Buy now or wait 3-4 months for Maxwell?

Miltos2304

Limp Gawd
Hello guys,

I want a new video card for my new build (see description).

My question is if is a wise move to buy now this Asus GTX 770 or wait 3-4 months for Maxwell ?

If i buy now my budget is 250 pounds. In 3-4 months time i can spend 350-400 even 450 pounds.

If their is a card out their that is much faster that my gtx570 and its under 200 pounds i would buy it.

Now i game with a gtx 570 . Games i play are Bf4.Cod ghosts and cant wait for the new games like watchdogs...etc. And i like play ultra details on 1920x1200 resolution.

What is your advise guys? Feel free to recommend me an AMD also.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
570 to 770 would not be a 'massive' upgrade.

I went from 570 to a 780 last month and it was absolutely worth it. The 780 @ 1080p is just enough to have the FPS hover between 70-90 and spiking in the 100s running Ultra, 120% scaling.

If you can't afford a 780 now you should wait for the next release. At the very least you'll be able to get a 7XX series even cheaper than they are now. Considering AMD I still say wait for the next cycle and evaluate the field then.

Don't expect Maxwell until late summer at earliest.

TSMC is running seriously behind on its 20nm fabs.

Hello guys,

I want a new video card for my new build (see description).

My question is if is a wise move to buy now this Asus GTX 770 or wait 3-4 months for Maxwell ?

If i buy now my budget is 250 pounds. In 3-4 months time i can spend 350-400 even 450 pounds.

If their is a card out their that is much faster that my gtx570 and its under 200 pounds i would buy it.

Now i game with a gtx 570 . Games i play are Bf4.Cod ghosts and cant wait for the new games like watchdogs...etc. And i like play ultra details on 1920x1200 resolution.

What is your advise guys? Feel free to recommend me an AMD also.
Same boat.
Watching for sales, will snatch something up if I see an amazing deal. Otherwise, Maxwell or Hawaii 2.0 (hopefully).

Still mad I missed all the sales in December. GTX 780 for $420 sounds good right now, not gonna hold my breath though.

High end Maxwell cards won't be out until 4q, so that's close to a year not 3-4 months. Maybe for mid range cards, but I don't see the GTX 880 or 880ti out until November at the earliest.

I'd wait unless that card is extremely struggling at the games you play. If you get evga, you have the chance to step up if maxwell release in the 90 day window.

Wait a bit for more solid news on maxwell....hopefully after is week, CES

I always find waiting to be pointless; there will always be something better just around the corner. Buy a new video card now and you can spend the next 3-6+ months actually enjoying yourself instead of just tapping your toe and waiting.

However, I have a hard time recommending a GTX 770 since its current price to performance ratio is sub par compared to a GTX 760 or a discounted GTX 780 like we've seen in the past month or so. If you do purchase a GTX 770 though, you won't regret it since it still performs very well. Personally, this is one of the reasons I love EVGA's Step Up Program: if a newer card comes out in 90 days, you feel like upgrading because you don't have enough power, or your budget grows then you can simply just buy the new card, send back your current card and only pay the difference.

High end Maxwell cards won't be out until 4q, so that's close to a year not 3-4 months. Maybe for mid range cards, but I don't see the GTX 880 or 880ti out until November at the earliest.
So where does that put the Maxwell cards this Spring?
GTX 760/770 performance?

I always find waiting to be pointless; there will always be something better just around the corner. Buy a new video card now and you can spend the next 3-6+ months actually enjoying yourself instead of just tapping your toe and waiting.

I waited 2 months and saved $240 on a 780.

I would say that waiting is absolutely worth it under the right circumstances. With CES going on and an Nvidia refresh likely around the corner I would say now is a good time to be patient.

I waited 2 months and saved $240 on a 780.

I would say that waiting is absolutely worth it under the right circumstances. With CES going on and an Nvidia refresh likely around the corner I would say now is a good time to be patient.

Yea and if you keep on waiting then you'll be able to get a GTX 780 for even cheaper *shocker*, just like nearly every other product that goes through price cuts and depreciates in price over time. :rolleyes:

Have fun for those who are waiting, for who knows how long, while I actually enjoy my time utilizing my card. Once more information about Maxwell rolls out then I'll sell my GTX 780 right before the new cards release and only pay the difference...

