Buying new HHD for my 360 a few questions

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
well my local future shop has 60GB 360 drives for sale for 110 120GB for 160, even though its much more than a standard notebook drive but with game installs coming i would like more space because i am always running around 6-9GB of free space on my 20GB. now i know they have a transition system to migrate any purchased content after the upgrade, but what about my saved games? i don't want to lose my NHL 09 season plus other saved games, acheivments ect.....

so how do i back up that stuff, it would be nice if MS had back up utility like on my PS3.

anyways thnx in advance.

Mac[X-D];1033277763 said:
well my local future shop has 60GB 360 drives for sale for 110 120GB for 160, even though its much more than a standard notebook drive but with game installs coming i would like more space because i am always running around 6-9GB of free space on my 20GB. now i know they have a transition system to migrate any purchased content after the upgrade, but what about my saved games? i don't want to lose my NHL 09 season plus other saved games, acheivments ect.....

so how do i back up that stuff, it would be nice if MS had back up utility like on my PS3.

anyways thnx in advance.

You need a Migration Kit (http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/MigrationKit-OrderForm.pdf). I don't know how and if you can get it other than having 2 consoles or ebay/craigslist.

i just looked at the 360 site and it states that the new drive has a migration kit with it and transfer all your data not just your purchased content.

sorry for wasting anyone's time,

Yeah, wasn't the transfer cable (or Migration Kit) for those who purchased an Elite 360, and wanted to move their data from an old Premium/Pro model? The 120 gig hard drive comes with that cable in the packaging... or at least it did. I'm not sure about the 60s.

Yeah, wasn't the transfer cable (or Migration Kit) for those who purchased an Elite 360, and wanted to move their data from an old Premium/Pro model? The 120 gig hard drive comes with that cable in the packaging... or at least it did. I'm not sure about the 60s.

Just got a 120 from Circuit City and it had the cable and disc, but I'm with you in that I dunno about the 60. Pretty easy migration, plug one end of the cable into the Xbox, the other into the new drive, pop the disc in, and wait about an hour. Done! New drive is ready to go with all of your old stuff on it.

BTW OP, the 120GB was $140 at CC. If you're thinking about spending $110 for a 60GB drive, pony up the extra 30 bucks (or less if you can find a coupon) for twice the size.

I got an Elite a few months ago and had to mail away for the migration kit. I just faxed over the application and it showed up 4 days later. Supposedly it only works once per system, so if MS ever ends up charging for them, I'd happily give mine away.
It ends up doing a low-level ghost of your old hard drive, so you'll even retain partial downloads you started.
It's a pretty cool feature as my transition was seemless. All of my saves/configs/etc. were ported over with no issues.

just got home with Gears 2 Special Edition and a new 120GB drive, yea the 60 didn't have any migration software or cable and i didn't want to have to wait so i bought the 120, transferring data as i write about 45 minuets to go.

it is kind of dumb that the 60GB doesn't come it but it comes with 3 months XBL gold.

If I remember correctly there is one issue with the migration kit. I thought I read somewhere that it will migrate everything BUT purchased video content.

i think microsoft had a 60gb 100 dollar deal, came with headset cables ethernet and 3 month live. Forgot where i saw it though.

EDIT http://www.buy.com/prod/Xbox-360-Live-60GB-Starter-Pack/q/loc/108/209761135.html

yea thats the ones futureshop have for 109 CND

If I remember correctly there is one issue with the migration kit. I thought I read somewhere that it will migrate everything BUT purchased video content.

i never had any purchased movies so i can't say but other then that it migrated everything perfectly.

Back