sign up over the web (which I couldnt) $119 if you have to call.

I've already had one system repaired by Microsoft. The turn around was fine and I wasnt charged last time (RROD) but they gave me somebody else's Xbox which cosmetically was inferior to mine.

Im not going to spend $119 for a repaired Xbox that could have come from a smoke-filled house. I think I'll just buy a new elite then sell the extra hard drive, controller, power brick and headset.

There are ways to guarantee a RROD, but that's all I'm going to say on that subject.

In my opinion Anything except Jasper (and maybe Opus) units are power hogs with bad cooling.

If you cant get that sucker fixed yourself please dont pay the repair fee just to have somthing else burn out in my opinion, In my opinion grab anything that can be salvaged (HD, cards, controllers, games, wireless) and as soon as possible get a Jasper series.

The best way to do that by FAR is to get the arcade version at 199. My jasper unit runs very cool but do be sure to ensure it is not in a confined area. That was the #1 way older units died (I saw a 360 running in a pile of clothes once. almost guaranteed overheating doing that)

i dont know where u are located at but if u are in the usa go to gamestop.
get a refurb for 199 comes with 20gb hdd component cables and 2 wireless controllers. use the system and sell the rest. it should really recoop some of your cost man

That would be great If I actually experienced a RROD. The lack of video output does not trigger the RROD.
Doesn't generally matter these days. Most people with any sort of error just send their machine in as a RRoD job and MS sort it...

... though there are always the unlucky couple who get their repair denied, I think I'd always give it a try first.

I didnt want to waste the time and money sending it in. I had one of the original Elites. I wanted a new Jasper unit.

I bought the COD:MW2 bundle today for $400. Returned the unopened game for $63 and I needed another controller and a new headset anyway. The new system runs much quieter and doesnt get as hot. Hope it lasts.

Anyone need a power brick, 120gb hard drive or any of the video cables? Im broke as hell. (Read- I have plenty of money but am pissed that I had to spend it on this)

Last edited:
Why would you guys keep re-buying these things? You can build a decent gaming PC for not much more.

there is no way to build a gaming pc for the price of a xbox 360

I have a fine gaming pc. None of my friends do however. The xbox 360 is the only way to play with all of my friends. Real life friends over online friends anyday

I didnt want to waste the time and money sending it in. I had one of the original Elites. I wanted a new Jasper unit.

I bought the COD:MW2 bundle today for $400. Returned the unopened game for $63 and I needed another controller and a new headset anyway. The new system runs much quieter and doesnt get as hot. Hope it lasts.

Anyone need a power brick, 120gb hard drive or any of the video cables? Im broke as hell.

The most I can offer you is 50USD for the HD. I would do more to help a hard luck case like yours but my hours got cut at work and im going to stretched for Xmas.

But frankly you just screwed yourself getting that bundle. You managed to luck out and end up with a Jasper as more than a few are reporting getting 90nm units. But 199 would have given you a much more likely chance and not drain your bank account.

People get this is your heads. The Arcade version is the SAME Jasper unit as any other Jasper 360. It is just missing HD storage headset and HD cables. If you get banned or yours burns out do yourself a favor and get the arcade! You can attach all your old stuff, activate xbox live on that xbox and be up and running cheap and quick.

Well if you bought a launch one and then another one you would have.

I didn't buy a launch 360 I bought an Arcade like many do. Yes I spent 90USD on the wireless dongle but that was stupid rather than required as I had not heard of using a modded wireless router as a bridge.

199 MAY be able to handle a dual core and 785G chipset. But the HD 4200 only works well in low res environments. And the HD is going to be 250Gb or less.

If you are broke as hell why are you hanging on to 20 games. Keeping your money in games that lose value is stupid. In fact why do you have time for gaming at all?

If you are broke as hell why are you hanging on to 20 games. Keeping your money in games that lose value is stupid. In fact why do you have time for gaming at all?

We have no right to be prying into his finances. I sure as hell would not want anyone talking about mine.

My XBOX 360 just got RROD last night after I've been playing MW2 since Tuesday.... This game does kill systems!

I was reading reddit and there were a few people complaining about MW2 bricking their systems too. I played my 360 for about 10 hours today, I'm sure that wasn't good for it :p

Sorry to hear yours blew up Magius, be careful if you decide to buy a used system. I read about a lot of banned 360s ending up on craigslist lately.

Well if you bought a launch one and then another one you would have.

That is like saying you could have built half of a gaming PC in November 2005 (360 launch date) and finished the other half of it from anytime between then up until now. By your logic that means a possible time frame of up to 4 years not being able to play any games because of the PC only being half complete. Not to mention the PC cost/performance/game requirements back then compared to now.

