Buy Catleap Or Wait On Overlord?

I ordered a Catleap 2b extreme. If you are going to order a regular Catleap, I'd wait. From what I've read the recent price increase is temporary. I almost ordered one about tens days ago when it was $309 shipped, but now they are over $400.

edit: I see they are down a bit to the 360 range but I'd give it some more time.

Are you talking about OC models? If not, just buy a cheap shimian for $290 or w/e they are. If yes then:

How fast do you need it? Overlord OC models are late October at the earliest (although preorder now). 120Hz Catleaps are shipping within a week (supposedly...).

Where do you live? OC catleaps are $555 flatrate world-wide. OC Overlords are cheaper, buy you pay for shipping which could be harsh.

Buy overlord for any model if you want a piece of mind and a great product. Buying my second one as soon as pay day hits.

I am also on the same boat. My only concern is that there aren't any overlord o/c models out so nobody has a review about the build, panel quality and such, with the catleap you have an idea of the issues and problems.
you can
a) buy a catleap and possibly have it shipped as soon as next week.
b) pre-order overlord but there is a small chance that it might be delayed beyond the normal launch time. Don't know if there are any manufacturing flaws, error or issues because this is probably going to be the initial beta launch.
Really comes down to how much are you willing to wait for your monitor. Overlords will have a nicer warranty, support, they are offering A pannels not A-, price you can save or cost more on the overlord depending where it will be shipped, catleap flat-priced with shipping. If there is a delay on the overlord they will charge cash on pre-order, what if there is a delay on the shipping and you go beyond the 30 days of being charged? can cancel but wont be allowed to order or moved off the list and other ppl move up.

Both have identical panels and electronics, the only difference being the monitor housing/stand.

It is a completely different housing compared to the catleaps, but you really can't make it that much smaller. Most likely a better stand though.

Catleaps use "A-" panels on ebay. The ones from 120Hz.net supposedly use a somewhat higher tier in their most recent order since they are custom-made but there is little to no verification of that.

Overlord checks their panels. Pixel perfect orders ($25 fee) are just that. The rest are what's left out of the batch of monitors (although advertised as "A" grade). Their panel order is indeed "A" grade overall though.

For those who pre-ordered the Overlord, did they charge the full amount on your credit card or will they charge upon shipping?

It says it in the FAQ you will be charged as soon as you order for Overlord.

I would get the 120hz overlord monitor to futureproof myself. Even if I couldnt use 120hz now, the next gen nvidia and amd cards would easily be able to run 1440p at 120+ fps .

It says it in the FAQ you will be charged as soon as you order for Overlord.

I would get the 120hz overlord monitor to futureproof myself. Even if I couldnt use 120hz now, the next gen nvidia and amd cards would easily be able to run 1440p at 120+ fps .

I ask because I placed my preorder and got hit with a pending charge. 2 days later it disappeared. I thought that was odd, as I was expecting to be fully charged (based on the FAQ you cited). Just wondering what happened to others who pre-ordered.

I ask because I placed my preorder and got hit with a pending charge. 2 days later it disappeared. I thought that was odd, as I was expecting to be fully charged (based on the FAQ you cited). Just wondering what happened to others who pre-ordered.

You might want to email Scribby about this and verify your order was processed.

Tom1983
Its a cheap korean monitor that uses rejected LG panels.

While that is a fact, it is also a bit misleading. The same thing is done with GPU's, CPU's, computer memory and components. The term used is called "binning" where the items are made in batches the the best are sold at a premium say a GTX 680, these that can not make the grade are called GTX 670's. Remember when the big craze was unlocking core's on a CPU? Same thing!! If there is a market for it then why not sell it? They are sold at a lower price and fit the needs of the person buying it. Also there is more to a monitor than just the panel. The electronics inside are just as important.

Also do not forget what you are buying when you buy a big brand name. To build the brand name they have to advertise. To sell the individual product they also have to advertise. The bigger the "brand" the more markets they advertise in. This cost is passed on to the buyer. Therefore, smaller companies that are basically just doing a Public Relations(PR) & word-of-mouth campaign can sell a similar product or even a better one at the same or lower price.

Look up Yamakasi on Youtube and go here http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

Its a cheap korean monitor that uses rejected LG panels.

I just bought one of those Catleap's with the "rejected LG panels":rolleyes: 1440P with zero dead/stuck pixels at 120hz is awesome. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.;)

I just bought one of those Catleap's with the "rejected LG panels":rolleyes: 1440P with zero dead/stuck pixels at 120hz is awesome. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.;)

Who did you get it from? I wanna get one of these suckers but honestly don't know the difference between catleap and acheiva. There any solid prices on freshly stocked reputable sellers you know about?

Who did you get it from? I wanna get one of these suckers but honestly don't know the difference between catleap and acheiva. There any solid prices on freshly stocked reputable sellers you know about?

Well,

...120hz...

Means 120Hz.net. The Ebay seller they use is greensum. Do note that the 120Hz versions are a custom batch and not necessarily related to the ones he sells on ebay with respect to panel issues.

The difference between Catleaps and Achieva Shimians is merely aesthetics and stand (catleap is worse, though they are both poor). And price, if there is any difference there. Personally, I don't believe the "bottom of the barrel" theory on current stock, but it could be true. It is pretty hard to know with these sellers, tbh.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention I also purchased a 120Hz Catleap off of 120Hz.net (months ago, first batch), and it is a completely flawless panel as well.

Well,

Means 120Hz.net. The Ebay seller they use is greensum. Do note that the 120Hz versions are a custom batch and not necessarily related to the ones he sells on ebay with respect to panel issues.

The difference between Catleaps and Achieva Shimians is merely aesthetics and stand (catleap is worse, though they are both poor). And price, if there is any difference there. Personally, I don't believe the "bottom of the barrel" theory on current stock, but it could be true. It is pretty hard to know with these sellers, tbh.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention I also purchased a 120Hz Catleap off of 120Hz.net (months ago, first batch), and it is a completely flawless panel as well.

Yes I bought it from the latest batch of panels from 120hz.net. Very happy with the purchase so far.

Sno I've seen you post there. ;)

Sno I've seen you post there. ;)

Once or twice... ;)

Anyways, I know this thread is now miles off topic, but 120hz.net is currently sold out. Next batch is "hopefully weeks not months away". Anybody know what Overlord's preorder stock looks like on the OC models right now?

Once or twice... ;)

Anyways, I know this thread is now miles off topic, but 120hz.net is currently sold out. Next batch is "hopefully weeks not months away". Anybody know what Overlord's preorder stock looks like on the OC models right now?

Not at this time (that I'm aware of). What is known is that there's a slight delay due to manufacturing issues overseas and a national week-long holiday. Hoping to have mine in hand by end of October so I can report on how the OC works out.

Overlord has its own forum, too, for those wanting to watch that show up close.

Hello guys!

I just discovered about 2 weeks ago, if there are 120Hz monitors with IPS panels available allready. I found this two options, the Catleap "2B" and the Overlord Tempest "OC". I found not too many informations about the technical details of theese displays, but they seem very similar to me. Does anyone know anything about the color gamuts, and the input lags of theese monitors? I prefer wide gamut (specially by gaming), and of course lower lag. Does anyone know, wich one can be faster, and wich one has wider color space?

Back