Buy parts one at a time or all at once ?

leoftw

Gawd
I had actually bought some crucial ballistix 800's today and canceled my order because it didn't feel right not having all the parts at the same time.

Do you buy parts one at a time or all at once ?

I bought my desktop parts in separate chunks. Simply because I didn't have enough money at the time for the final total cost. Otherwise I would have bought it all together, nothing like the UPS guy dropping off 5+ boxes at your front door :D

When I did my first build a few years ago I bought as much as I could at once, but also bought from multiple places so it ended up still being awhile until all the parts arrived.

I now like to order a part when I can or know I am going to use it, because if I wait then I will see something else slightly better and then want to wait for it, etc. Though if you are going to be buying over a long period of time it might be best to just wait until you save up a bit.

I bought my current PC in multiple chunks. Saved myself about $200 that way.

I bought my current PC in multiple chunks. Saved myself about $200 that way.

Ditto. I watched the hot deals sites for a month or two and probably saved about the same cost. I was able to get a DVD burner free after rebate, free shipping on a case and some other discounts that added up quickly.

Don't major sites like Newegg ship things separately anyway if purchase a lot? Though maybe you get an overall better shipping rate.

Generally speaking, to ensure the lowest possible price, you need to buy all the major parts at once (cpu, mobo, ram, video, etc). The other components like dvd-rw and sound card typically have a steady price.

RAM has a volatile price, so if you see a good deal (like the Ballistix for $60, no rebate, from buy.com), go for it. If you're not in a hurry, cash in on deals like that and you'll save a pretty penny. If you're in need of a system rather immediately, buy it all at once.

Back