Buy DDR2 800 now?

Neilyos

n00b
Like many of the rest of you, I am planning on purchasing a Conroe-based CPU relatively soon after it is released. There is a killer deal on memory going on right now, or at least it seems like it. At newegg, they have the DDR2-800 2GB kit for about $198 with a $40 MIR. It's the Corsair XMS series. What do you guys think? Once Conroe comes out, will memory prices plummet enough for this so-called "deal" to not matter? Or should I pick up this kit today and "save" $40?

LINK:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

Yeah I saw that too...while we're talking about this..

The timing look scary, but in theory, conroe shouldn't have too much of a problem with them, right?

Since both companies are on DDR2 now (for the most part), that should mean that DDR2 demand should increase, thus bringing up production as well...which should lead to lower prices come August? Or the same...or is this really one of those no-one-has-a-clue things?

gwai lo said:
Yeah I saw that too...while we're talking about this..

The timing look scary, but in theory, conroe shouldn't have too much of a problem with them, right?

Since both companies are on DDR2 now (for the most part), that should mean that DDR2 demand should increase, thus bringing up production as well...which should lead to lower prices come August? Or the same...or is this really one of those no-one-has-a-clue things?
The way I think of it is this: The more of the DEMAND, the more the manufacture wants to PROFIT from it ;)

Yeah, I'm thinking prices are either going to fall or rise dramatically.

I don't really want to pull the trigger on components a month ahead of time though.

bah...someone invent me a time machine.

Or better yet, give me 2gb of DDR2800 <_<

I'm not too scared of the timings, since first of all this is the XMS series, and second, I'm running 2 gigs of Corsair Value Select DDR2-667 in my game machine right now and it is running fantastic. Everything runs great, and I don't overclock, nor do I intend to. I'm merely intending to look at this from a financial standpoint, but if you have any other recommendations or reasons why/why not I should do this, I'd really appreciate it, since the deal ends today :)

gwai lo said:
Yeah, I'm thinking prices are either going to fall or rise dramatically.

I don't really want to pull the trigger on components a month ahead of time though.

bah...someone invent me a time machine.

Or better yet, give me 2gb of DDR2800 <_<

Couple of VAR's say prices are going up, but how much, they wouldn't say. I ordered the G.Skill for $189.

Prices should go up. More demand, equal supply, higher prices. Have to think of all the OEM's purchasing up stock as well.

Yesterday I read an article which said the ddr2 prices will go up.

Then 5 minutes later I read another article which said the prices will go down.

Both are correct actually, it will most likely (just guessing here) go up for the 2-3 months after conroe is released, but then when production amps up it will then come back down.

Truth is no one truly knows, its very difficult to say, everyone is guessing, even top analysts are guessing cause the industry is so finicky.

Drexion said:
Yesterday I read an article which said the ddr2 prices will go up.

Then 5 minutes later I read another article which said the prices will go down.

Both are correct actually, it will most likely (just guessing here) go up for the 2-3 months after conroe is released, but then when production amps up it will then come back down.

Truth is no one truly knows, its very difficult to say, everyone is guessing, even top analysts are guessing cause the industry is so finicky.

QFT! I just wanted it on hand as well.

I would start stocking up on DDR2 now, because of greater demand + apparent supply shortage = $$$

.....and PC OEM's making the switch is going to put a squeeze on things too.

I hurried and got my RAM mid last month on a good deal :). 2x1GB OCZ Platinum XTC 4-5-4 PC2-6400/DDR2-800mhz :D! It should be great... now I just need an mATX Conroe board and the chip itself, pre-ordered mid last month from Buy.com, to come in!

As long as the manufacturers dont starts ganging up on use consumers again i think we should be fine. Conroe will do more for DDR2 than AM@ has done thus far so i would say that DDR production will start to ramp down faster.
For now, ddr2 availability will depend a lot on Conroe demand (and AM2)
and we KNOW how the Conroe demand is going (at least, among ourselves)

tweak your timings. i've got my DDR2 667 running at 4-3-3-4. Just have fun and try some combinations out. XMS isn't bad stuff. Look at what some people with DDR2 1000 along with a 975XBX go to. I've seen 4-3-2-1. crazy bastards, lol.

GoldenTiger said:
I hurried and got my RAM mid last month on a good deal :). 2x1GB OCZ Platinum XTC 4-5-4 PC2-6400/DDR2-800mhz :D! It should be great... now I just need an mATX Conroe board and the chip itself, pre-ordered mid last month from Buy.com, to come in!

I got this stuff too at Outpost for $149 shipped. KILLER DEAL :)

I hope it kicks arse!

StealthyFish said:
tweak your timings. i've got my DDR2 667 running at 4-3-3-4. Just have fun and try some combinations out. XMS isn't bad stuff. Look at what some people with DDR2 1000 along with a 975XBX go to. I've seen 4-3-2-1. crazy bastards, lol.

why? isn't DDR2 fast enough to be latent?

Brahmzy said:
I got this stuff too at Outpost for $149 shipped. KILLER DEAL :)

I hope it kicks arse!

Same here :D! I have heard good things about this RAM... here's hoping!

GoldenTiger said:
Same here :D! I have heard good things about this RAM... here's hoping!

I've got my kit laying here on my desk. I hope i get a Conroe CPU and board soon so that i can test it out!

the new DDR2 is pretty pricey. I've been looking at the mushkin redline PC22-8000 and they run $228 per GB.

Damn

streamliner said:
the new DDR2 is pretty pricey. I've been looking at the mushkin redline PC22-8000 and they run $228 per GB.

Damn

Overkill!

I jumped on a deal similar to that Corsair XMS at Outpost a couple weeks ago...$197 shipped with a $50 MIR for the OCZ gold 5-5-5-12.

I say go for it.

well, I pulled the trigger, since I only had 3 hours left to make the decision. Oh well, Conroe had better astound and amaze me :)

Back