Calibration/ICC profile question, I haven't seen this asked

ChrisK15

n00b
I just received a used Dell 2007FP monitor with an IPS panel, and it seems some of the gray tones are a bit beige. When I tried loading a preset ICC profile that I found, it did change the color settings in Photoshop and the like, but it didn't change any of the other applications/Windows. Is there a way to get the profile to affect everything, or does it only apply to the programs that utilize it? I was hoping that I could make everything look the same. What do you guys know?

Thanks,
Chris

Chances are you're not using an Apple, or specifically, you must be on Microsoft. The OS and programs that 'don't change'... it's due to the fact that they are not color aware. Nothing you can do about it.

Profiling software often comes with widgets that load ICC profiles and try to have the whole desktop displayed as if it was colour-managed. My X-Rite/Monaco EZColor package has an app called MonacoGamma which loads a settable .icm when Windows starts. WinXP built in colour management doesn't work this way.

What are the cons and pros of using these ICMS ???

Should i bother installing the ICM profile provided on the monitor DVD disc ?

The Pros are that color in general should be more accurate. How much depends on the colorimeter and software used. Comparing a Spyder 2 Express with a Lacie Blue Eye Pro package, you will generally get far better results with the Lacie, thus the 4x price.

The cons are that if the monitor is really bad out of the factory, calibrating may throw out "off" colors and induce a bit of banding. If the monitor is horrid before calibration, the banding can be progressively worse.

One thing though. On Windows XP/Vista, games will load their gamma values into the Video Card's LUT (color Lookup table) and calibration will be as it is without the ICM profile. This is why most good calibration packages will get you to "pre-calibrate" the monitor to get the closest possible prior to the ICM profile creation step.

Generally it is up to you to use the monitor ICM profile. Generally the manufacturers don't include "gamma" data in the ICM profile, and only set the color space (ie wide gamut vs. standard gamut) within the profile. You will notice even if you enable it, there is generally no change in color quality/characteristics. Most ICM profiles with gamma data are more than 50kb, whereas the manufacturer ones are usually less than 10kb, and this is a way to tell the difference. Some of these widgets mentioned will show an asterisk beside the profile name, indicating there is gamma data and adjustments in that profile.

Thx 10e for the comprehensive reply.

What about for people that cannot afford stuff like spyder 2 etc. Is it worth to install ICM o_O; ?

Is it possible to remove ICM after its installed and set back to the original settings ? I got a Vista 64bit ultimate Os by the way :cool:

Are you replying to my post?

The ICMs that I load with the MonacoGamma tool are ICM files created when I calibrate+profile using the OptixXR colorimeter that came in the package.

Getting accurate colour depends first on calibrating the monitor (setting target colour temperature, white point, black point, gamma). After this point the controls MUST NEVER be touched. Then a profile is created by using the colorimeter and a series of colour blocks which determine your individual monitor's variances from perfect gamma from black to white on each colour channel individually.

This corrects all greyscale problems, identifies the exact gamut of your individual monitor etc...

This is nothing like loading the ICM files that came on the DVD. True ICM profiles made with a colorimeter are created on your individual monitor with the front panel settings that you set up in the calibration phase - no shrinkwrapped profile can provide that.

I personally think they are of very little value. A possible exception might be an sRGB profile coming with a wide gamut monitor. It's possible that the factory could correct the wide-gamut appearance through a cookie-cutter profile. I don't have a wide gamut display to experiment with so I have no firsthand experience.

...What about for people that cannot afford stuff like spyder 2 etc. Is it worth to install ICM o_O; ?...
No for all the reasons mentioned but primarily because it is a cookie cutter solution. You need a hardware calibrator to account for the unique flaws of that particular monitor.

Price shouldn't be an issue. A Huey or Spyder II can be had for $40-$100 on Ebay easily and both would be more than enough for most consumers.

I was wondering about a hardware calibrator but i didn't know what which hardware to get and which software to use.

I'm a noob so i need a good realiable cheap calibrator that gets results :X is there such a thing ? The next thing i need to do is check if it's on sale in Malaysia. I really was seriously thinking of getting hardware calibrator but i am totaly clueless about it though.

Scared i buy but don't know how to use it.