With hardware, or actually technology in general, its almost always pointless to wait unless you know the release date of something and it is very soon (to avoid delays and waiting even longer). With Maxwell we don't have any solid release date information and hardly any general information about the cards. Maybe there are some people out there who enjoy twiddling their thumbs while waiting more than actually purchasing a new card and utilizing it to its fullest potential. More power to them.

Yea and if you keep on waiting then you'll be able to get a GTX 780 for even cheaper *shocker*, just like nearly every other product that goes through price cuts and depreciates in price over time. :rolleyes:

Have fun for those who are waiting, for who knows how long, while I actually enjoy my time utilizing my card. Once more information about Maxwell rolls out then I'll sell my GTX 780 right before the new cards release and only pay the difference...

I'm not seeing the logic behind your argument. My saving $240 was due to waiting a few weeks and timing my purchase appropriately. Had I not waited I would have suffered the largest loss in value that the 7XX series is likely to experience. Anyone with 1/2 a brain and a bit of patience knew that something was going to happen when the Hawaii chips dropped. Not waiting would have been foolish.

With hardware, or actually technology in general, its almost always pointless to wait unless you know the release date of something and it is very soon (to avoid delays and waiting even longer). With Maxwell we don't have any solid release date information and hardly any general information about the cards. Maybe there are some people out there who enjoy twiddling their thumbs while waiting more than actually purchasing a new card and utilizing it to its fullest potential. More power to them.

CES is happening now and end on the 10th. There are plenty of rumors floating around that make waiting a few days for new information more than worth it. Is it not possible that we could see another price drop with the rumored 790? Is it possible that Nvidia announces a refresh and the existing 7XX series drops again?

I'd call this a perfect example of a situation where waiting a bit would be advantageous.

I'm not seeing the logic behind your argument. My saving $240 was due to waiting a few weeks and timing my purchase appropriately. Had I not waited I would have suffered the largest loss in value that the 7XX series is likely to experience. Anyone with 1/2 a brain and a bit of patience knew that something was going to happen when the Hawaii chips dropped. Not waiting would have been foolish.

CES is happening now and end on the 10th. There are plenty of rumors floating around that make waiting a few days for new information more than worth it. Is it not possible that we could see another price drop with the rumored 790? Is it possible that Nvidia announces a refresh and the existing 7XX series drops again?

I'd call this a perfect example of a situation where waiting a bit would be advantageous.

You completely ignored a key part of my argument so please keep your "half-brain" antics to yourself...

exlink said:
With hardware, or actually technology in general, its almost always pointless to wait unless you know the release date of something and it is very soon (to avoid delays and waiting even longer).

We knew Hawaii was going to release soon and a price drop from Nvidia was imminent. We know nothing solid about Maxwell's release date thus waiting for it is pointless. Nvidia already had their press conference at CES and they did not mention Maxwell at all, it was almost entirely devoted to their new Tegra K1 chip.

Am I saying that waiting till CES is over is pointless? No. :rolleyes: But prolonged waiting if we hear nothing about it would be IMO.

WOW. I went to get something to eat and i found 14 replies :). Thanks for the responses.

I see many people on the same boat as me. Confused.
Since my gtx 570 rocks in games. (ok,in bf4 ultra details i have some problems, in 64 player map, also in cod ghost under all extra details) but in the most games i play just fine.

I dont see any games that will kneel my 570 any time soon (i might be wrong, Watchdogs? )

I will raise some money first till march then ill decide what to do. I always target the top 3 fastest card available. In this case because i just build a new system i told my self to hold on fot the gpu.

Lets see the news on Maxwell first and the price drops in the upcoming few months.

I dont see any games that will kneel my 570 any time soon (i might be wrong, Watchdogs? )

What resolution do you play on? Just curious to this statement because I know when I had my GTX 570 almost 2yrs ago many games were killing it.

What resolution do you play on? Just curious to this statement because I know when I had my GTX 570 almost 2yrs ago many games were killing it.

I have a 580 SC and run at 1440p and most new games eat it alive. But if the OP is running 1080p I could see.

I ran my 570 at 1080p and games still ate it up however I do like to turn up the settings so normally once I see I can't get all the eye candy it's time to upgrade, I remember Witcher 2 and Crysis 2 killing the 570. I went from a GTX 570 to GTX 660TI SLI to GTX 680 SLI and the 680 SLI still kills anything game or single card out there and will for some time still, maybe an 880/880TI will be equal

I said it elsewhere earlier and I'll say it again: only the most optimistic fanboys are saying April for Maxwell. Nvidia hasn't even finished releasing the 700 series yet. Q3 or Q4 is much more realistic.