My XBOX 360 just got RROD last night after I've been playing MW2 since Tuesday.... This game does kill systems!

Was it a Jasper unit? Or even an Opus?

Did it have proper venting? And no stuffing it in the back of a shelf is not proper venting. It needs to be on top of something with access to the natural airflow in the room.

MW2 has nothing to do with it.

That is like saying you could have built half of a gaming PC in November 2005 (360 launch date) and finished the other half of it from anytime between then up until now. By your logic that means a possible time frame of up to 4 years not being able to play any games because of the PC only being half complete. Not to mention the PC cost/performance/game requirements back then compared to now.

Well I've got a 360 and I've got 2 high end pcs. I cant stand gaming on the 360, the kids use it mostly. There is just no contest and when it does RROD which I'm sure it will - they all do, I won't really even care.... :D

I think MW2 killing 360s is hilarious tbh.

Anyone need a power brick, 120gb hard drive or any of the video cables? Im broke as hell.

Americas problem today.

Americas problem today.

You've never heard someone exaggerate the state of their financial situation to make a point? I was able to leave the store legally with the MW2 bundle and I haven't missed a meal since. I don't use credit cards, car is paid off. People making blanket statements without knowing the facts is the real reason America is in trouble.

To the guy who asked why I still have 20 games, I need to ask in return why you felt the need to sell your games at what must have been a loss. Never hear of Blockbuster? I keep what I buy.

Some people must not read the threads they post in. I dont get all of the PC recommendations and talk. I understand that a PC is a better game platform. I have a nice PC, but having a PC that can play Fallout3, COD:MW2 or Borderlands at or above the level an Xbox 360 can costs more than $400. In addition, my friends all have the Xbox.

My first Elite had video issues and MS fixed it for free (actually just gave me a new Elite)
It was still under warranty. But I wanted a Jasper so I sold it and bought the MW 360 bundle.
Much quieter and 250gig of space. No issues so far playing MW. And another 3 year warranty if it does. Happy with my upgrade.:D

Fix your broken box, its really easy and only cost about 20 bucks (if you already have the correct tools). Heat gun and X-clamp replacement works wonders.

You've never heard someone exaggerate the state of their financial situation to make a point? I was able to leave the store legally with the MW2 bundle and I haven't missed a meal since. I don't use credit cards, car is paid off. People making blanket statements without knowing the facts is the real reason America is in trouble.

Making two statements that contradict themselves is not much of a point.

well i too have been dealt the fate of mw2 destruction. i have a falcon based, halo 3 xbox. its been perfect since day 1. I come back from a vacation, plug the power back into the xbox (i unplugged it while i was away so no power surges, etc, could damage it) power it up, gets to the dashboard, logs into live, and then i put mw2 into the drive. go to the bathroom, hoping it will be up when i return. sure enough, rrrod! no fricken way i thought. but sure enough, the f'n game killed it. way to go m$

well i too have been dealt the fate of mw2 destruction. i have a falcon based, halo 3 xbox. its been perfect since day 1. I come back from a vacation, plug the power back into the xbox (i unplugged it while i was away so no power surges, etc, could damage it) power it up, gets to the dashboard, logs into live, and then i put mw2 into the drive. go to the bathroom, hoping it will be up when i return. sure enough, rrrod! no fricken way i thought. but sure enough, the f'n game killed it. way to go m$

See this is what I was talking about. My system was flawless prior to MW2. Never a hint of trouble. First day I have MW2 it green screens.

I would have upgraded sooner if I had known how much quieter the Jasper system was going to be though. Night and day difference in sound plus it uses 25% less electricity than my old system.

I thought I would hate the aesthetics of the MW2 edition system but the graphics are fairly tastefully done. The system does not look out of place amongst my other black/silver electronics.

See this is what I was talking about. My system was flawless prior to MW2. Never a hint of trouble. First day I have MW2 it green screens.

I would have upgraded sooner if I had known how much quieter the Jasper system was going to be though. Night and day difference in sound plus it uses 25% less electricity than my old system.

I thought I would hate the aesthetics of the MW2 edition system but the graphics are fairly tastefully done. The system does not look out of place amongst my other black/silver electronics.

since i wasn't going to sit around with mw2 sitting on my table, i went out and bought a new elite. im going to call m$ and get my old 360 fixed, but in the mean time, i am really enjoying how much quieter this elite is. the black also blends in well with the rest of black gear in my ht setup. guess ill have an extra box :(

Are you 100 percent sure it had good venting (And by that I mean it on TOP of everything not stuck deep inside a cabinet)

I highly doubt it wasnt bad cooling rather than MW2

Back