I was looking at the Spider 3 Elite which is the updated version. But the review says it's not quite worth what your paying for :confused: What matters to me is if i buy it, it won't be a waste and it's software i can use that is easy for a noobie to handle. For example how would i know what to put in the settings here

advanced_menu.jpg

comparison_chart.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/spyder3elite.htm

I have an Eye One Display 2 and it works great. The Eye One Match software it is supplied with is fine and tells you what to do at each step.

It is a highly regarded piece of kit.

The Spyder series works for a lot of people but when reviewed doesn't give fantastic results. That being said, they are ALWAYS better than doing nothing. If you aren't that picky, or don't need professional grade colour control there's nothing wrong with them. Spyder 2's are probably all over ebay - they are popular and cheap.

The Monaco/X-Rite Optix XR DTP94 was a fantastically review colorimeter which lots of people love, but during various acquisitions it was discontinued in favour of the incumbent Eye One. Both the DTP94 and EyeOne work with multiple calibration software packages from multiple vendor - each with pros and cons. Beware of x64 support for DTP94 - it supposedly works, as does Vista patches of some of the Monaco software. I haven't been able to get it to work though.

Moogle: you'll learn how to set the parameters after reading the documentation which comes with whatever product you buy. If you don't even know why you need colour management, target lower-market products and save money by buying used as long as it is legit and includes all the docs. You probably also don't need ambient lighting compensation and that sort of thing. I wouldn't get any less than a Spyder2, however, the original Spyder isn't that hot.

If you do need higher grade profiling for pros, I'd go to photography related computing/post processing forums and read their reviews and opinions as that is their area of focus (no offense to [H]).

Hm well i don't do photography work or anything like that. My pc is for leisure purposes such as movie/video watching and playing games.

I play things like Counter Strike, World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3, and etc.

I'm currently using a PVA LCD Dell 2405 FPW which the reviewers at the time i bought it said the factory calibration was good enough as is, so i wasn't too worried about having to adjust it myself.

Now i am seriously looking at upgrading to a S-IPS LCD HP LP2475w. I am not sure whether factory calibration is good as is or whether i should get the calibrator hardware for it.

I got a Dell 2405 FPW, 2 tn panels next door, and a LCD HDTV downstairs. So i thought a calibrator could also be used for these other monitors at same time to get my moneys worth.

My main goal is to setup my new upcoming lcd to show the best possible picture quality to watch movies and play games :X such as Diablo 3 out next year etc. Can a caliberator achieve that or not really needed unless i do photography work ? What do you think :x

You mentioned different Eye One Display 2 vendors are giving different software. So which software bundle with it do you recommend ? :confused: What is your recommendation.

Eye One kit comes with the Eye One Match software. It works well. Try it out before thinking about buying different software.

10e, do you think it is a good idea to use such loader with NEC 2690?

The Pros are that color in general should be more accurate. How much depends on the colorimeter and software used. Comparing a Spyder 2 Express with a Lacie Blue Eye Pro package, you will generally get far better results with the Lacie, thus the 4x price.

The cons are that if the monitor is really bad out of the factory, calibrating may throw out "off" colors and induce a bit of banding. If the monitor is horrid before calibration, the banding can be progressively worse.

One thing though. On Windows XP/Vista, games will load their gamma values into the Video Card's LUT (color Lookup table) and calibration will be as it is without the ICM profile. This is why most good calibration packages will get you to "pre-calibrate" the monitor to get the closest possible prior to the ICM profile creation step.

Generally it is up to you to use the monitor ICM profile. Generally the manufacturers don't include "gamma" data in the ICM profile, and only set the color space (ie wide gamut vs. standard gamut) within the profile. You will notice even if you enable it, there is generally no change in color quality/characteristics. Most ICM profiles with gamma data are more than 50kb, whereas the manufacturer ones are usually less than 10kb, and this is a way to tell the difference. Some of these widgets mentioned will show an asterisk beside the profile name, indicating there is gamma data and adjustments in that profile.

Eye One kit comes with the Eye One Match software. It works well. Try it out before thinking about buying different software.

Hiya. Could you give me the link ? Scared i look at the wrong one :D

Is this the correct one ? Eye-One Display 2. It says it comes with the Eye One Match software ;)

http://www.rpimaging.com/store/PID67

The Eizo site explains clearly what are the benefits of a calibrator.

