Buyer trying to extort me a YEAR after a sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
Yesterday I was contacted by a user claiming I ripped him off (A YEAR AGO!) because he says a 6950 wont unlock to 6970 (Keep in mind, this isnt even something they are SUPPOSED to do).. I went through our email chain and found a note that I unlocked it at his request before I shipped it.

I know you are never supposed to go full retard, but is there something about this im missing?

He's threatening to leave me negative heat and essentially smear me on [H] (Which if he does I hope he's banned for it), but I offered to give him 60$ (To buy it back because I could use it) for it which is half of what he paid.

I'm not on [H] as much as I used to be, but is there some new stupid extortion scam I need to be aware of before handing this guys ass to him?

Last edited:
I'd refund nothing and tell him to go pound sand.

If negative heat is left, Heatware will see through this BS and remove if he leave some, right?

I don't use heat but I would think that if they didn't remove something like this, what is the point of their service? If neg feedback was left on this based on something over a year ago, might as well toss out the validity of heat. You may have to explain but you should be able to do that without issue. Sounds like some lame ass member on this forum. Why on earth would you offer to refund half his purchase price a year later? Something doesn't add up.

I could use another video card, and due to BTC cards like the 6950 are impossible to get without spending a fortune.. I don't mind buying it back if he's not happy, I'm just trying to make sure there isnt some crazy new extortion scam Im not aware of.. Never had anything this stupid come up before

+2 for pound sand from me.

"People are crazy and times are strange." ;)

I'm assuming this deal happened here and that's why we are discussing it here....A link to the original sale would be nice along with an invitation to the buyer so that he can weigh in with his reasoning.

if I had to make a judgement based on just what is posted here, I would say something does not sound right...complaining about a product a year after the sale seems a bit extreme. ..I would really love to get both sides of this story

So you are getting the emails exactly a year later? Since you said yourself you don't come on [H] much. I was wondering if he sent them earlier and you just now seen them since you aren't on here much.

Not taking the buyers side or your side. Just not enough information on the subject to pass opinions at this point. Plus no one here even knows what you sold the guy or what even went on. Post the link to the thread and then we can start figuring out what happened.

Yes, it happened here.. Bosom has original link correct... PM'ing buyer to link here.

Was trying to avoid pulling names into this until I knew this wasnt some crazy scam or something.

Im wondering why you would even offer him $60 back a year later.

If you are offering $60 to him now, I can only assume there is something not being said in your OP and there is another side to this story.

I could use another video card, and due to BTC cards like the 6950 are impossible to get without spending a fortune.. I don't mind buying it back if he's not happy, I'm just trying to make sure there isnt some crazy new extortion scam Im not aware of.. Never had anything this stupid come up before

I wouldnt deal with him. A year later? is pretty crazy. No one has a return policy remotely that good and secondly that 6950 went way up in value since he bought it. If anything he should pay you extra.

Its a YEAR later and hes trying to do something the card isn't MADE to do. If you were able to do it before you sent it to him, I'd say that's a kindness and should be left at that, if he can't do it, he should not be chasing after you a year later.

+1, again, POUND SAND!

After negative heat is left, inform heatware of the negative feedback with a link to here, it will be removed.

The original thread is pretty bland now. nothing was even mentioned of the 6950 , except it was sold. I assume all the other information was through pms between you and him.

If it is a year later. why would you offer a $60 refund. I like to hear this part myself.

P.S. About the heatware part. I'm not sure he can edit it after a year later. But then I haven't had to edit something in that time frame though. The "pound sand' is getting old now.....

Sounds like he's been mining on it and it finally shit the bed. Guess what, he made his money off it probably multiple times over. It's not your problem at this point.

Here are the last few communications up to the sale, and then the ones from last night/today

Well, I took a stab at unlocking my non-reference Sapphire and had no luck, so I can attempt the reference tomorrow if youd like to know if it unlocks to a 6970.

But as far as the offer goes.. You tell me what you were looking to spend or if you have anything in my trade list and we'll talk.

Here is the non-reference
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102945

-Evil J

---Quote (Originally by Evil Juggalo)---
The Asus 6950 Unlocked perfectly fine, benchmarked with 3D mark vantage without error.

Still good with 120$ shipped?
Paypal = [email protected]

(Let me know soon because I have others lined up for this card)

-Evil J

Beyond this, I have no proof of serial # of what I sold so there is no way to prove what card he has is the one I sold.