I said it elsewhere earlier and I'll say it again: only the most optimistic fanboys are saying April for Maxwell. Nvidia hasn't even finished releasing the 700 series yet. Q3 or Q4 is much more realistic.

Nvidia never said anything about releasing anything other than the cards they have now. They said from launch day it would only be the 760, 770, and 780. The rest is and always has been speculation with a surprise 780 Ti that was on tap just in case. They finished releasing the 700 Series as they intended. Anything else is just to counter AMD at this point.

i game on 1920x1200. I play all games on highest settings possible. Some times if the fps drop below 35-30 i disable AA and soft shadows.

The model i have is Gigabyte superoverclocked gtx 570

Assasin creed black flag - Ultra details except AA. (never go below 35)
Crysis 3 - Ultra details.Disable AA - 35-45 fps (sometimes drop to 27 ,in rare occations)
Battlefield 4 - Ultra details,disable AA ( campaign is arround 50fps average) low 30 sometimes. 64 player map around 35-45 (low 25)

Battlefield 3 - around 50-60fps 64 player map.low 30 under heave action.

Games like outlast - ultra details. around 60fps
COD Ghosts - When in unltra details and all textures are in EXTRA i drop below 25. Its the only game that kneel my 570gtx. ANd bf4 dont. Dont know why is that. I have to disable AA soft shadows and textures from extra to hight.:confused:

I ran my 570 at 1080p and games still ate it up however I do like to turn up the settings so normally once I see I can't get all the eye candy it's time to upgrade, I remember Witcher 2 and Crysis 2 killing the 570. I went from a GTX 570 to GTX 660TI SLI to GTX 680 SLI and the 680 SLI still kills anything game or single card out there and will for some time still, maybe an 880/880TI will be equal

Really? Crysis 2 eat the 570 alive at 1080p? I played that game at Very hight without AA and it was playable at average 40fps. Very rarely dropped to 30 fps.

What score you have in Valley benchmark (ultra settings,4x AA). I get 1600.

Btw. I have not yet overcloced my CPU. Is 3.5ghz with turbo boost at 3.9.
My ram is 1866mhz cl9

With Witcher 2 I had a lot of problem when i had the settings at highest possible. And that because of 1 specific serting. Something for texture i dont remember now how it is called. I turned that off and AA off and the game was playable again over 30fps.

Now, i know many guys dont think that game is playable at 30-40fps but for me it is just fine. I know 60fps+ its better but really,its not that much of a difference for me.

A mistake i made earlier is that Crysis 3 runs average 30fps when in ultra settings 1920x1200 and AA disable. Sometimes drops around 20fps when in heave action. And that is only in some specific heavy areas.

Last edited:
Here you go. BF4 arrount 45fps and Crysis 3 arrount 30fps (i use the newest drivers from nvidia)

jz8ps1.jpg

14xc7iq.jpg

2uokksi.jpg

n4h8ba.jpg

15pho9i.jpg

2m7y97q.jpg

Last edited:
Meh, I would wait. GPU prices seem to be extremely inflated due to mining right now. Mostly on the AMD side, but it gives no incentive for NV to lower prices if AMD prices are inflated.

I see no reason to wait if you can grab GTX780 in affordable price. Unless you want to wait nearly a year for Maxwell which is probably going to be only slightly better

Hey Miltos2304, maybe I made a mistake earlier about my post, but I do remember that the 570 just wasn't powerful enough for my needs and settings anymore, possibly because I do like using AA and soft shadows and such which would craw the 570 in the above games. I had my 570 like 2yrs ago so can't remember...lol...

Hey Miltos2304, maybe I made a mistake earlier about my post, but I do remember that the 570 just wasn't powerful enough for my needs and settings anymore, possibly because I do like using AA and soft shadows and such which would craw the 570 in the above games. I had my 570 like 2yrs ago so can't remember...lol...

yea i feel you. With soft shadows on and AA enable the frames drop dramatically. 1.3 vram is just not enough

I'm holding out myself, I sold my 7950 and after that resent Amd experience I just picked up a 760 to tide me over as my 460 isn't cutting the mustard the way I would like. But I'm waiting to see if the k1 or what arm processor will be going into the 880

I'm holding out myself, I sold my 7950 and after that resent Amd experience I just picked up a 760 to tide me over as my 460 isn't cutting the mustard the way I would like. But I'm waiting to see if the k1 or what arm processor will be going into the 880
I'm in the exact same boat! Getting a 760 next week (up from a 460), can't wait anymore. Just trying to decide between 2gb or 4gb...