01e.jpg

02e.jpg

07e.jpg

http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/calibration/01.asp

I didn't realize you needed to recalibrate every few months :eek:

I didn't realize you needed to recalibrate every few months :eek:

Calibrating once a year is better than not at all.

The information you present from Eizo is intended for graphics professionals (300-400 hours PER MONTH) not gamers. A typical gamer's "need" for color profiling is not in the same league. I doubt they're really concerned that a screenshot of Mass Effect comes back from the printing house in 30"x20" with skin tones that exactly match the display.

Calibrating and profiling a display is PART of a colour-managed workflow from capture to printing. If you're using Photoshop or similar to do post on a photoshoot, you need the colour and gamma that comes out of the printer to match what you see on the screen or it's a very expensive mistake.

ICM/ICC profiles can/should be created for every capture device (scanner/camera), display device and output device. If you look at Costco photo-printing you can download the exact ICC profile for the individual printer residing at your local Costco. Photoshop can use this to adapt your output to that exact printer to produce perfectly matched colour. You can also see the effects of the printer's gamut limitations by soft proofing with that ICC profile while you're editing.

I re-profile between 2 and 4 times per year for my "advanced amateur" purposes. These same purposes are part of the reason I'm hanging on to a GDM-F520 CRT instead of going LCD.

So are you saying for my gaming and video watching, monitor calibrator is not really needed ;_; ? Basically.

Needed? No.

If you're the kind of person who wants to do things "the right way" or the same as the pros whether you need it or not - go ahead and get a profiler. That's part of my personality and was part of the reason I got one.

Everything will be more "correct" when calibrated and profiled, but if you jack around with contrast, brightness, dynamic contrast, "gaming settings" and all that it's a waste of time. When you calibrate and profile you have to leave the controls alone - period. Further, if you software calibrate using the video card's LUT, most games seem to overwrite this with their own crap when they start. Pretty much every time I launch a game, I see my desktop go to uncalibrated appearance, then the game launches. I can see the difference in the colour temperature and the grey in the game that it isn't using the LUT profile my software loaded. When the game exits, my ICC LUT is reloaded and the display goes back to calibrated.

Some games, like HL2, have a "color correction - yes/no" setting. No idea just what this does because the help says "this enables color correction" just like a motherboard manual would. Unless you could select an ICC profile of your choice, it's not doing what it sound like so it probably isn't that useful.

It's fine if you aren't using SpectraView II because it has it's own startup loader.

If SpectaView isn't being used, then it's no problem. I don't use a loader. I have a little application from Monaco which allows someone to change profiles just by clicking them, and it is useful if I've loaded up a game which has removed the profile from the video card's color tables, so I can just re-enable it quickly.

10e, do you think it is a good idea to use such loader with NEC 2690?

Needed? No.

If you're the kind of person who wants to do things "the right way" or the same as the pros whether you need it or not - go ahead and get a profiler. That's part of my personality and was part of the reason I got one.

Everything will be more "correct" when calibrated and profiled, but if you jack around with contrast, brightness, dynamic contrast, "gaming settings" and all that it's a waste of time. When you calibrate and profile you have to leave the controls alone - period. Further, if you software calibrate using the video card's LUT, most games seem to overwrite this with their own crap when they start. Pretty much every time I launch a game, I see my desktop go to uncalibrated appearance, then the game launches. I can see the difference in the colour temperature and the grey in the game that it isn't using the LUT profile my software loaded. When the game exits, my ICC LUT is reloaded and the display goes back to calibrated.

Some games, like HL2, have a "color correction - yes/no" setting. No idea just what this does because the help says "this enables color correction" just like a motherboard manual would. Unless you could select an ICC profile of your choice, it's not doing what it sound like so it probably isn't that useful.

Good to know. thanks for your input.

Well i checked the price for the calibrator ( Eye One Display 2 ) and it costs half the price of the monitor i am planning to get :eek:

What monitor are you looking at? The Display 2 only costs $199. If you are looking at TN panel I would say stick with Huey. Its not worth the $199 for a 6bit TN panel.

It's fine if you aren't using SpectraView II because it has it's own startup loader.

