Cabling and subwofers

natpond

Limp Gawd
Okay so this is two questions. firstly, i hear alot about how much difference cabling makes... what is a good speaker cabling brand for say.... $5 a foot (is that too low).

secondly, someone reccommended the SVS subwoofers to me... they seema bit pricey. im looking to drop probably 500-600 on my woofer, and i need mostly good omph for hiphop music and the like (for movies i need decent, but not the greatest reproduction) so my question is, what are a few good brands or even models to look at in that price range... and is there an SVS one in there?

FYI:
HK AVR 235
2x B&W 602 S3

thanks,
Nat

As far as cableing, brand doesn't matter, nore does how it's wrapped or anything. It's the guage that matter, larger diameter the better. I recommend 14 or 12 guage. Patch cables are sort of the same idea, there are a lot of gimicks. Spend like $20 on a patch cable and you're set. Is this for car or home?

Well if it's an HT setup, I ended up going with an Infinity PS-10, it's a 10" woofer, it's quite loud great SQ. I'm assuming their 12" wouldn't be much louder, but be able to play lower tones louder (good for hip hop). With this, I used a fiber cable from my HT receiver, so what are you using for a receiver?

i added it to my above post. HK AVR235. whats a fiber cable? fiberoptic?

Klipsch Reference Series....kick butt! couple of hundred bucks or so. :D Those 602s are sweet I have a pair for my living room. Use klipsch reference for my HT.

imo, it's hard to beat the svs or the hsu subs for the price... at least in the lower price range models... when you get into 4 digits instead of 3, the paradigms and velodynes of the world really begin to shine...

for flatline...

ummm... shielding most certainly DOES matter on patch cables...

another ummm... you used an optical cable to connect your subwoofer to your receiver??? really??? a cable than can only carry a digital signal is carrying an analog one???? perhaps you'd care to enlighten me as to how that might work? :confused:

ccotenj said:
imo, it's hard to beat the svs or the hsu subs for the price... at least in the lower price range models... when you get into 4 digits instead of 3, the paradigms and velodynes of the world really begin to shine...

for flatline...

ummm... shielding most certainly DOES matter on patch cables...

another ummm... you used an optical cable to connect your subwoofer to your receiver??? really??? a cable than can only carry a digital signal is carrying an analog one???? perhaps you'd care to enlighten me as to how that might work? :confused:

I didn't say shielding didn't matter with regards to patch cable, I just said or perhaps meant that you get to a certain point where it is a gimmick. An example would be patch cables made from UTP or CAT-5 cable. The properties of that CAT-5 that makes it cancel out noise, is negated in the use of a patch cable because you don't have 2 signals going down the wire.

On a patch cable the actual ground wire matters how much overlaps and goes around the wire. For example, if the ground wrapping has a greater overlap, it will shield noise out better.

I have yet to see a study on shielding of speaker wire that makes noticable difference, here gauge is the only thing that matters, and what the composition of the wire is, copper being the best.

As far as a fiberoptic cable to the sub, that was my mistake it's coaxial out from my receiver to the powered sub.

to the op...

$5/ft is WAY too much to spend on speaker wire... depending on your runs, any decently constructed 14 (or 12) gauge wire ought to do... this ought to do the job quite nicely... fwiw, the stuff you buy at home depot will probably do the job quite nicely as well (dons asbestos suit)...

for patch cables... buy "good ones"... see blue jeans cable for reasonably priced good cables... anything more than this is marketing voodoo...

ccotenj said:
to the op...

$5/ft is WAY too much to spend on speaker wire... depending on your runs, any decently constructed 14 (or 12) gauge wire ought to do... this ought to do the job quite nicely... fwiw, the stuff you buy at home depot will probably do the job quite nicely as well (dons asbestos suit)...

for patch cables... buy "good ones"... see blue jeans cable for reasonably priced good cables... anything more than this is marketing voodoo...

Def agreed.

systm did a very nice story on dispelling the myths of cable... http://revision3.com/systm ..... as for speaker cable get a decent gage and something with a pretty tight twist and you should be set... remeber though 90% of signal degregation is in the connections so be sure to make those nice and tight

Back