*** 1 YEAR LATER ***
(Special wooshy effects)

PM's Received

ssjsongoku03
hello the card you sold me about a year ago wasnt the card i asked for, i asked for a 6950 able to be unlocked, you sold me a laser cut card, i asked you if you unlocked the card and you said yes.

ssjsongoku03
thx for ripping me off guy, i'm going to have to report this through heatware or hf if this doesnt get sorted out.

I didnt offer him a 60$ refund, I offered to buy it back for 60$ if it still worked.

I have long standing good feedback and the only negative I have is a guy who blames me for Xmas package traffic which HEAT wont remove..
I dont want any more crap like this on my feedback, so Id rather make it right if possible.. Its just ridiculous.

Also, if I remember correctly, wasnt it determined that anyone complaining of a "Laser cut card" had no idea what they were talking about.. I vaguely remember this coming up in then DistribCom bitcoin threads.. It was just the best explanation for people that couldnt unlock cards..

Last edited:
Honestly... a year later? I wouldnt even refund him anything.

For all you know, he couldve switched the cards out (playing devils advocate here). Plus, if he requested an unlocked card, then he should have checked it the moment he got it if it was unlocked, not wait a year.

I purchased a 680 from a seller who had two, and I requested the one with the longer warranty left (it was about 4 months longer than the other one), but he accidentally sent me the wrong one and already sold the other one so I couldnt get the one I requested. I knew it was an honest mistake, and let it go.

Every trader should know that overclocks, unlocks, and anything that happens after the purchase is YMMV. Even if you got it to unlock and he couldnt, it should not matter. Its like if I sold my 2600k that I have at 4.9ghz and the buyer can only get 4.6ghz out of it.

Its a fucking year later. This guy is off his rocker.

Wow. After this thread, I've seen everything. A year after purchase, and he feels he's ripped off? When in the last year did he start to feel this way? :D

Im confused did the OP have a different Username? Anyways, besides a negative heat what type of resolution can the buyer use to meet his or her needs.
-PayPal buyer protection was 60 days (old) at the time of sale. So thats a dead end street.
-Threat of negative feedback is extortion, and baseless if at the time of sale, unless both parties stated their was some sort of warranty or return policy with a set time period (in this case 1 year).
-Offering $60 is a no go. First why the offer? Second do you have any proof or records for the card that was exchanged? If not, who knows the condition that the card the buyer is going to return? You may pay for a dud?

just my 2 cents

Im the buyer. yes it is a year later in reference to the 6950 (supposedly unlocked).

its an easy transaction guy.

I asked you personally if the card was unlocked, you said yes, I take your word for it.

I tried gpu-z myself about a month after i bought it, i saw the shader count said 1536, but all the other specs( texture fill, pixel fill, etc were all basic 6950 not 6970 unlocked, i thought nothing of it at the time, thinking i still had an unlocked card).

you knew this and sold me the card anyway, again its an easy unlock, i have a gpu-z screenshot if anyone wants it, he knew the card was laser cut or maybe he didnt,

i dont know exactly what he did to get gpu-z to show 1536 shaders instead of the 1408 6950's are suppose to have but about a year after the fact i check gpu-z again and what do you know 1408 shaders.

I atiwinflash my card usign 3 seperate 6970 bios's, they're all successful flashes but still the shaders and gpu z show a 6950 spec'd card. the card was never unlocked. its basically a scam.

the cards either laser cut or unflashable to a 6970 bios.yes it was a year since i bought the card, but again I saw a 1536 shader cut on gpu-z as soon as i bought it, as soon as i saw the texture and pixel fill rates were still 6950 spec'd i should have asked for a return.

Hey man im not a prick buyer, in fact i've bought plenty over ebay, hf, anandtech, and have been satisfied for the most part... but this isnt what i asked for, i bought this card thinking i bought a unlocked 6950 to 6970, you sold me an item that i didnt want or not working as it should.

There's no excuse to wait this long to seek a return. None.

Wow. After this thread, I've seen everything. A year after purchase, and he feels he's ripped off? When in the last year did he start to feel this way? :D

Your all missing one big point here, during the year gpu-z showed a shader count of 1536 but a texture and pixel fill rate that of a 6950. now a year later i dont even have the shader count of 1536, i have 1408, which could mean i never bought an unlocked card in the first place and the entire sale was a dud.