If SpectaView isn't being used, then it's no problem. I don't use a loader. I have a little application from Monaco which allows someone to change profiles just by clicking them, and it is useful if I've loaded up a game which has removed the profile from the video card's color tables, so I can just re-enable it quickly.

IF you have a hardware LUT capable monitor and you're seriously interested in calibration, get the SVII software. It will load the "profile" right into the monitor instead of loading it into the video card's LUT. This is one of the sole advantages of the NECs, Eizos and other panels with hardware LUTs. Everything, including games, will receive the "correction" in this way. Not to mention the correction is more accurate at 12-bits per channel.

What monitor are you looking at? The Display 2 only costs $199. If you are looking at TN panel I would say stick with Huey. Its not worth the $199 for a 6bit TN panel.

Hiya thx for the reply.

I am looking at the new HP LP2475w that is being made available this month in August. They already show it for sale on the UK website and also in Japan. Shouldn't be long till it will be available in Malaysia as well.

It's a 10bit using the latest S-IPS panel the Wu4 ? i believe.

USD 299 is like Rm 1000 of my currency :eek: The HP monitor is expected to be RM 2200 at least. Kinda seems a lot of money for a calibrator :(

Needed? No.

Ok newbie question. So how do you avoid the graphics card LUT from being used ? Is it even possible for ingame to use the calibration after spending all that money :eek:

Are you saying the only way is if your monitor has an internal LUT like the NEC ? Does the HP LP2475w have it ?

I was checking the sites but it didn't mention anything :(

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/my/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-444767-444767-3648442.html

http://lcd24-7.info/Compare.aspx

This other thread people were speculating whether it had a LUT or not http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1326971

:x

Someone mentioned in this thread you can purchase the Spectra view software bundled with the eye one display 2.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86955

SVII-KIT – SpectraView Kit – Colorimeter and Software
Combining an ultra-sensitive NEC/GretagMacbeth iOne Display V2 co-branded colorimeter measurement sensor and sophisticated SpectraView II software. This easy-to-use calibration and profiling solution is perfect for color-critical applications such as computer graphics, digital animation, medical imaging, pre-press production and film, video and photo editing studios.

Doesn't the default software for the eye one display 2 load the stuff into the monitor lut for games ?

I found 3 different software that came with the eye one display 2, which should i get :X

X-Rite EZcolor with Eye-One Display 2 Bundle

X-Rite Eye-One Display 2

The SVII software will only calibrate xx90 series NEC monitors like the 2490 and 2690 but you need it to utilise the full hardware calibration capabilities of those monitors.

The Eye One Match software that will come with X-Rite colorimeters will not hardware calibrate any monitor.

If you get the SV kit with colorimeter from NEC you should be able to download the Eye One Match software from X-Rite and use that software, with the colorimeter from NEC, to calibrate other monitors such as the Samsung you mentioned.

Source: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1322761

So.... unless you use a NEC monitor with internal lut, then no point in getting the spectra software ? And from what your saying, that is the only software that calibrates to the internal lut :eek: ..... omg. Any ideas people ?

Only SpectraView can load data into the display's LUT. Other vendors will have their special software to load the hardware LUT. Most profiling software loads the video card's LUT, which other applications like games can overwrite at a whim.

(Of course I'm not sure why a high priority is being placed on colour-profiled gaming)

Wow very fast reply. Thanks.

I just read about the software that came with the HP monitor i mentioned.

Using the HP Display Assistant Utility HP Display Assistant, included on the software and documentation CD, is a software utility that guides you through the tuning process with easy to understand instructions and background patterns designed for each monitor control. It provides:

● Accurate screen calibration through the use of step-by-step instruction Wizards to obtain the best overall image quality.

● Software control of the monitor image and color settings to eliminate dependence on the monitor’s front panel buttons and On-Screen Display (OSD) menu.

● Defined preset display settings for each individual user in a multi-user environment.

● Multiple preset display settings for a single user based on content and ambient lighting.

● Asset Management and Power Management capabilities that include remote control for individual or a group of displays on the domain from a centralized console application.
The HP Display Assistant Utility has two modes of operation: Wizard and OSD mode. The preferred method of use is Wizard mode, which takes you through a step-by-step process to accurately calibrate the monitor. This method relies on a sequence of steps that will obtain the best display results when completed.