I think they're waiting to release these on 20mn, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm in the exact same boat! Getting a 760 next week (up from a 460), can't wait anymore. Just trying to decide between 2gb or 4gb...

I think they're waiting to release these on 20mn, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Iam thinking the same thing. But isn't a wast of money to buy a 230 euro card now and after 4-5 months spend like 400-500 to another one?

Iam thinking for this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeFo..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389327481&sr=8-1&keywords=760

Will i see much difference from my gtx 570 (1920x1200 resolution) in bf4,cod:ghost...etc.

So, CES is over right?
Nvidia didn't say anything about ANY desktop GPU's?

Nothing on the GTX 790, or Maxwell?

So, CES is over right?
Nvidia didn't say anything about ANY desktop GPU's?

Nothing on the GTX 790, or Maxwell?

Damn, wish Ithoufht I could tell the future!

I posted at EVGA poking fun about there "see in a few weeks" the kingpin ed. And it's almost been a month, probably longer than a month now.

Huh, there's so many opinions from all sides of the equation on this thread... I'd tell you a couple things:

1) We get a new GPU architecture every 2 years, with the intermediate years being simple refreshes/rebrandings. It has been proven time and time again that a new architecture pushes performance forward by a sizable amount, thus waiting for the new architecture is always a sensible idea - specially considering that Maxwell should bring unified memory and allow CPU/GPU to communicate directly without the need to copy/translate instructions between both).

2) Following historic releases, NVidia architecture launches of past years tend to happen in the spring, announced in march/april and with general availability by may/june. This is a weird year because TSMC's 20nm fabrication process isn't ready until the fall, but Nvidia cannot afford to wait a full year without new cards after the recent AMD R7 and R9 cards' launch. The latest rumors point to a 800 series launch with the lower enthusiast cards (think 860/870) during this spring on 28nm (the fabrication process they are using right now) and the high end 880/ti/890 on 20nm during the fall, when TSMC's new node is ready. This is speculation of course, but it is well grounded on logic.

If it makes you feel better, I'm still on my GTX470 and also waiting for Maxwell. Initially my idea was to get a x70 card every 4 years since it holds up well enough. Money is no problem for me but I just don't require constant perfection and don't want to spend that much money just for gaming (plus you slowly, progressively get used to games not looking as good as with a new GPU and when you upgrade it's a bombshell of an improvement every time :)). Still, I recently upgraded to 3 monitors and since my 470 is so old I'm now burned by not being able to do surround gaming at the moment... So I've changed my plans to buying x60/ti cards every 2 years coinciding with each architecture change, so as to not be left behind too much like I am now. I'm gladly waiting for the GTX860 to drive my triple monitor setup, and I don't mind if I have to setup the resolution to [whatever-horizontal-res]x900 to get fluid gameplay out of it.

I hope my situation helps giving you some more perspective on your purchase decision!

Last edited:
i couldnt hold any longer so i order asus oc2 gtx 770. I found a very good price for it 240 euro . I couldnt find it below 300 euro anywhere. i guess iam good for 1,5-2 years :).

Iam thinking the same thing. But isn't a wast of money to buy a 230 euro card now and after 4-5 months spend like 400-500 to another one?

Iam thinking for this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeFo..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389327481&sr=8-1&keywords=760

Will i see much difference from my gtx 570 (1920x1200 resolution) in bf4,cod:ghost...etc.

evga step up program if the card comes out in the next 3 months your covered. If not then your only out couple hundred bucks. If it comes out after oh well no big deal you took a chance. But I can't justify spending the money on a 770 or 780 with Maxwell coming out soon. Worst case scenario the 760 ends up being my backup card since my 460 has been a soldier but I wouldn't mind retiring it.

No need to wait since Maxwell isn't going to be out for high end cards before Q3 2014 and AMD has already released their cards.

Go for a GTX 780 and call it a day.

Back