Buying X58

libertyl

Limp Gawd
I need to put together a system with this chipset. Anyone have any experience they can help me with on the most reliable (not neccessarily the most features)

Right now I am running the EVGA x58 and that has been really reliable. The only issues I am having is ram problems. I need to talk to OCZ.

the asus P6T (non-deluxe) has been good to me so far. picked it up for $220 and it was a bargain. I'd even take it over the deluxe because it offers tri-sli, whereas the deluxe doesn't

the asus P6T (non-deluxe) has been good to me so far. picked it up for $220 and it was a bargain. I'd even take it over the deluxe because it offers tri-sli, whereas the deluxe doesn't

+1

Using the same board here for 2 weeks and I have had zero problems with it.

Still spamming to get your post count up, eh? Good for that database dump earlier this week...removed your ban. Only 3 posts to go until you can finally post in the FS/FT forums! GOGOGO

I live in Illinois and bought the P6T non deluxe from microcenter and three times it was defective. First one had two bad RAM slots, Second one had one bad slot. Third didnt post. At this point i was pretty dissapointed at ASUS. Ive been using them almost exclusively since 2000 (A7M AMD 750). Went back and returned and got the EVGA cause it was the only other one they had. It worked, too bad it didnt have the legacy MB holes for LGA775 Heatsinks so my Lionsquare didnt fit. Thermalright 120 TRUE Copper made me feel a little better but also poorer.
for the record
Corei7 920: $239.99
Asus P6T non deluxe: $249.99
EVGA X58: $299.99
Corsair XMS3 1600 6GB triple channel: $169.99

hes right, dont dick around and get an asus. get the evga, or if you dont want to go for the 3 bills, get the dfi dk for around $250.

hes right, dont dick around and get an asus. get the evga, or if you dont want to go for the 3 bills, get the dfi dk for around $250.

I have the Asus P6t dlx.....it's stable but:rolleyes:......there's just something missing... SLI works great in both xp and Vista, 4 cores and h/t is all v nice but:rolleyes:......TBH my previous setup - EVGA 790i/e8400>1.65volts on the ddr allowed:cool: - was more fun..;) - to 'load' windoze took a blink,(but):rolleyes: now I sit here looking at the splash screen for 30 secs or so....well @least 20:confused:. Make of that what you will, it's new tech and still needs(bios' and a few more bios')a lot of work but:rolleyes:..bit too much bling on the dlx board IMHO...
These are pretty minor things but:rolleyes: TBH, they are the kinds of things that can tend to shit a person after a while, as do me..GL;););)

The 1 other thing about the p6t dlx to make 1 wonder - Y is there a V2 board advertised?:(:(:(:(

Personally, I've never had a problem with Asus Intel boards. AFAIK, the v2 boards were only to remove the SAS controller as there was an issue when using a SAS array and SATA array or something like that (you'd think they would have found that testing the board though).

That Gigabyte board is pretty cheap if you're looking for a bargain basement board. With the price of memory coming down under $150 for 6GB and boards under $200, I might end up with an i7 system here sooner than later.

105843672_1dfe6cbaac_o.jpg

I JUST built my i7 - I got the MSI Plat SLI x58 - first one had broken pins on chipset heatsink - returned to store, got another same thing - returned to store - got the Asus P6T non dlx -

perfect - running rock solid

system is as follow

Core I7 2.66 @ 3.8
Asus P6T
3 GB Corsair 1600 ddr3
2x raptor 74 GB ( old school 10000rpm lol)
saph 4870
pc power and cooling quad 750 sliencer.

I have the Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD4P, it seems rock solid, haven't had any issues. I'm not a big OC'er so I am happy with my system.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R 184.99 @Microcenter. What I have and since I never plan on running SLI I do not need those other high priced boards. Has my i7 920 purring along at 3.8 GHZ for 24/7 use.

^^ that's a helluva a deal on a great board.. if you don't plan on SLI it's a super option!

I got the EVGA X58.
I like it. It has been very easy to use and just plain worked right out of the box.

I have heard good things (as always) about the Gigabyte X58-UD5 board as well.

I have had a bunch of ASUS boards in the past, but their nvidia chipset boards (700 series) were real poor, so I tried something else this time and the evga seems to have been a good choice.
Plus it had the arrangement of slots and extras that fix my needs.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R 184.99 @Microcenter. What I have and since I never plan on running SLI I do not need those other high priced boards. Has my i7 920 purring along at 3.8 GHZ for 24/7 use.

yeah I was seriously considering that till I saw it was 209 with a 20 rebate lol...I hate rebates. I never send em in.

that one only has 4 ram slots right?

yeah I was seriously considering that till I saw it was 209 with a 20 rebate lol...I hate rebates. I never send em in.

It was 184.99 instore. I did not bother with the rebate. And yes it's the one with 4 memory slots.

Yes, I believe that's the one with only 4 slots, although, I could be wrong seeing as there are at least 4 Gigabyte X58 boards (that I know of).

I am running the following:
EVGA 3X SLI -
920 @3.8 -- see notes below
3 GTX 260s
3 640Gb HDDs RAID 5
2 1Tb Drives
Corsair 1KW

I also used the Asus P6T Deluxe. Both motherboards were solid. The Asus provided better overclocking. I had that 920 above at ~4.2 but it would clock itself down for heat reasons - and now it won't clock over 3.8 in the EVGA board.

I would recommend either.

Yup, only 4 memory slots. And I could care less. By the time 6Gb of DDR3 starts feeling small, 4Gb DDR3 should be common and much cheaper. No SLI, no 6 sticks of ram. That's all you give up. Considering I have an ATI graphics card, SLI is a non-starter for me, and I cannot imagine needing more then 6Gb for the lifetime of this motherboard (2 years max for me).

Back