There's no excuse to wait this long to seek a return. None.

unless you fail at reading comprehension, yes there is. Ive told you everything, i wouldnt ask for a return like this, im not a shitty buyer. I just want what i paid for like everyone else.

unless you fail at reading comprehension, yes there is. Ive told you everything, i wouldnt ask for a return like this, im not a shitty buyer. I just want what i paid for like everyone else.

And YOU seem to miss the point that this would have been fine, if you had approached the selling 30-60 days after receiving the card. Not 365+

Go pound sand dude. You waited a whole year to complain about this?

Well what do you want me to do guy? If all seems well with a component why would i snoop around? the problem only showed itself after a year or so.

Well what do you want me to do guy? If all seems well with a component why would i snoop around? the problem only showed itself after a year or so.

For all we know, you fucked with it, burned a component, and now you lost shaders. What is the card that he sold you specifically since there are many ASUS variations of the 6950.

I didnt wait a year, the problem presented itself after such time.most warrenty's under manufactureres are around a year at least, should we forget about those as well.

I didnt wait a year, the problem presented itself after such time.most warrenty's under manufactureres are around a year at least, should we forget about those as well.
He's not a manufacturer. You bought a used card which YMMV. Was the card defective on arrival and working to your expectations for a year? The answer seems to be: No the card wasn't defective, the card worked to your expectations. It's not his fault that you didn't discover the possible discrepancy right when you got the card.

Also i think everyones missing a big point here, prior to the sale I think this guy knew he sold me a card that wouldnt work like we agreed it should have.

Heatware won't remove heat nor is that site still being updated/monitored (to my knowledge). Unless you know the man who owns/runs heatware you're out of luck if any prick leaves you negative heat over something false. I have a negative heat from a sale I made with a guy that had poor english but high heat. That was in 2012, and heatware has never gave me a response even with the proof i've showed them.

OP, don't be nice and offer to buy it back. Buyer is retarded if he thinks he can get you to refund him the whole price after a year in his possession/use. x999 on pound sand.

Buyer probably wants to upgrade GPU and thought this was an easy way to re-coupe some cash to do so - Or he some how eff'd it up and wants to get his money back by using "it doesn't unlock" as an excuse.

Buyer bought a card that came from factory as a 6950, unlocking it isn't 100% guaranteed to work. We all know that EXCEPT YOU.

It's been a year, you didn't get 1 year warranty from the seller when you bought it bud, move along.

Also i think everyones missing a big point here, prior to the sale I think this guy knew he sold me a card that wouldnt work like we agreed it should have.
And you seem to be missing the entire point here. You brought this up a YEAR after the sale. Did you rub your dick on the card a year to give it a little love after mining bitcoins for you?

I didnt work to my expectations, thats the point, not discover the discrepency, the bios could have been tampered with for all i know. Showing 6970 shaders with 6950 specs for a year could in some eyes be seen as faulty.

It took a whole year for you to process this? Pound sand.

I didnt work to my expectations, thats the point, not discover the discrepency, the bios could have been tampered with for all i know. Showing 6970 shaders with 6950 specs for a year could in some eyes be seen as faulty.

Who else in here that has posted agree's with you that it's okay to ask for a refund? :confused:

Heatware won't remove heat nor is that site still being updated/monitored (to my knowledge). Unless you know the man who owns/runs heatware you're out of luck if any prick leaves you negative heat over something false. I have a negative heat from a sale I made with a guy that had poor english but high heat. That was in 2012, and heatware has never gave me a response even with the proof i've showed them.

OP, don't be nice and offer to buy it back. Buyer is retarded if he thinks he can get you to refund him the whole price after a year in his possession/use. x999 on pound sand.

Buyer probably wants to upgrade GPU and thought this was an easy way to re-coupe some cash to do so - Or he some how eff'd it up and wants to get his money back by using "it doesn't unlock" as an excuse.

Buyer bought a card that came from factory as a 6950, unlocking it isn't 100% guaranteed to work. We all know that EXCEPT YOU.

It's been a year, you didn't get 1 year warranty from the seller when you bought it bud, move along.

nonononono i did want to upgrade thats why i was looking into my card, but i wouldnt delude myself into thinking i could recant a year old transaction if i feel i didnt have some case here. Plus he told me he unlocked the card prior to me buying dude. i wont move until i damn well and ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back