NOTE: Refer to the HP Display Assistant user guide for additional information about the software.

When you meant special software did you mean this ?

(Of course I'm not sure why a high priority is being placed on colour-profiled gaming)

It depends how bad the monitor is stock. I had a Dell 3007-HC. It would hurt my eyes looking at the radioactive reds in games...

Other than that. I like simplicity. I like that you could calibrate the monitor and not have profile supported/non supported nonsense changing colors as you switch applications/games/movies etc...

I just want half decent normal colors that don't change depending on an applications level of support for profiles/graphic card lut etc..

Hi so if the ICM doesn't have the gamma settings, would it be possible to caliberate that after installing the ICM ?

Is it worth to install the ICM in the provided dvd ? Also is it reversible to uninstall the ICM ? I think i read somewhere about it being hard to remove ICM once you install it, is that true :confused:

Absolutely,

I purchased the SVII-KIT after I bought my NEC. My original intention was to buy the SV model but it went out of stock locally the day I decided to purchase it, but the SVII-KIT is almost mandatory for the LCD2690WUXI-BK, otherwise you get oversaturated colors and other inaccuracies addressed very well by SVII.

Unfortunately with other monitors that don't have the LUT programming, the only thing that gets calibrated is the computer, and due to colors being "dropped" or remapped during calibration, this can result in banding.

I've also used BasiCColor 4.1.8 for Windows to calibrate my other monitor without programmable lookup tables and it worked very well with the Eye One D2, and gave me excellent results, with minimal banding.

The Eye One Match software is ok too, but it can result in calibration that seems a bit on the cold side.

Thanks for the info

IF you have a hardware LUT capable monitor and you're seriously interested in calibration, get the SVII software. It will load the "profile" right into the monitor instead of loading it into the video card's LUT. This is one of the sole advantages of the NECs, Eizos and other panels with hardware LUTs. Everything, including games, will receive the "correction" in this way. Not to mention the correction is more accurate at 12-bits per channel.

I have multiple profiles loaded into the system, but you can only "attach" one color profile per display device, whether it's a printer or monitor.

So while removing an ICM is a bit of extra work, you can always just switch to a different one, and most calibration software (if not all) will auto-switch to the newly created ICM with gamma settings that it creates after the calibration step.

I doubt this would be a big deal as both within Vista and XP, you can switch ICM profiles pretty much on the fly.

I don't think an ICM without gamma settings is worth installing from a DVD, because I believe all it does in that case is define whether the monitor is standard or wide gamut, and without gamma settings, it's usually immaterial.

Hi so if the ICM doesn't have the gamma settings, would it be possible to caliberate that after installing the ICM ?

Is it worth to install the ICM in the provided dvd ? Also is it reversible to uninstall the ICM ? I think i read somewhere about it being hard to remove ICM once you install it, is that true :confused:

This is why I place an emphasis on "out of box" color settings on monitors. If the settings are horrible, games will look "off". In addition if you are playing games that are dark and don't have built in brightness adjustments, it can be difficult to see anything.

For example, having compared a BenQ FP241VW (with below average stock calibration IMHO) to my NEC LCD2690 or BenQ V2400W, certain games looked far better on the V2400W and NEC 26 because the FP241VW made things look somewhat grey.

Funny enough after calibration the FP241VW is almost as good as the NEC, and slightly better than the V2400W outside of games. Even more strange the FP241VW has fairly good color calibration with HDMI, component and VGA, so with consoles it's quite good.

Strange these things are ;)

Only SpectraView can load data into the display's LUT. Other vendors will have their special software to load the hardware LUT. Most profiling software loads the video card's LUT, which other applications like games can overwrite at a whim.

Absolutely,

I purchased the SVII-KIT after I bought my NEC. My original intention was to buy the SV model but it went out of stock locally the day I decided to purchase it, but the SVII-KIT is almost mandatory for the LCD2690WUXI-BK, otherwise you get oversaturated colors and other inaccuracies addressed very well by SVII.

Unfortunately with other monitors that don't have the LUT programming, the only thing that gets calibrated is the computer, and due to colors being "dropped" or remapped during calibration, this can result in banding.

