bypass 8pin power connection

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
i just got an MSI P6N SLI motherboard and it has an 8pin power connection on the board, and the power supply i got for it (thermaltake tr2) does not have that. i know i can get the adapter from newegg but i don't really want to wait until thursday. any way i can use the 4pin on this? like plug it in to one half of it or something. i remember someone saying you can use a 20pin atx main power in a 24pin slot if it's oriented correctly, hoping i can do the same thing. thx.

You can use 4 pins on a core 2 duo easy; the 8 pins, I'm told, is more for quad., or the very highest end C2D's (extreme).

But if you mean the main plug, I thing you need a 24-pin.

yeah the PSU i have has the 24pin so that's fine. i'm using an E2140 dual core. the motherboard has a plastic thing blocking half of the 8 pin, so it is possible the 4 pin will just fit in there, just don't know if it will fry the board or what

If the motherboard has four of the pins blocked, it means the putting a four-pin power plug in the other half is considered perfectly normal.

I haven't looked recently at what CPUs require the 8 pin, but I suspect it is far fewer than many unsubstantiated rumours claim.

Michael is correct.

However, I bet $10 the manual/installation guide tells you exactly what to do and not do with that connection.

Thermaltake TR2... what vidcard are you planning on using? The TR2 is not suitable for an SLI setup (you do have an SLI board), so I'm just wondering what you plan to power off of that mediocre PSU.

thanks for the feedback, just gonna put it together with the 4pin tonight. i do not plan on using sli/crossfire, and my card is sort of old i guess? x1600pro

thanks for the feedback, just gonna put it together with the 4pin tonight. i do not plan on using sli/crossfire, and my card is sort of old i guess? x1600pro

Yah, that card won't stress that PSU. Just know that if you upgrade the card to something more power hungry, you should also upgrade the PSU.

i was reading through the manual and it says that the 8pin connection provides power for the CPU. since i'm only going to use the 4pin connector, and overclocking a bit is in the middle/front of my mind, how much danger is there to fry the CPU due to any kind of lack of power. i'm not looking for 100% OC but perhaps bringing it up to 2.0 or 2.2 from 1.6 (e2140)

i was reading through the manual and it says that the 8pin connection provides power for the CPU. since i'm only going to use the 4pin connector, and overclocking a bit is in the middle/front of my mind, how much danger is there to fry the CPU due to any kind of lack of power. i'm not looking for 100% OC but perhaps bringing it up to 2.0 or 2.2 from 1.6 (e2140)

You'll be fine with the 4pin. The 8pin is just an extension of the 4pin to provide more stability, but I OC'd fine with just the 4pin on my P6N SLI-FI. I reached 3.2Ghz with my E6400, but didnt go further because the NB was HOT!!

Back