Burger Making Robot Can Make 360 Per Hour

Robots cannot repair our physical infrastructure, overhaul the grid, install Google fiber in every major city.

Classes are overcrowded with students, but a freshman in college is going to look at K-12 education in the next 10 years and steer clear of it unless they are a bit masochistic. And it's very unlikely for, sa, an MBA who was laid off to teach at a white collar high school, even if they could directly tell students how to write business memos, lead projects, delegate, conference with vendors, travel and give presentations, etc.

maybe we can get a patriot act type of law passed that lets us shoot on sight with no repercussions!!

This is disturbing.

You can already have a vicious dog (depending on the breed) to protect your property, or SHOW your gun and 99.9% of the time someone stealing copper will flee.

Efficiency has always been a doubled edged sword (assuming that's the right trope).

More automation means more efficiency means stuff gets cheaper to produce means stuff gets cheaper to buy. Great.

More automation means more efficiency means fewer employees means more unemployed means fewer people able to buy stuff. Bad.

We SHOULD always strive for greater efficiency. Why waste time/energy/resources when you don't have to? But we also can't just ignore the people who get discarded (and who don't have the means or desire to retrain themselves) as a consequence of progress. Its a crappy problem to have to deal with (nature resolves it by killing off the discarded ones, but civilization doesn't have such a convenient option).

Increase beeficiency!

If it frees up more time for someone, they can probably do more cleaning. I'm not a big Chipotle fan, but they are on a different level than burger joints.

If it's not cheaper, no business will go this route, therefore lets assume this lowers costs:

Cheaper burgers prices for customers mean I (customer) have more money to hire a maid, welcome ex-burger flipping maid. Also cheaper burgers mean this business is out-competing others.

Cheaper burgers mean I have more money to expand my product offerings, so lets change that burger flipper over to a burger delivery person to out compete Spongebob's drive through. I'm too lazy to drive to the drive through.

Cheaper burgers mean we can have humans cooking better (or just different) food and still be "fast." Now I also have a larger varity of food to choose from which gives this "Burgers +" place a competitive niche.

Now as a customer I can get cheaper burgers or free delivery or more variety..... All without a single human loosing their job. Efficiency++

Call me when the burger robot can actually cook fast enough to satisfy my hunger.

The burger in that picture is terrible! Bun is burnt, there's way too much onion. Burger is as thick as tomato slice :confused:. That sandwich is more toppings than meat.

You suck Burgeon. You can't make hamburgers if you don't have that love feel for a greasy burger.

When Burgeon asks "Why do humans like grease?" How will you answer it?

Same thing I was thinking.... burnt bun! WTF?

I had a great idea for a machine.
Make a machine that could slaughter a cow into one end of the machine and spit out a cooked hamburger out the other end. Imagine the freshness! Even better, let the customer watch the cow getting slowly dragged in and ground up ass end first!

Ooo, I'm getting hungry!

Actually it does and you can thank everything we have for the more general efficiency gain in all areas of life. Just think outside your box, imagine you are a human before well anything you hunt and gather. You have to cover a huge amount of land then one day you neibor walks up to you and says, guess what, yuou dont have to spend 12 hours / day hunting and gathering, because I picked a plant and grew it all right here now I am clearing land and cultivating it. That was the first type of automation so to speak. Now people turn into farmers, then cycle after cycle of efficiency gains happen, people learn to hybridize plants to make more food in the same amount of land, domesticate animals to get rid of hunting. Each time some ignorant caveman said but I lost my job, I am now obsolete because no one needs my expertise to find the berry patch. But each time this happens the system does not collapse, no contrary to what the ignorant cave man thinks it progresses because life becomes more secure, people learn to retask themself to other jobs and start specializing and building more tools and thinking which results in even more efficiency gains. And the best part is people start wanting more than they ever had before and other people start to deliver it. Efficiency and resources are exactly why America is a rich nation, not any other bullshit you heard.
Well said. ...and last I checked, as awesome as George Jetson's world was - he still had a job. Welcome to the future, cave man.

Burgeon, the burgermeister! :D
Actually, it would be cool to eat a burger made by a robot, simply, because it was made by a robot.

nature resolves it by killing off the discarded ones, but civilization doesn't have such a convenient option

Yes it has, and it's very simple - only one child per couple. No more. The sooner this gets mandated globally, the better.

The end goal of this is we dont need as many people over a hundred years ago think about how many people had to work on farms to get us the food we need, we dont need that many people now a days (for some of it at least) famlies are smaller because we dont need as many people having less unskilled jobs is not a bad thing.

Then may God have mercy on their souls.

Are you talking about the God who said “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth..."? Did he tell you about some change of plan or is this just your 'enlightened' opinion? Pray tell, how would a one-child-per-family limit be imposed. Forced sterilization and forced abortions?

It seems that China has a solution for everything that ails this world. :rolleyes:

Say what? Would you honestly prefer mass starvation instead of sterilization when it comes to this? I am not aware of more humane method of dealing with overpopulation then strict birth control. Twins and triplets surely need to be an exception, though baby boomers need to go. Now they are given incentive as if it's a good thing to consume more.

Say what? Would you honestly prefer mass starvation instead of sterilization when it comes to this? I am not aware of more humane method of dealing with overpopulation then strict birth control. Twins and triplets surely need to be an exception, though baby boomers need to go. Now they are given incentive as if it's a good thing to consume more.

Why limit births when you could mandate that once a person turns 18 that they either have a job or report to the gas chambers? Eliminating retirees and unemployed adults will free up those same resources, right?

You sure love baseless crazy assumptions.

You sure love baseless crazy assumptions.

First, how about you enlighten me to your grand plan to implement this population limiting suggestion of yours. That way there are no assumptions for you to complain about. I'm the kind of person who thinks that when someone proposes something really stupid that it isn't too much to ask them if they have a plan to implement it. Second, my counter suggestion for population control was to see if you were open to options or are suffering from IGMFY Syndrome.

Gonna give a whole new meaning to grease burger. I wouldnt want a burger from a vending machine.
This is the key point.

Could produce far more consistent results.

The taco bell by my house for example is AWESOME, but without fail the one by my work is, well, fail. I kept going different times of the week, and the staff there need to be replaced by robots ASAP.

Society can only advance if monotonous simple tasks are automated, allowing the people to put their time/effort to more productive things. Heck, even if it just means learning to maintain a robot. That one person now effectively makes 360 burgers an hour (or more if he can maintain the bots at multiple facilities).

Regarding young people with no other skillset though, there's always prostitution. Trickle down economics from us old guys.

People do not go to Mickey D's or, any other restaurant ( I can't believe I'm referring to McD's as a restaurant), just for food. Even tech geeks seek socialization at some level.

Back