I've also used BasiCColor 4.1.8 for Windows to calibrate my other monitor without programmable lookup tables and it worked very well with the Eye One D2, and gave me excellent results, with minimal banding.

The Eye One Match software is ok too, but it can result in calibration that seems a bit on the cold side.

Thanks for the info

There seems to be 2 types

SVII-LEDKIT - SpectraView LED Colorimeter & Software (Custom calibrated for the LCD2180WG-LED-BK only)

http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Monitors/spectraview2/

This is why I place an emphasis on "out of box" color settings on monitors. If the settings are horrible, games will look "off". In addition if you are playing games that are dark and don't have built in brightness adjustments, it can be difficult to see anything.

For example, having compared a BenQ FP241VW (with below average stock calibration IMHO) to my NEC LCD2690 or BenQ V2400W, certain games looked far better on the V2400W and NEC 26 because the FP241VW made things look somewhat grey.

Funny enough after calibration the FP241VW is almost as good as the NEC, and slightly better than the V2400W outside of games. Even more strange the FP241VW has fairly good color calibration with HDMI, component and VGA, so with consoles it's quite good.

Strange these things are ;)

Your talking about factory default settings are you ? Well doesn't the hardware calibrator suppose to fix that :confused: ? Brightness, color etc.

I'm using vista 64bit by the way ;)

Uh so does the calibrator help you make a ICM profile specifically for wide gamut if that is something your monitor supports ?

Also if you had a choice which would you pick, Eye-One Display 2 bundled with

1. Eye-One Match

2. EZcolor

I couldn't find a review comparison online :/

Is Colorbasic free :confused:

Someones interesting take on Internal hardware monitor luts versus graphics card lut.

High bit=(more than 8bit) internal display LUTs are only useful if these LUTs can be accessed and manipulated through the display's DDC data path using the display manufacturer's specialized software installed on the user's system.

You can get away without using these LUTs and just rely on the video card's 8 bit data path only if you use the display's native gamma and color temp setting. As Edward indicated subtle posterization artifacts will start showing up if calibrating to anything other than native especially in the highlites.

However, my 2004 G5 iMac has an 8 bit S-IPS panel and when I use the EyeOne Display to calibrate I get subtle banding seen in all single color mathematically perfect gradients made in Photoshop that expand the entire screen. The banding only shows up in the 30 -80 RGB shadow section of these gradients because colormeters are not as accurate at metering in these regions. They need light.

That's why there are those that calibrate by first cranking the backlight all the way up on their displays, laptops in particular, to allow the puck to see these shadow regions. Once the profile is built and implemented they return the backlight to it's normal setting with much better results in regards to banding and gamut measuring. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. I'm temped to try this technique on my iMac someday, but right now the subtle banding isn't a major problem. I don't have Edward's posterized highlites issue.

And besides I don't see this banding in photos that have organic gradients such as those in ND filtered blue sky's. The organic dithered qualities of photos tends to hide this banding while graphic artists who produce perfectly mathematical gradients in Photoshop or any CGI software will see banding using sub $1000 displays.

But to achieve close to sRGB colours, it is important to additionally load custom profile into the video card LUT. Or not?

All this seems very complicated. Too bad 2690 has no true sRGB calibrable (?) mod.

I have EZColor, and it's a nice package to do advanced-amateur/semi-pro grade calibration of printer, scanner and display.

The problem, however, is that since the X-Rite/Monaco merger it seems to be kind of orphaned. The only software update I've seen in 1.5 years (I think) was a patch release to add Vista support, and they only officially support 32-bit. Some people out there say it installs fine on 64-bit, including drivers for the DTP-94, but it simply refuses on my shiny new Vista Ultimate x64.

Eye One Match appears to be the "chosen one" resulting from the merger. Solely for the reason of not buying an orphaned product I'd go that way if those are your two choices.

Your talking about factory default settings are you ? Well doesn't the hardware calibrator suppose to fix that :confused: ? Brightness, color etc.

I'm using vista 64bit by the way ;)

Uh so does the calibrator help you make a ICM profile specifically for wide gamut if that is something your monitor supports ?

Also if you had a choice which would you pick, Eye-One Display 2 bundled with

1. Eye-One Match

2. EZcolor

I couldn't find a review comparison online :/

Is Colorbasic free :confused:

Back