C300 vs Vertex 2 (240~256GB) for App/Games Drive

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
I basically have Revodrive x2, Vertex 2 and a C300 on its way - I will need to refuse/send back 1 of them.

I'm planning on using the Revodrive for my OS and major applications such as Office 2010, Photoshop, Anti-virus, Utilities (winrar, cuteftp, etc) IDE tools and etc. And a secondary SSD for all of the other applications and all of the games.

So for the secondary drive, which should I utilize? The C300 or Vertex2?

Do majority of the games (or apps) utilize un-compressible data or compressible ones?

Keep in mind that I paid $419 for the Vertex 2 and $525 for the C300.

Last edited:
C300 hands down. The smaller models of C300 are not fantastic (quite good) but the 256GB model is impressive, and its the absolutely the best SSD you can find atm.

Thanks. That's what I was leaning towards.
Just received the C300 yesterday, installed some games and so far so good.
I will be able to fully test it out once I receive my Revodrive in a day or two.

I would send back the Revodrive, using Silicon Image RAID drivers ruins this product.

You really think so? It seems that performance wise, it can't be beat.
Would appreciate it if you can elaborate a bit.

Below are the reasons I picked the Revox2 as my boot:

- PCI-E + Bootable
- On my Corsair 800D Case, I only have 4 slots available for drives. And since 3 of them are needed for storage, I only have 1 slot for an SSD - which is where the C300 is going (replacing my VRaptor). So my only option without sacrificing a storage drive was PCI-E.
- Great throughput, and good small file reads/writes.

Initially was planning on only the C300 as boot drive, but after careful consideration - it wouldn't be enough for the OS + all of my necessary programs (Adobe Suite, 3DSMax, Maya, etc) + all of my games. But since I don't have space for 2 SSDs, I had to get 1 SSD and 1 PCI-E.. Seems like the logical choice for me.

- On my Corsair 800D Case, I only have 4 slots available for drives. And since 3 of them are needed for storage, I only have 1 slot for an SSD - which is where the C300 is going (replacing my VRaptor). So my only option without sacrificing a storage drive was PCI-E.

The 800D has the 4 hot swaps + 2 more bays below. Unless you removed the bottom cage you shouldn't have a space issue.

I removed the bottom bays for a dual rad. Plus my 5 1/2" bays are filled up too, with a dual pump residing there.

RevodriveX2 has the best performance by far. You just need to use an 8x PCIE slot to make sure it's not bandwidth starved. Good boot drive. Only issue is TRIM support because technically it's an SSD RAID 0 drive. And the driver support isn't there yet for SSD TRIM in that configuration.

And kind of obvious but yeah the C300 is the best performing consumer SSD right now until next gen SSD controllers come out. So I'd def pick that one over the Vertex 2.

Thanks. That's exactly what I did. Just can't believe I spent over a grand for less than 500 gigs of hard drive space.

Last edited:
I can and I'm glad I didn't! LOL!

Yeah, that's why I held off on buying an SSD for so long. I just couldn't wait anymore. I've upgraded every component in my build, and it seemed ridiculous that the hard drives are holding them back more than ever.

Initially wanted to wait until next year for Intel's 25nm flash to be widespread, but just couldn't hold off on this any longer.

Below are the reasons I picked the Revox2 as my boot:

- PCI-E + Bootable
- Great throughput, and good small file reads/writes.

Initially was planning on only the C300 as boot drive, but after careful consideration - it wouldn't be enough for the OS + all of my necessary programs (Adobe Suite, 3DSMax, Maya, etc) + all of my games. But since I don't have space for 2 SSDs, I had to get 1 SSD and 1 PCI-E.. Seems like the logical choice for me.

You do know you can fit two SSDs into a single 3.5" bay, right? You can do it the "messy" way, or there are inexpensive adapters that will house two SSDs and mount to the 3.5" bay just like a desktop hard drive.

Yeah, that's why I held off on buying an SSD for so long. I just couldn't wait anymore.

I'm on my 9th SSD.

I need to drink everyday to try and forget how much I've spent! :rolleyes: LOL!

Any C300 owners here who got SATA III mobo?
Not I, but I've heard that some of the Gigabyte/Marvell SATA6 controllers have gotten firmware updates that make the connection better than the Asus SATA6 expansion boards.

I haven't seen any stats against an ICH10 chipset.

Has any one seen or played with the new OCZ, IBIS HSDL? I have heard that is is better and faster then the RevoDrive?

Back to your discussion, I would agree that the C300 is the better of the two that you have.

And kind of obvious but yeah the C300 is the best performing consumer SSD right now until next gen SSD controllers come out. So I'd def pick that one over the Vertex 2.

next gen? the c300 is the next generation.
i have a c300. i had an intel x25-m before, the c300 is about 20% faster imo.

Back