Cable modem latency?

dobbz

Limp Gawd
Do certain brands of cable modem provide less latency than others?

I just moved and had to get new service from Roadrunner. Even though I moved about five miles and have even higher upload bandwidth now, my ping times are almost doubled. My old modem with my old service at Charter had no brand or model, but this new one from Roadrunner is a Toshiba PCX1100U. Is it this modem causing the latency?

im not sure, but if there is any effect its going to be minimal. i've heard good things about motorolla surfboard modems.

The fact that you are using a different provider is probably the reason why your ping times have gone up. Also, you may have only moved five miles, but the difference in line quality could be large.

I dont really think the modem has as much to do with your latency as your ISP. Perhaps there are more people on your node now in your new place. It could also be that Roadrunner just sucks, which is what I think. I have Roadrunner too and I always get horrible latency eventhough according to bandwidth speed tests I have over 4 mbps most of the time. Actually, bandwidth and latency are two different things so eventhough you might have a lot of bandwidth you might have a high latency. But for cable service, I dont know how they manage to have such crappy pings. I just think Roadrunner blows hardcore, especially since sometimes our modem loses connectivity every 60 mins which is annoying as hell.

dobbz said:
Do certain brands of cable modem provide less latency than others?

I just moved and had to get new service from Roadrunner. Even though I moved about five miles and have even higher upload bandwidth now, my ping times are almost doubled. My old modem with my old service at Charter had no brand or model, but this new one from Roadrunner is a Toshiba PCX1100U. Is it this modem causing the latency?

I don't think it's the modem... rather your ISPs hardware infrastructure...

Yeah, I bet it's probably Roadrunner and their routes going from Birmingham, AL, then through Level3 pipes down in Tampa, FL adding ~60ms to my ping before heading out to the internet.

But my first hop (to my modem) is always 10-15ms. Shouldn't this be under 1ms?

well, generally relying solely on icmp ping is a bad thing, although it can be indicative of your problems.
so i agree with other that it will most probably be your isp and yes, ping to the modem should be <10ms unless there's some additional delay caused for example by firewall or such.

nope, because for cable connection everyone in your neighborhood uses the same line for the cable connection. since you moved. very little people in that area probably use cable connection. thats what i think because thats what Optimum Online does. and Optimum ONline is better then charter or Road Runner

Back